ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts
Default Colts.com article on Reece Fountain

Located here.

Highlights:

Sirianni pointing out that the competition level jump from the University of Northern Iowa to the NFL is pretty big:
Quote:
So when will Fountain get possibly get his chance on the Colts’ 53-man roster? That’s yet to be seen, but offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni said the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Fountain “is showing us that he can do some things — it’s just a process.”

“I think it just takes time,” Sirianni said. “It’s a different, different game. And obviously going from the FCS level to the – I know football is still football, but there is still a jump whether it’s Division I MAC school, Division I ACC school or FCS. There’s still a big jump that these guys have to make. I just think it’s a process of continuing to get reps, of Reece continuing to get reps, and feeling more and more comfortable because he is catching our eye.”
Reece on his attitude:
Quote:
“I'm patiently waiting and when they are ready I will be called up,” Fountain recently told 1070 The Fan’s Joe Staysniak. “Whatever is for the best of the team I am going to put my effort behind. We need wins, so if they feel like I am the best person for that I am ready, and if not I am going to keep giving the defense the best look I can.”

“Making everything harder on yourself is key,” Fountain said. “When everyone else has left practice, Steve Ishmael and I make sure that we are getting those extra reps in to prepare ourselves. We practice those traffic catches because there is nothing really like what you are going to see in an actual game. We want to make sure when we get to the games we have already put ourselves through the hardest situations that we might get so it can be easier once we get into the game.”
The obvious contridiction is that if Fountain were indeed "catching the coaches eye," then why is he not on the 53 man roster because we desperatly need help at WR?

Current WR on the roster:

T.Y. Hilton / 7th year
Chester Rogers / 3rd year
Ryan Grant / 5th year
Zach Pascal / 2nd year
Dontrelle Inman / 5th year

Steve Ishmael (Practice Squad) / Rookie
Reece Foutain (Practice Squad) / Rookie
Krishawn Hogan (Practice Squad) / 2nd year

It would be nice to think that they will promote him during the bye and we can see if he could catch on in the second half of the season. We need a boost at WR and he has the physical skills to be a boost.

Walk Worthy,
Old 10-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

whats the typical timeframe for WR productivity falloff? as in our only good WR is already in his 7th season...
Old 10-24-2018, 12:21 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

There are typically two reasons a young receiver might not be getting playing time:

1) He can't run a full route tree, so he's too limited in his role in the offense.
2) He hasn't mastered option routes where he needs to read the coverage and make an adjustment.

Reading between the lines of what Siriani is saying, I think it could be one or both of these.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
whats the typical timeframe for WR productivity falloff? as in our only good WR is already in his 7th season...
Small, fast WRs generally drop off pretty quickly in their early 30's, but there are obviously exceptions. Every player is different.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Small, fast WRs generally drop off pretty quickly in their early 30's, but there are obviously exceptions. Every player is different.
The "Age 30" wall for WRs is pretty solid. Not a ton of them play at elite levels when older than 30.

Obviously, lots of exceptions (Rice, Harrison, Fitzgerald, Wayne to name a few) but many, many receivers decline at the 30 age mark.

Hopefully, T. Y. is an exception.

Walk Worthy,
Old 10-24-2018, 02:25 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

It would be nice to think that they will promote him during the bye and we can see if he could catch on in the second half of the season. We need a boost at WR and he has the physical skills to be a boost.

Walk Worthy,[/QUOTE]

This is my hope also. You would think we would need to know what we have in him before the season ends. Lets hope
Old 10-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
The "Age 30" wall for WRs is pretty solid. Not a ton of them play at elite levels when older than 30.

Obviously, lots of exceptions (Rice, Harrison, Fitzgerald, Wayne to name a few) but many, many receivers decline at the 30 age mark.

Hopefully, T. Y. is an exception.

Walk Worthy,
Like Marvin?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
There are typically two reasons a young receiver might not be getting playing time:

1) He can't run a full route tree, so he's too limited in his role in the offense.
2) He hasn't mastered option routes where he needs to read the coverage and make an adjustment.

Reading between the lines of what Siriani is saying, I think it could be one or both of these.
You mean like Pascal?

I wonder if Fountain can actually catch - you know, being a receiver and all...lol
Old 10-24-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

If he's not ready with knowing his routes and assignments, then don't bring him up yet, and it sounds like from the quote that he's not ready.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:

WR 4 and WR 5 usually have to contribute on special teams as well. That can't be overlooked.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (10-25-2018)