ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-28-2020, 02:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,598 Times in 2,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I agree, if they chase a vet FA QB then drafting a developmental QB would seem natural.
Covers both bases and makes sense. Puts some emphasis on the present since they have a competent team that can win now. Also invests in the future beyond a couple years so they don’t have to go back into rebuilding mode in 2-3 years. Or at least end up in the spot they are now.

Of course they could see that veteran presence already there in JB.

Go after Rivers, go after Clooney. (Rivers had one of the best seasons he ever had under Reich and Sirianni)

Draft BPA in first or Love. Get some WRs and interior pass rush in draft, perhaps developmental QB. Maybe a backup lineman or two. Then go after next season as a contender.

Tom Brady could end up with the Titans. Going to be an exciting off-season.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 02-28-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:44 PM

I’m not really sure what a “developmental” QB is. To me there are guys that are ready to start right away and guys that you want to give a year max before they start. When I hear that term though I think of drafting a guy in round 3 or later and working with him for 2 or 3 years before he starts. But I can’t think of anyone that has been done with and worked on.. Am I misunderstanding what is being suggested? Or am I missing anyone that’s this has worked with?

Last edited by rm1369; 02-28-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:05 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I’m not really sure what a “developmental” QB is. To me there are guys that are ready to start right away and guys that you want to give a year max before they start. When I hear that term though I think of drafting a guy in round 3 or later and working with him for 2 or 3 years before he starts. But I can’t think of anyone that has been done with and worked on.. Am I misunderstanding what is being suggested? Or am I missing anyone that’s this has worked with?
I think you are right that if a guy isn't ready in a year or so max then he probably isn't going to work out anyway, but the term developmental in itself can still apply to a guy who needs a year to learn or transition over to the nfl game. They still need to develop a bit. Now a long term developmental guy or project player? Like you said, probably not worth bothering with.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:08 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
My thoughts on the past couple of day's topics:

1. Drat about Chris Jones getting franchised. He was my #1 free agent target now that AC is coming back. I don't know if there is anyone else that I would back the money truck up for, honestly, other than Dak Prescott.

2. I don't want to spend money on any of the FA QBs that will be available. Dak is the only one that I would pony up the money for and he will not make it to free agency.

3. That said, if Derek Carr would only cost us our lower 2nd round pick, I would trade for him. He is young enough to be our QB at a high level for a decade, is an accomplished NFL QB with good instincts, touch and leadership and I think he would fit a Reich offensive system like a glove. Gruden is an idiot if they spend capital to go chase a different QB rather than build around Carr. And he is less than a $20m cap hit for each of the next 3 seasons.

4. Of Herbert, Love, Eason and Fromm, I think I like Eason the best but I don't like using the #13 pick on him. I think at #13, we can get a high potential WR1, LOT1, disruptive 3-tech or talented DE and I don't know that I love any of the QBs as much as I like a lot of the guys who could fall to us. I would MUCH better roll with JB another year, draft a developmental kid in the 2nd or 3rd round and see where we are at in a year than draft one of the QBs with the #13.

5. I am concerned about O-Line depth more than the depth of any other position group right now. I think Haeg will get low end starter money in free agency, Clark is not better than average and we then have no one behind our fav five. I would want an OT draft pick early (1st or 2nd round) and a draft pick later for interior line depth.

6. Also worried about TE depth. Jack as the starter and Mo-Allie Cox as a guy is fine but there is no one behind them. Need a body or two there to round out that critically important position in Reich's offense.

7. WR is tricky for me. On paper, I like Hilton, Pascal and Campbell as our starting three. However, we have limited depth behind them (Fountain and Johnson) and they can be improved on. Adding draftees in this "deep WR" draft is a good idea.

8. So, conceptually, I want our FA money going to NT, DE, 3-tech (if any were to hit FA), Safety depth and CB depth while our draft class going all offense if possible (OT/WR/QB early, OG/WR/TE later).

9. So, my family dumped all of our Luck jersey's last year at Goodwill. Whom would you buy a jersey of going forward?

I am definitely up for Carr, but I think they are going to go with Rivers instead.

I don't like the starting WR guys as much though. Hilton is old and is getting hurt every year. Campbell is still an unknown as a starter. We need a talent infusion there. If they get Rivers, I can see them getting a WR with the 1st or 2nd round pick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Colt Classic (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
I am definitely up for Carr, but I think they are going to go with Rivers instead.

I don't like the starting WR guys as much though. Hilton is old and is getting hurt every year. Campbell is still an unknown as a starter. We need a talent infusion there. If they get Rivers, I can see them getting a WR with the 1st or 2nd round pick.
If they end up with Rivers or Carr, and Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs are there it would be hard to pass on them. Except maybe Kinlaw, who I think will be gone by the 1.13
Maniac (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
If they end up with Rivers or Carr, and Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs are there it would be hard to pass on them. Except maybe Kinlaw, who I think will be gone by the 1.13
WR is so deep this year I’d rather take QB, DT, or OT at 13. There are going to be some really good WR prospects still there at 34. Drop off at those other positions is steeper.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post

Exactly--a few injuries like what happened to them at receiver this past season and we're right back to having no one who can stretch the field.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,598 Times in 2,015 Posts

Rumor on NFL radio that we are vetting Philip Rivers. Looking more and more like Rivers.

Also Eric Berry Rumor?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...colts-interest

Last edited by Chromeburn; 02-28-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:44 PM

Hahaha!
Old 02-29-2020, 12:13 AM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Rumor on NFL radio that we are vetting Philip Rivers. Looking more and more like Rivers.

Also Eric Berry Rumor?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...colts-interest
Two over the hill guys.Sounds like Grigson desperation