ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,615 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
You have to be a complete moron not to know that a game where people smash into each other repeatedly is unsafe. It didn't matter if they were transparent or not, lawsuits would have been filed, but you can't file lawsuits and then complain about what someone is forced to do as a result of them. Them not telling the players the game wasn't safe is like mcdonald's not telling people that coffee is hot. In either case, it didn't matter that people didn't have common sense, the lawsuits were still filed.
I think the problem is whether the NFL is fully forthcoming or have withheld research they have done. If the players were making fully informed decisions that is one thing, but if they believed that they were not doing any lasting hard and then the NFL withheld information so they would continue to play, that is definitely a violation.

Also that McD's case is thrown around a lot as a common sense case, but when you get into the details McD's actually looks pretty liable.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:43 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I think the problem is whether the NFL is fully forthcoming or have withheld research they have done. If the players were making fully informed decisions that is one thing, but if they believed that they were not doing any lasting hard and then the NFL withheld information so they would continue to play, that is definitely a violation.

Also that McD's case is thrown around a lot as a common sense case, but when you get into the details McD's actually looks pretty liable.
I understand that it's an issue that can make it worthy of a lawsuit, but what I'm saying is that you have to be dumb as shit to not know that you're doing short term and long term damage to yourself with constant violent collisions with another human being. So could they sue? Yes, of course, obviously. They had a case, but in reality, you're dumb as hell if you didn't understand that you were doing damage to yourself playing football.

The players decided to go the legal route and once they did, then they have to understand that the NFL now has no choice but to try to make the game "safer" or risk MORE lawsuits. Blame the NFL if you want, but they had no choice once the lawsuits started.

Last edited by Maniac; 08-23-2018 at 03:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 06:57 PM

As some have mentioned, there is inherent risk of serious injury in this sport and to pretend this sport will have the same mass appeal with these types of changes is foolish. Instead of changing the game, I'm a proponent of sharing the risk. Someone mentioned education, but that's not enough. If I were the league in the next CBA i would negotiate adding a standard indemnification clause in the contract releasing the team and league from liability from injuries that are a natural consequence for this sport. In exchange for this clause id agree to give the players some fixed % of their annual contract for any season ending injury and a slightly bigger payout for any career ending injury. This of course would need to be managed outside the salary cap. I think most owners should be willing to trade in the uncertainty of of one unpredictable massive payout for a predicable cost of doing business.....and just pass it along to their sponsors and customers like they do other costs. I think the players will value getting "insurance" hat they won't end up on the streets with no marketable skills and no way to support themselves.....
Old 08-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
I understand that it's an issue that can make it worthy of a lawsuit, but what I'm saying is that you have to be dumb as shit to not know that you're doing short term and long term damage to yourself with constant violent collisions with another human being. So could they sue? Yes, of course, obviously. They had a case, but in reality, you're dumb as hell if you didn't understand that you were doing damage to yourself playing football.

The players decided to go the legal route and once they did, then they have to understand that the NFL now has no choice but to try to make the game "safer" or risk MORE lawsuits. Blame the NFL if you want, but they had no choice once the lawsuits started.
Owners need add a "Play at your own risk" clause, before agreeing to another CBA Agreement. You will make great money but may be injured, or go flip burgers and mow yards. Imagine most would buy right in...
Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Owners need add a "Play at your own risk" clause, before agreeing to another CBA Agreement. You will make great money but may be injured, or go flip burgers and mow yards. Imagine most would buy right in...
They should do a better job of taking care of players health in the long term. And players know what they are doing
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (08-23-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Session View Post
I’ve been saying this for a couple of years now.

Players should be educated and fully understand the inherent risks of the job at the professional level. Changing the pro game is not the correct path imo. Being honest about the risks and letting players make that decision for themselves is the path that needs to be taken.

If we are worried about children. Put them in equipment that will not allow them to be capable of getting hurt. Kids who are boxing at an amateur level have head gear and thick gloves that prevent any kid other than mike Tyson from being able to really hurt the other one.
Want to play in the NFL from 2018 on sign a waiver. I think we are all on board with what transpired when NFL was found to have hidden vital info/data on head trauma. Knowing what is known now if you are still pursuing an opportunity to play football then the NFL should be released from all liability regarding head injuries moving forward.

If someone today begins a pack a day cigarette habit they should have no recourse anywhere in their future should they become ill as a result. Same if you decide to pursue a football career.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indycolts2 For This Useful Post:
FatDT (08-24-2018), Mr. Session (08-24-2018), Racehorse (08-24-2018), smitty46953 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:12 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
That would be ideal. The biggest issue with this is the perception issue and media. They were criticized quite a bit for not doing enough for player safety in the media.

Personally I would prefer for them to keep things how they were and have a waiver of liability added like you and others have mentioned. I hate the changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,609 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
That would be ideal. The biggest issue with this is the perception issue and media. They were criticized quite a bit for not doing enough for player safety in the media.

Personally I would prefer for them to keep things how they were and have a waiver of liability added like you and others have mentioned. I hate the changes.
The chances of the players union agreeing to this are about the same as the chances of driving your car to the moon. It's just not going to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Maniac (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

"This is unwatchable" - thousands of guys who continue to watch the NFL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (08-24-2018), Racehorse (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:07 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
"This is unwatchable" - thousands of guys who continue to watch the NFL
exactly