ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2018, 10:44 PM

Default Colts v Raiders

Damn.....this team is imploding. Do you think there's any chance our guys underestimate them on Sunday? I think last year that would likely happen as we routinely played down to inferior teams but I don't think this team overlooks anyone. I'd feel more confident though if we had taken care of the Jests.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-raid...153638752.html
Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 PM

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,204 Posts

Like you said, i past years this would've been a trap game. Reich won't let that happen.

Also, the Jets are just a better coached team than the Raiders. They took advantage of numerous Colts mistakes.

I think/hope that this team has learned, that if you don't beat yourself, that they can win any game.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (10-23-2018), Racehorse (10-24-2018), sherck (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 04:56 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Can a 2-5 team have a trap game?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (10-24-2018), Colts And Orioles (10-24-2018), Dewey 5 (10-24-2018), Indiana V2 (10-24-2018), JAFF (10-24-2018), Oldcolt (10-24-2018), Pez (10-24-2018), Racehorse (10-24-2018), sherck (10-24-2018), VeveJones007 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 07:07 AM

Thanked 4,388 Times in 2,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Can a 2-5 team have a trap game?
No, but that doesn't change his main idea that any team can overlook a garbage team. They can fall into the trap that says they don't need to come to play in order to win. That is how Buffalo beat Minnesota.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,268 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post

Damn ......... this team is imploding. Do you think there's any chance our guys underestimate them on Sunday?

I think last year that would likely happen, as we routinely played down to inferior teams, but I don't think that this team overlooks anyone. I'd feel more confident though if we had taken care of the Jests.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-raid...153638752.html

o

Not a chance.

First of all, Frank Reich would not let that happen.

Secondly, I doubt very much that a 2-5 team would take ANY game for granted, particularly when they play in such a mediocre division in which the possibility of said 2-5 team putting together a winning streak could vault them into contention for the division title. Every game is like GOLD to the Colts right now.

The Colts could lose the game, but only if they play very shittily.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 10-24-2018, 08:28 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Looking through the sales bin that is the Oakland Raiders since Gruden appears to be ready to trade everyone on the team not named Marshawn Lynch, about the only players that I might be in "buy" mode for in a trade are:

WR Martavis Bryant (5th round pick in trade or UFA at end of season)

OG Gabe Jackson (4th round pick in trade; current contract is for next 4 1/2 years)

I was interested in seeing if there were defensive players whom I would be interested in but....there are not.

Walk Worthy,
Old 10-24-2018, 08:40 AM
Accidental Administrator

Best point, can a 2-5 team have a trap game, well, no.

But as we realistically have such a small chance of getting into the playoff or even making a run for this division, what I would expect to see is solid execution again. This would imply that that the coaching regime as well as team leaders are instilling a sense of discipline that stresses consistency and the ability to adapt.

Oakland is last in the league in forcing sacks on defense with 7. We are 10th best in the number of sacks we have allowed on offense with 10. That said, we should see 0-2 sacks, hopefully 0.

We are 4th best in forcing sacks on defense with 21 (who knew this would be the case week 1?). The Raiders have given up 17 sacks on the year. Disciplined and consistent football here would be that we get 3-4

The raiders give up 4.7 yards per carry on defense. We should have a good day running the ball.

The Bills are a bad team, any good team should beat them easily, we did. The Raiders are a bad team, any good team should beat them easily. If we can go into the bye at 3-5 and haviong beaten both the bills and the raiders in the way that a good team should, we will gain considerable confidence.

Id like us to take such confidence into the bye week and then start a three game stretch at home with potentially some players returning from injury (thats you, Jack Doyle).

While this likely isn't near enough to get us into anything resembling contention for the division, it is a cause for optimism as it suggests that the coaches, staff and leadership players' efforts to instill a winning culture of discipline and accountability is working.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (10-24-2018), Racehorse (10-24-2018), sherck (10-24-2018), southside asshole (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Best point, can a 2-5 team have a trap game, well, no.

But as we realistically have such a small chance of getting into the playoff or even making a run for this division, what I would expect to see is solid execution again. This would imply that that the coaching regime as well as team leaders are instilling a sense of discipline that stresses consistency and the ability to adapt.

Oakland is last in the league in forcing sacks on defense with 7. We are 10th best in the number of sacks we have allowed on offense with 10. That said, we should see 0-2 sacks, hopefully 0.

We are 4th best in forcing sacks on defense with 21 (who knew this would be the case week 1?). The Raiders have given up 17 sacks on the year. Disciplined and consistent football here would be that we get 3-4

The raiders give up 4.7 yards per carry on defense. We should have a good day running the ball.

The Bills are a bad team, any good team should beat them easily, we did. The Raiders are a bad team, any good team should beat them easily. If we can go into the bye at 3-5 and haviong beaten both the bills and the raiders in the way that a good team should, we will gain considerable confidence.

Id like us to take such confidence into the bye week and then start a three game stretch at home with potentially some players returning from injury (thats you, Jack Doyle).

While this likely isn't near enough to get us into anything resembling contention for the division, it is a cause for optimism as it suggests that the coaches, staff and leadership players' efforts to instill a winning culture of discipline and accountability is working.
I don't think its likely, but I wouldn't put it as a "small chance" at making a run at the division.

Depends on what you mean by small. I'd put it at 25%.

If the Colts get to 3-5 before the bye, they are still at most two games back with 5 division games left in their last 8.

The schedule is much easier the second half. It includes a Giants team that sucks, some mediocre teams in Miami and Dallas and then division games where none of the teams are great.

The Jags are imploding. Should have tied at least the Texans the first game and will be healthier, hopefully, in the second game. The Titans are on a three game losing streak that includes a loss to Buffalo. Its not like any division team is unbeatable by the Colts. 9 wins will likely win the division and 8 might do it with tiebreakers.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

The Bills and Raiders games were the only two on the schedule that I've felt really confident about the Colts winning easily. If Mariotta is out, you can probably add Tennessee to that column.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:22 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
I don't think its likely, but I wouldn't put it as a "small chance" at making a run at the division.

Depends on what you mean by small. I'd put it at 25%.

If the Colts get to 3-5 before the bye, they are still at most two games back with 5 division games left in their last 8.

The schedule is much easier the second half. It includes a Giants team that sucks, some mediocre teams in Miami and Dallas and then division games where none of the teams are great.

The Jags are imploding. Should have tied at least the Texans the first game and will be healthier, hopefully, in the second game. The Titans are on a three game losing streak that includes a loss to Buffalo. Its not like any division team is unbeatable by the Colts. 9 wins will likely win the division and 8 might do it with tiebreakers.
Yeah, the schedule is much easier, but you're still hoping for 8-2 or 7-3 down the stretch. That's just not going to happen.