ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-22-2023, 12:05 PM

Default Quarterback prospect accuracy

I think it was Bill Polian who once said that, when you scout a Quarterback, the accuracy you see today is the same accuracy you’re gonna see in five years. That’s why a lot of people are skittish about drafting the Richardson kid from Florida.

I mean, I get that. But…. How do you factor in the ability of the people he was throwing to? How do you factor in the play of the Offensive Line. Prospects like Stroud or Bryce Young were given all the time in the world to set up and find their targets. They were throwing to the likes of Marvin Harrison Jr and Jayson Smith-Njigba. Richardson’s best receiver was Justin Shorter, the 300th ranked prospect in this year’s draft.

To give you an idea of the quality of Ohio State’s Receivers, NJigba was this year’s 10th ranked prospect. Next year’s draft early projection have 2 of Stroud’s receivers…Harrison and Emeka Egbuka…hearing their names called within the first hour of the draft.

This isn’t simply about Richardson. It’s a problem endemic to scouting Quarterbacks with untalented or young receivers. Those guys have small catch radius’s they drop catchable balls, they run the wrong routes. When the difference between completing 60 percent of your passes and 50 percent is 3 or 4 extra catches a game, every drop counts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (04-23-2023), Colts And Orioles (04-22-2023), Racehorse (04-23-2023), YDFL Commish (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 01:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,641 Times in 950 Posts

The QB still has to throw the ball to the right spot. Try hitting a moving target with a football. It's not easy.

Give me the most accurate QB 10 out of 10 times and I will end up with the best QB more often than not.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:05 PM
Post whore

And to be clear, when I say most accurate QB, I mean the QB with the best ball placement on NFL caliber throws, not the one with the highest completion percentage.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:06 PM

That's why you have to watch the tape. You can't go on stats, stats are generally BS, especially in college, where most throws are less than 10 yards down field.

A catch on a throw goes for 10 yards, was caught by the receiver, but he had to slow down to make the catch on his back shoulder, had the throw been in front of the receiver and caught in stride, could have gone for 20 yards or more. This is what accuracy should be based on, not having to have elite receivers to make circus catches. Have you put the ball in the right spot for the receivers you have on your team. The ability of your team mates, their speed etc are things that the QB needs to adjust to and be on the same page, this comes through practice and is what truly separates the elite QB's.

I don't know whether Anthony Richardson's completion percentage is lower, but is based on an overall deeper throw than Levis' who could be all short passes, i haven't watched their tape to be able to evaluate that properly. This is what scouts are paid to do.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:10 PM

Making the correct reads is actually the biggest asset of a QB for me, with accuracy a very close second. If you can't read a defence, you can throw the ball exactly where you wanted it to go in regards to where your receiver is going to be located, but if a defender is now in front of your receiver, that is utterly pointless.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 01:21 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Yes, college stats are pretty fucked. Accuracy is the premier physical trait for a QB, no question. Aaron Rodgers might not rank as high in intangibles, but because he's the most accurate passer ever, he'll go down as a top-5 QB all-time.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:53 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Explain Jalen hurts then Bill….

The game has long changed since he was a GM, your QB is basically a RB now
Old 04-22-2023, 07:12 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Explain Jalen hurts then Bill….

The game has long changed since he was a GM, your QB is basically a RB now
The two best QBs in the NFL would beg to differ. Neither Patrick Mahomes nor Joe Burrow is "basically a RB".
Old 04-22-2023, 09:51 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Mahomes had 44 yards rushing in the Super Bowl, Hurts was the leading rusher in the game, Burrow was the leading rusher in the AFC championship game.

The game has changed, QB has to run or atleast threaten the run 5 to 10 times a game
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
bigalbert (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 09:49 AM

Thanked 4,291 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Mahomes had 44 yards rushing in the Super Bowl, Hurts was the leading rusher in the game, Burrow was the leading rusher in the AFC championship game.

The game has changed, QB has to run or atleast threaten the run 5 to 10 times a game
a qb doesn't have to run to be successful. that said, it has always been the case that a qb that could get a couple first downs a game with his feet were always valuable.

just because there seems to be more athletic qb's coming out of college doesn't equate to "qb's are rb's now"

nobody wants their qb's taking a lot of hits
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-24-2023)