ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-15-2018, 05:11 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

That's not how the first half played out.

The Colts had a successful goal line stand late in the 2nd quarter, in a very similar fashion in which they had against the Ravens in the regular season. From their own 1 yardline, the Colts' offense then ran 3 conservative running plays for 9 yards, and were forced to punt. That sequence of events is what gave the Saints a short field to work with with less than a minute to play in the half, and they subsequently kicked a field goal to close the gap from 10-3 to 10-6.

The missed 51-yard field goal attempt by Stover occurred early in the 4th quarter, with the Colts clinging to a 17-16 lead.

I believe that you are correct about Stover, though ........ he was in his last season in the NFL, and at 42 years-old he was very reliable from inside of 45 yards at that point in his career, but not so much from deeper than that.

o

Didn't Garcon drop a pass during that play sequence? I recall him dropping a key pass that not only would have given the Colts a first down but there was a ton of green in front of him that he may have even be able to take it to the house.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
Pez (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:05 AM
Accidental Administrator

It sucks that someone brought this up. I had managed to thoroughly suppress that game from memory... it's like picking a scab.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 12-16-2018, 06:23 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
o

That's not how the first half played out.

The Colts had a successful goal line stand late in the 2nd quarter, in a very similar fashion in which they had against the Ravens in the regular season. From their own 1 yardline, the Colts' offense then ran 3 conservative running plays for 9 yards, and were forced to punt. That sequence of events is what gave the Saints a short field to work with with less than a minute to play in the half, and they subsequently kicked a field goal to close the gap from 10-3 to 10-6.

The missed 51-yard field goal attempt by Stover occurred early in the 4th quarter, with the Colts clinging to a 17-16 lead.

I believe that you are correct about Stover, though ........ he was in his last season in the NFL, and at 42 years-old he was very reliable from inside of 45 yards at that point in his career, but not so much from deeper than that.

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post

Didn't Garcon drop a pass during that play sequence? I recall him dropping a key pass that not only would have given the Colts a first down but there was a ton of green in front of him that he may have even be able to take it to the house.

o

Garcon dropped a crucial pass in the game, but it was not during that sequence, it was just prior to that sequence.

With the Colts already ahead by a score of 10-3 in the 2nd quarter, they had a 3rd down from their own 28-yardline. Garcon was wide open. Manning hit him well beyond the first down sticks, but Pierre dropped the ball, forcing the Colts to punt.

In fact, with Garcon's speed and with him being as wide open as he was (and with the position on the field in which the Saints' defensive backs were in when the pass was thrown), it has been speculated that Pierre very well may have scored a touchdown on that play had he caught the ball, which would have given Manning and company a commanding 17-3 lead ........ a lead that would have been unlikely to be blown by that 2009 Colts team.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (12-16-2018), YDFL Commish (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 10:53 AM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
o

Garcon dropped a crucial pass in the game, but it was not during that sequence, it was just prior to that sequence.

With the Colts already ahead by a score of 10-3 in the 2nd quarter, they had a 3rd down from their own 28-yardline. Garcon was wide open. Manning hit him well beyond the first down sticks, but Pierre dropped the ball, forcing the Colts to punt.

In fact, with Garcon's speed and with him being as wide open as he was (and with the position on the field in which the Saints' defensive backs were in when the pass was thrown), it has been speculated that Pierre very well may have scored a touchdown on that play had he caught the ball, which would have given Manning and company a commanding 17-3 lead ........ a lead that would have been unlikely to be blown by that 2009 Colts team.

o
Thanks. I just remember the drop because it was an oh shit this is not good moment. You know, I've never re-watched that game, looked at the stats, anything connected to that game. Such a grand choke job horrible SB.