ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

o

(vs. TITANS, 11/18)

The Colts' defense looked more like the one that had really good, pretty good, or (at worst) average games in the first 7 games of the season than the way in which they looked in their last 2 games (against the Raiders and the Jaguars.)

They gave away 3 points just prior to the end of the 1st half, which gift-wrapped the Titans 3 points (instead of a 57-yard field goal attempt, their kicker instead only had to try a 42-yarder.)

They sacked Mariota 4 times in the first half, and intercepted him once. He (Mariota) was forced to leave the game at halftime because of a hand injury.

10 TITANS POSSESSIONS

6 Punts

2 INT's

1 TD

1 FG

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Pez (11-18-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:54 PM
Historian

o

(vs. DOLPHINS, 11/25)

I thought that the defense looked crappy on 3 of the Dolphins' 7 possessions in the 1st half (the first 2 drives of which resulted in a TD and a Punt, and the next-to-the last one in which they got burned for a long TD pass.)

I thought that they got lucky when the Dolphins' running back stumbled on 3rd and 10 on their 2nd possession of the game which resulted in a punt, instead of a 1st down and (at least) a field goal attempt for the Dolphins had he kept his balance ........ but they used that luck for continuity, forcing 4 consecutive punts before getting burned late in the half for a TD bomb.

They also bailed out the offense after Luck threw an INT immediately after that Dolphins TD bomb by forcing a fumble of their own to get the ball back, and prevented the Dolphins from adding to their 14 point total before the end of the 1st half.

The offense and the special teams put the defense in bad situations 3 times today ........ 2 with turnovers by the offense, and 1 by getting a punt blocked. In those 3 situations, the defense yielded a grand total of 3 points, as they forced the Dolphins to punt, forced a fumble, and held them to a field goal, respectively.

The defense also made the comeback victory possible by getting back-to-back 3 and-outs while the Colts were digging themselves out of a 10-point hole in which they put themselves in.

11 DOLPHINS POSSESSIONS

6 Punts

1 Turnover (Fumble Recovery)

3 TD's

1 FG

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Indystu2 (11-26-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Historian

o

(vs. JAGUARS, 12/02)

Excellent game overall for the defense.

5 of the 7 punts that they forced were 3 and-outs, plus the fumble recovery to open the game was on 3 plays or less.

Unfortunately, the offense had a horrible game.

10 JAGUARS POSSESSIONS

7 Punts

1 Turnover (Fumble Recovery)

2 FG's

o

Old 12-03-2018, 11:35 AM

Yep, good overall game for the defense, though I'll temper that with the fact that we were playing against a subpar QB and offense.

Incidentally, while our season sack totals have been fairly pedestrian (I think we're 18th in the league), I've noticed that we accumulate a lot of tackles for a loss - almost always more than our opponent. In fact, we have 5 of the top 29 players in this stat according to this website:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...ckles-for-loss

I couldn't find a team stat for this during my brief search, but I'm guessing were near the top of the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 01:14 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

I only have one thing to say about celebrating the defense in that awful game: blech!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

I only have one thing to say about celebrating the defense in that awful game: blech!

o

I don't think that Chaka or myself were celebrating, although it may have appeared that way in my post since I only complimented them (the defense) without giving them any criticism ...... although to be frank, there really wasn't much to criticize about their play.

I agree that it's at least somewhat nauseating to appear to celebrate anything after such a frustrating loss, but I believe that we were simply reporting what happened on the defensive side of the ball in an otherwise disastrous loss.

o

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-04-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Racehorse (12-03-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

I don't think that Chaka or myself were celebrating, although it may have appeared that way in my post since I only complimented them (the defense) without giving them any criticism ...... although to be frank, there really wasn't much to criticize their play.

I agree that it's at least somewhat nauseating to appear to celebrate anything after such a frustrating loss, but I believe that we were simply reporting what happened on the defensive side of the ball in an otherwise disastrous loss.

o
Yes,” celebrating” wouldn’t be the right word – probably more like “salvaging” something out of this game. JAX had only 150 yards passing and 79 yards rushing, so our defense largely did their part.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Yes,” celebrating” wouldn’t be the right word – probably more like “salvaging” something out of this game. JAX had only 150 yards passing and 79 yards rushing, so our defense largely did their part.
I think the defense 100% did their part. They forced two fumbles, recovered one and held them to two field goals.

Our offense didn't score, therefore Jacksonville didn't have to take any risks. The Jags had a full 10 minute TOP advantage and they didnt seem gassed, still forced the 3 and out at the end after the 4th down sack.

I have no issues celebrating our defense. They deserve it, Reich and Luck Let them down.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following User Says Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 AM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post

I think the defense 100% did their part. They forced two fumbles, recovered one, and held them to two field goals.

Our offense didn't score, therefore Jacksonville didn't have to take any risks. The Jags had a full 10 minute TOP advantage and they didn't seem gassed, still forced the 3 and out at the end after the 4th down sack.

I have no issues celebrating our defense. They deserve it, Reich and Luck Let them down.

o

The only thing that the defense DIDN'T DO in this game was do what Robert Mathis did 10 years earlier against the Browns ........ return a fumble for a touchdown in the 4th quarter, which turned a 6-3 deficit into a 10-6 win on a day in which the otherwise explosive Peyton Manning-led offense was almost completely bankrupt.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/...008-13-ind-cle

o

Old 12-04-2018, 10:21 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

The only thing that the defense DIDN'T DO in this game was do what Robert Mathis did 10 years earlier against the Browns ........ return a fumble for a touchdown in the 4th quarter, which turned a 6-3 deficit into a 10-6 win on a day in which the otherwise explosive Peyton Manning-led offense was almost completely bankrupt.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/...008-13-ind-cle

o
So, you're telling me that even Manning had games where he struggled? Huh! The way people are talking today, Luck is garbage for not scoring.

Not people here, mind you, but you should see some stuff I have read.