ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 12:19 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts
Default 2018 NFL Draft Tidbits

I am starting to see some tidbits thrown out there by football reports about the 2018 draft. Throw them out there for discussion if you think they fit.

To start, from Peter King's 19 March MMQB:
Quote:
I had one GM tell me his team has about 70 players on its draft board rated as starter-quality, which strikes me as about right judging how teams have told me they’re judging this draft.
Which means picking up 2 additional selections in the top 50 like Ballard did with his trade to the Jets was pretty important for the team rebuild.

Also, specific to the Colts:
Quote:
Before we analyze the winner and loser in the big weekend Jets-Colts deal, I’ll make one prediction: There’s a good chance the Colts aren’t done trading yet. After dealing from three to six, I could see them moving down one more time before the April 26 first round. GM Chris Ballard said as much to his team’s website Saturday, and I can add a confirmation to that. Ballard’s going to try.
Thoughts? If either Chubb or Nelson are still on the board at #6, I would nab them.

However, if you are in the camp that there are only about 70 starter quality guys in the draft, then getting a 6th pick in the top 70 by trading down is pretty big. We have 5 already but by trading down to about #8 or #9, you could end up getting another late 2nd round or early 3rd round pick. You probably miss out on Chubb or Nelson but there are a lot of other good looking guys in the next tier down.

Thoughts?

Walk Worthy,
Old 03-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I am starting to see some tidbits thrown out there by football reports about the 2018 draft. Throw them out there for discussion if you think they fit.

To start, from Peter King's 19 March MMQB:

Which means picking up 2 additional selections in the top 50 like Ballard did with his trade to the Jets was pretty important for the team rebuild.

Also, specific to the Colts:

Thoughts? If either Chubb or Nelson are still on the board at #6, I would nab them.

However, if you are in the camp that there are only about 70 starter quality guys in the draft, then getting a 6th pick in the top 70 by trading down is pretty big. We have 5 already but by trading down to about #8 or #9, you could end up getting another late 2nd round or early 3rd round pick. You probably miss out on Chubb or Nelson but there are a lot of other good looking guys in the next tier down.

Thoughts?

Walk Worthy,
My thought is the gap between Chubb and the next best defender is too great to trade down again. They have to stay put for Chubb if he's there, Tampa will take him at 7 if the Colts trade down again. If Chubb is somehow not there at 6, then you can trade down.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM
testcase448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
My thought is the gap between Chubb and the next best defender is too great to trade down again. They have to stay put for Chubb if he's there, Tampa will take him at 7 if the Colts trade down again. If Chubb is somehow not there at 6, then you can trade down.
or better than trading down take Nelson
Old 03-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcase448 View Post
or better than trading down take Nelson
Not a fan of Nelson unless the team trades out of the top 15. I just don't see the positional value being there.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
agree as long we dont trade down too far.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:46 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

If Chubb's there I would take him. If he's not, and especially if somehow one of the top QBs is still on the board, I'd push hard for Buffalo's 2 1st round picks. Should be able to get a premier defensive player and a non-Nelson guard with those. Or possibly Nelson at 12, though I dont' think he'll drop that far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (03-22-2018), VeveJones007 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
If Chubb's there I would take him. If he's not, and especially if somehow one of the top QBs is still on the board, I'd push hard for Buffalo's 2 1st round picks. Should be able to get a premier defensive player and a non-Nelson guard with those. Or possibly Nelson at 12, though I dont' think he'll drop that far.
exactly right

drop down and hope for landry at 12. but if chubb is there take him
Old 03-22-2018, 08:13 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
exactly right

I would target Roquon Smith at 12 if he’s there. He would be a beast on the fast surface at LOS.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:16 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I would target Roquon Smith at 12 if he’s there. He would be a beast on the fast surface at LOS.
not over the pass rusher.

although i do like him and wouldnt be mad
Old 03-22-2018, 11:13 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
exactly right

Hope for Landry at 12? He's going to go a lot later than that.