ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Nice props from MMQB article:
Quote:
2. The Colts may be 2-5, but their rookie class is showing off-the-charts promise. Second-round linebacker Darius Leonard had 17 tackles in the win over the Bills on Sunday and might be on his way to Defensive Rookie of the Year. Second-round defensive end Kemoko Turay had two quarterback hits and a sack. Running backs Nyheim Hines (fourth round) and Jordan Wilkins (fifth) combined for 93 yards on 11 carries. And first-round guard Quenton Nelson and second-round tackle Braden Smith were part of a line that now starts four former Top 40 picks, and paved the way for 220 yards rushing. And Indy has high hopes for injured second-round 3-technique Tyquan Lewis and sixth-round receiver Deon Cain. For GM Chris Ballard, this has the early look of a group that could accelerate the rebuild big-time.
Our rookie class is killing it!

IF Cain were heathly, he would have a legitimate shot at WR2 and fulll-time play time.

And IF Lewis were healthy, I have little doubt he would be given the opportunity to rotate in.

Both Franklin and Adams are playing a lot of ST snaps and filling in solid depth at LB; just what you want out of your 7th round draft picks.

Fourtain is the only let down so far as he has been unable to stay on the 53 even in the face of our weak WR corps. Perhaps he just needs another year of maturity but...

If Ballard would have had this scouting staff instead of Grigson's in 2017....

The future is so bright, Colts fans, we gotta triple up!

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (10-22-2018), Spike (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:13 AM

As delighted as i am with the performance from the rookies, with a 6th overall and four 2nd round picks, you should be shot if there wasn't at least 3 guys contributing significant playing time.

Saying that....Nelson has been very impressive, Leonard has to be the front runner for defensive rookie of the year honours and then Smith has played very well the last 3 games at RT. Add in the large contributions from Hines and Wilkins and Turay plus the smaller body of work from Franklin and Adams, and this class is looking very promising indeed. When you consider that we still have Lewis and Cain to even see the field, this could go down as one of the greatest ever Colts drafts. 11 picks, 8 contributing from the outset, 2 injured and 1 on the practice squad.

It will get harder to hit those heights in the future once the Colts level of roster talent is brought up. There were so many open roster spots at the start of this year...someone had to fill them, thankfully, so far the rookies have manned them very successfully, long may that continue.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

IF Cain were heathly, he would have a legitimate shot at WR2 and fulll-time play time.

And IF Lewis were healthy, I have little doubt he would be given the opportunity to rotate in.

Both Franklin and Adams are playing a lot of ST snaps and filling in solid depth at LB; just what you want out of your 7th round draft picks.

Fourtain is the only let down so far as he has been unable to stay on the 53 even in the face of our weak WR corps. Perhaps he just needs another year of maturity but...

Walk Worthy,
I love the signature
Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 AM

This game was really the top end of what to expect from the Colts if they play relatively mistake free and are relatively healthy. Still not fully healthy, I think TY is not 100% and seemed to be used more as a decoy today and Doyle being back would be a big plus.

Now it was a bad team for an opponent with a octogenarian back up QB starting who hadn't played in who knows how long, but they still looked good

And that is supposed to be a good Buffalo D, yet the offense still looked great.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
We’re 2 games behind for the division lead and have scored the most points of any team in the South. Wow our division is dogshit.
Yes the fact the colts are still in the division race at 2-5 says more about the poor state of the division than the talent of the team.

And while I still am not horribly upset over the Texans loss that should have been a tie, that win for them, more than hurting the Colts, really seems to have provided them a boost for the season after starting 0-3, have won 4 in a row.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
........and married his high school sweetheart instead of a super model

Gotta add that in this alternative universe since dick heads like Collingsworthless always tack that onto Brady's list of "accomplishments" when they are slobbering all over him.
Did anyone notice that when they got pressure on him he folded like a cheap suitcase. Of course Mack has a gimpy ankle as soon as they play them. Guy has had protection all his career. I would love to see him switch places with Luck the last couple years. Most overrated and lucky QB ever.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

Walk Worthy,
You just don’t hit on that many picks. Statistically it’s near impossible. I think the average is 40%. Pretty impressive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
sherck (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:09 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Thank you for the analysis, it is appreciated. Quick question about this point: who do you think are the best 5? Good instead of Smith? And do you have any thoughts on Glowinski's performance thus far?
I think smith at guard and either Good or Clark at rt would be the best 5. Glowinski appears to be playing good enough.

I plan on watching the last 2 games on gamepass and watch these guys again. I have been impressed with how they have played with one watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Chaka (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I think smith at guard and either Good or Clark at rt would be the best 5. Glowinski appears to be playing good enough.

I plan on watching the last 2 games on gamepass and watch these guys again. I have been impressed with how they have played with one watch.

Speaking of Good and Glowinski......I was looking up some bio info on Glowinski since I seem to have missed when Ballard signed him and I learned that in the off season he restructured both Good and Glowinski's contracts so we have both of them for the price of one......they both have the opportunity if they hit certain performance milestones to re-earn back the pay cuts they took. I don't remember seeing anything on this back in January but I like the approach....pay for performance. Maybe next season he was do the same with the receivers and get some of those drops dealt with.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:43 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
Speaking of Good and Glowinski......I was looking up some bio info on Glowinski since I seem to have missed when Ballard signed him and I learned that in the off season he restructured both Good and Glowinski's contracts so we have both of them for the price of one......they both have the opportunity if they hit certain performance milestones to re-earn back the pay cuts they took. I don't remember seeing anything on this back in January but I like the approach....pay for performance. Maybe next season he was do the same with the receivers and get some of those drops dealt with.
I actually don’t like that in that scenario. They were making peanuts. We have all the cap space. No need to nickel and dime the back end like that. Unless I missed something about that scenario