ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-29-2023, 10:04 AM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1652131321702150144

Quote:
This feels like a Steichen pick -- he wanted a little variation (in body-type) in the WR room. Under Ballard, Colts have consistently gone with 6-0 or taller. This is a nice change-up.
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1652134416867524609

Quote:
North Carolina coach Mack Brown on receiver Josh Downs: "Josh is one of the hardest workers I've ever coached ... He constantly works at his craft and takes every opportunity to be the best player he can be. One thing I appreciate about Josh is that he’s never satisfied..."
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1652137986295775233

Quote:
New Colts WR Josh Downs: "I was talking to Reggie Wayne a few weeks ago. He told me he needed me."

After his workout at the combine, Wayne told Downs he was the best receiver in this class — and it wasn't close.

Safe to say Coach Wayne is a happy man tonight.
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...38022219939841

Quote:
Josh Downs says this is the situation he wanted to be in, to be with a young QB where they could grow and build together.
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...47817190768647

Quote:
Ballard says the Colts didn't expect Downs to be there at 79, says the Colts tried to trade up for about 30 minutes to get him, but couldn't find a deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 10:09 AM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts

The Ringer had ranked Downs as #42 on their Big Board (for comparison, the website Tankathon had him ranked at #49).

Below is the Ringer's scouting write-up.

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/

Quote:

UNDERSIZED BUT SUPER-PRODUCTIVE PASS-CATCHING DYNAMO who plays big and brings twitchy change of direction skills.

Comp: ELIJAH MOORE

SCOUTING REPORT BY DANNY KELLY
Downs has a short, slightly-built frame but brings natural playmaking talent and a ball-winner’s mentality. An excellent all-around athlete who also starred in high school track, finishing third in the state triple jump and fourth in the long jump, he was a former four-star prospect out of Suwanee, Georgia. After seeing limited action as a freshman, Downs broke onto the scene to earn AP Second Team All American honors for the Tar Heels in 2021, catching 101 passes for 1,335 yards and eight touchdowns in 13 games. He put together a strong encore in 2022 while finishing as a Biletnikoff Award Semi-Finalist, reeling in 94 catches for 1,029 yards and 11 touchdowns in 11 games.

Downs is extremely quick and shifty as a route runner, showing the ability to separate from defenders almost instantly. His suddenness helps him to discard coverage and open up for his quarterback early in his route. He’s dangerous on a whip-route and likes to vary route tempo to lull defenders to sleep. He attacks opponents’ leverage and uses head fakes and stutter steps to get them turning in circles. He shows a good feel for spacing and knows how to settle into the open zone. He’s effective on screen passes and is a surprisingly tough runner with a nose for the end zone. He’s a chains-mover who finished top 10 in the country in total first-down receptions (54). And despite his diminutive size, he’s surprisingly competitive at the catch point. He will go up and pluck the ball at the highest point and he is fearless in traffic. He caught 13 of 18 contested catch targets in 2022, per PFF. He primarily aligns in the slot (83 percent of the time) but also sees snaps on the outside. He brings special teams value and averaged 11.1 yards per return on 26 punt returns over the last two years.

Downs’s small frame could be an issue for some teams. He flashes deep-shot potential (and he did turn 18 deep targets this year into five touchdowns, per PFF) but he was mainly a low aDOT (8.8 yards) target in the Tar Heels offense, seeing his yards/reception drop in 2022 (from 13.2 to 10.9). He may be viewed as a slot only at the next level. He won’t offer much as a blocker; he’s got the size disadvantage and his effort isn’t always there. He missed two games after suffering a knee injury against Florida A&M.

WHY HE COULD RISE
Downs is a highly productive and tough pass-catcher who can separate as a route runner and win at the catch point; he adds special teams value.

WHY HE COULD FALL
He’s short with a small frame; he may be viewed as a slot only.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 04-29-2023 at 03:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 10:20 AM

Thanked 4,293 Times in 1,758 Posts

seems like this pick was a hit with the pundits
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (04-29-2023), Racehorse (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 10:33 AM

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
The Ringer had ranked Downs as #42 on their Big Board. Below is their scouting write-up.

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/
This is the kind of find that other teams always seem to get instead of the Colts, I think Steichen had something to do with this pick!
IndyNorm (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 10:42 AM

Thanked 1,330 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
This is the kind of find that other teams always seem to get instead of the Colts, I think Steichen had something to do with this pick!
Agreed. Previously under Ballard Downs would have been off his board due to his size. Gotta think Steichen has a lot to do w/ Downs being drafted, and it's refreshing to see us not eliminate what appears to be a really good player b/c of his size.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:42 AM

And this one I like a lot.

Highest potential hit percentage pick of our draft yet, IMO.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:55 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

Glad that someone could talk some sense into Ballard. Physical traits are important, but they aren't the end all and be all of football.