ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts
Default Reason Optimism

Our young secondary. This may be a hell of a reach, in fact it is a hell of a reach. But I'm throwing it out there anyway!

Hooker, Wilson and Hairston remind me of way back in'81 when Bill Walsh realized that his '80 49rs needed desperate help in the secondary and drafted Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Willimson in 1st through 3rd rounds and paired them with Dwight Hicks.

Ballard has kind of done the same thing with our young trio to pair with Vontae Davis. Also, I like some of the other pieces of the secondary as well. Melvin isn't a bad player. Farley seems to be coming along nicely, and if we can ever get Geathers back to play rover back/nickel LB for us, this could be a really solid group.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-18-2017), DrSpaceman (09-18-2017), Racehorse (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Remarkably the passing stats did not look great for the secondary this week. 36 attempts by the Cards for 332 yards.

however there was the one INT and the QBR (if you like that stat) decreased from 65.7 for Goff the week before to 45.8 for Palmer.

I agree though I like the way the secondary is looking. Once Davis is back, I think it will be strong and I like what I have seen from Wilson, Hooker, Farley so far. They made mistakes but they will get better

What really hurt this past game was the two dropped INTs, one by Wilson and one by I forget, almost identical, short passes in the flat around the opponents 20 yard and if they get those, like they run them in for scores. Even one of those plays made and the Colts win the game.

Even more encouraging, look at the rushing stats so far for the Colts D:
58 rushes for 146 yards, average 2.5 yards per carry, which is 3rd in the league, and maybe most important the long run is 12 yards, though they did call back one long run by the Cards on a holding call, were bailed out and it just looked bad by the team.

In general though the D I think is going to be solid EXCEPT the LBers. That is still going to be the problem. over the middle pass coverage, pass rush.

Wilson and Hooker both made some great plays this past game. The long TD, just a great pass and catch. Hard to cover much better.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:26 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Remarkably the passing stats did not look great for the secondary this week. 36 attempts by the Cards for 332 yards.

however there was the one INT and the QBR (if you like that stat) decreased from 65.7 for Goff the week before to 45.8 for Palmer.

I agree though I like the way the secondary is looking. Once Davis is back, I think it will be strong and I like what I have seen from Wilson, Hooker, Farley so far. They made mistakes but they will get better

What really hurt this past game was the two dropped INTs, one by Wilson and one by I forget, almost identical, short passes in the flat around the opponents 20 yard and if they get those, like they run them in for scores. Even one of those plays made and the Colts win the game.

Even more encouraging, look at the rushing stats so far for the Colts D:
58 rushes for 146 yards, average 2.5 yards per carry, which is 3rd in the league, and maybe most important the long run is 12 yards, though they did call back one long run by the Cards on a holding call, were bailed out and it just looked bad by the team.

In general though the D I think is going to be solid EXCEPT the LBers. That is still going to be the problem. over the middle pass coverage, pass rush.

Wilson and Hooker both made some great plays this past game. The long TD, just a great pass and catch. Hard to cover much better.
I'm very encouraged by the secondary, but a couple quibbles. Farley did not "drop" that possible pick. It was just out of his reach to make a catch on it. Also, the long TD was great coverage, but Wilson completely whiffed on the deflection. He took a full downward swat and simply missed the ball.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I'm very encouraged by the secondary, but a couple quibbles. Farley did not "drop" that possible pick. It was just out of his reach to make a catch on it. Also, the long TD was great coverage, but Wilson completely whiffed on the deflection. He took a full downward swat and simply missed the ball.
I agree, I thought Wilson made a great play on that ball, I was stunned to be honest. Great play and I think it was less than a 25% change that the receiver caught it... he just got luckier than us.

It's hard to pick that TD to complain about when it was great, uncharacteristic coverage in a very close game where Donte Moncrief was catching only 2 of 8 targets.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I cant find a replay of the Farley play, but it hit him right on both hands.

I still like how both of them play though.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
I cant find a replay of the Farley play, but it hit him right on both hands.

I still like how both of them play though.
I thought the same thing live, but the broadcast showed a different angle where he was fully stretched and only got his fingertips to the ball. A couple more inches and a pick would've been possible, but he did all he could.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:24 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

I just thought it was cool to see Wilson & Hooker combining out there. They had a few plays where Wilson blanketed the receiver the whole time and Hooker came up with the PBU or pick. Annoying as it is to feed into unearned hype ... yeah, it kinda did look like Chris McAlister & Ed Reed a bit out there.

I like what Colts have at CB (if Vontae healthy, Vontae/Quincy/Hairston as top three with Melvin as solid reserve). I'm still a little wary of safety. Arrow's up on Hooker, but I don't really know about Farley yet. Darius Butler had flashes at FS last year, but may just be a bit banged-up and long in the tooth at this stage to offer that much range.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-18-2017), VeveJones007 (09-18-2017)