ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Trade down, get an extra 3rd, and pick two edge rushes in the first three rounds.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Hasson Reddick, Temple, is my choice.

Perhaps he did not play against the best competition (ACC) but he has great stats and has shown ability in pass rush, run stop and coverage.

He is my guy.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yep, Reddick is going to be a stud. Would love to move back into the 20's, get an extra pick, and grab him.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I won't pretend to be a draft expert. I can watch college tape and read articles just like anybody with an internet connection. That said, our last GM proved that having a job evaluating talent for an NFL team, and the resources that provides, doesn't make you good at it.

My general thought, especially with our coaching staff, is that I'd much rather draft an NFL-ready prospect than a "tools" project. We don't have the proven staff to develop a player like that, nor do we have veteran leaders to teach them. Someone that's already strong, played at an NFL weight in college, and developed technique rather than just running round blockers because he was lighter and faster than the D3 tackles trying to catch him.

So that's the type of player I am hoping to draft in the first three rounds. Some players that seem to fit that this year are:

Derek Barnett - DE - Tennessee
6'3, 265 lbs.

30+ sacks and 50+ TFLs in his career. Holy shit. Good athlete, already has pass rush moves and knows how to battle and beat blockers (including this year's #1 OT Cam Robinson). His game should translate to the NFL. Famous for recognizing an uncovered WR pre-snap and covering him and breaking up the pass 25 yards downfield. Has the flu at the Combine but still ran all the drills less than a day after throwing up multiple times. This guy is my #1 for the Colts in the 1st. I would trade up to get him.

Solomon Thomas - DE - Stanford
6'3, 270 lbs.

I know, Stanferdz. But he is athletic, football smart, plays hard, strong, and knows how to fight blockers and use several pass rush moves. I like Barnett a little more for the way he finishes but Thomas would be a great #1 pick and might be more NFL ready to play in space.

Demarcus Walker - DE - Florida State
6'4, 280 lbs.

16 sacks, 21.5 TFLs, 3 forced fumbles, against quality competition. 25 sacks in 2 years. 8 batted passes in his career. Good athlete, big NFL-sized body and strength, showed he can play in space and has good play awareness. Knows pass rush moves and uses them. He seems pretty underrated to me. If we could get him later, in the 2nd or 3rd, we'd have a steal, but I am guessing NFL staffs think highly of him.

Charles Harris - DE/OLB - Missouri
6'3, 255 lbs.

Solid spin move, fast first step, played well in an attacking 1-gap D but not as well when his DC changed. I'm not sure he's ready to be an OLB right away but he attacks the passer well. I think he would fit other teams better than ours and would be disappointed to get him in the 1st.

TJ Watt - OLB - Wisconsin
6'5, 243 lbs.

Knows some moves, shows play strength, ran a fast 40 and showed solid (not great) speed on the field, had good production his final year, and has room to grow physically. I would rather get him in the 2nd.

The rest of the prospects like Taco Charlton (DL-only IMO, effort and athleticism issues), Tim Williams (too small, character concerns), Carl Lawson (injuries), Takkarist McKinley (raw), and others don't interest me enough to do a lot of research. Doesn't mean they won't be successful, I just don't see them as the right fit for the Colts this year.
I Like your list. I've already stated that Barnett is my guy, and I don't expect that to change.

I've also stated that that I don't know what to make of Hassan Reddick. But I do believe that him and TJ Watt are probably guys that you could line up all over the field. At the very least they could play a Clay Matthews role and move inside or outside.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I Like your list. I've already stated that Barnett is my guy, and I don't expect that to change.

I've also stated that that I don't know what to make of Hassan Reddick. But I do believe that him and TJ Watt are probably guys that you could line up all over the field. At the very least they could play a Clay Matthews role and move inside or outside.
I like Barnett a lot...I just don't think he'll be there at 15.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
This draft is so deep.....the Browns are going to be a really good team in 2 to 3 years time as they have 5 picks in the first 65 selections and are likely to get 5 guys who in some years could all have been 1st rounders.

I would love for the Colts to try to trade down and acquire an additional pick in the 2nd or early 3rd round........there is great depth at RB's, LB's and DB's all of which are major needs, especially LB's.
The Browns are the team of the future and always will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:08 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Reddick is an interesting player but I wouldn't burn a first on him. I see him as a complimentary player. He's someone you use to exploit mismatches. Great speed, but not ready to play 3 downs in the NFL.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:18 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Reddick is an interesting player but I wouldn't burn a first on him. I see him as a complimentary player. He's someone you use to exploit mismatches. Great speed, but not ready to play 3 downs in the NFL.
Have you watched him play? He covers well, covers his gaps against the run, bends the edge effectively, has some capability on stunts and twists, and doesn't quit on plays. There's not a thing you could ask of a 3-4 OLB that he isn't capable of doing. If anything, his versatility and ability to stay on the field for 3 downs is a selling point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
sherck (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:19 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Have you watched him play? He covers well, covers his gaps against the run, bends the edge effectively, has some capability on stunts and twists, and doesn't quit on plays. There's not a thing you could ask of a 3-4 OLB that he isn't capable of doing. If anything, his versatility and ability to stay on the field for 3 downs is a selling point.
The extent of it for me is the video on Draft Breakdown. Specifically for an edge defender I'm not convinced his game will translate to the NFL. And with his coverage skills I'm not sure having him rush the passer most downs would be his best fit anyway. ILB?
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Something else with Reddick is that he's currently 237. That's crazy light for a 3-4 OLB. So his eye-popping numbers aren't as impressive compared to players who are 260.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:40 PM

After watching his tape I'd like to change my vote to Jordan Willis.