ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-08-2023, 08:59 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Not crazy about trading up. Most of the time you lose out. To state the obvious we need to come out of this draft with a starting QB. I am not saying we have to draft one, but you just cannot have a repeat of this crap. We are in a shitty situation with people at the controls that I can only pray get lucky. I have zero faith that they do it with talent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:00 PM

Thanked 1,568 Times in 891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd comp Young to Russell Wilson and Stroud to Aaron Rodgers. Between that and the height is why I want Stroud.
You are out of your blooming mind.

Both these guys are more likely to bust than hit.

Not comping them, but it's like the 2018 draft. Baker, Darnold, Allen, Josh Rosen. Four of the top ten picks. Three lemons, one diamond. You want to be the guy who trades up for Stroud or Young, only to have Levis turn out to be Josh Allen, and not Ryan Leaf (not saying he is Allen-like, only that more top of the draft QB's bust than hit.)

I mean Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, Jarod Goff and Wentz, Mitch Trubisky, Mayfield and Darnold, Kyler Murray (maybe the best of this list, but still not really showing he's a franchise guy). 2020 was an exception with Joe Burrow, Tua, and Herbert all living up to/exceeding their pre-draft hype.

And to comp those two to Wilson (unless you mean this year's Wilson), and Aaron Freaking Rodgers, is insane.

And anyone who thinks it is a good idea to trade up to get one should be fired from their GM position immediately.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd comp Young to Russell Wilson and Stroud to Aaron Rodgers. Between that and the height is why I want Stroud.
Stop comparing Stroud to Rogers, they don't correlate. When the pocket collapses Rogers doesn't shit the bed. When pressure is in his face Rogers completes more than 40% of his passes. Stroud only completes 40% of his passes under pressure. Just a hint, but in the NFL you are under constant pressure and the pocket doesn't hold up indefinitely.

Stroud is not a plug and play franchise QB. Just stop it, its asinine.
Dewey 5 (01-08-2023), HoosierinFL (01-09-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:05 PM

So we're #4.

Bears - Will Anderson
Texans - Young or Stroud
Cardinals - Myles Murphy or Jalen Carter ??
Colts - Young or Stroud

I'm still not sold on either Stroud or Young being "can't miss" type of QB prospects, but they're both better and provide more promise than anything else we've had in quite some time. I think I'd prefer Stroud over Young, but with it feeling like both have more bust than boom potential, I'm not sure it really matters.

Will be interesting since it appears both will be drafted to the same division which will create even more intrigue with all of this for the next several years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaynesWorld87 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-10-2023), Racehorse (01-09-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:24 PM

Thanked 1,899 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesWorld87 View Post
So we're #4.

Bears - Will Anderson
Texans - Young or Stroud
Colts - Young or Stroud

I'm still not sold on either Stroud or Young being "can't miss" type of QB prospects, but they're both better and provide more promise than anything else we've had in quite some time. I think I'd prefer Stroud over Young, but with it feeling like both have more bust than boom potential, I'm not sure it really matters.

Will be interesting since it appears both will be drafted to the same division which will create even more intrigue with all of this for the next several years.
I think there’s a decent chance that either the Bears or Cardinals will trade back.

So it’s not as simple as the Colts are at number 4 so they’ll get one of the 2 top quarterbacks.

Also, Arizona will fire their coach and who knows if the new coach will be on board with Murray. He may want his own guy.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:31 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesWorld87 View Post
So we're #4.

Bears - Will Anderson
Texans - Young or Stroud
Colts - Young or Stroud

If there were no such thing as trades, that all lines up. And they likely take Stroud/Young. And maybe they really like one or both of these kids and really make sure they get one...

BUT... There sure seems to be a lot of uncertainty with these kids. And consider that our GM has a known philosophy of A.) not reaching with draft picks, B.) not paying "A" prices (including draft capital) for "B" players, and C.) he clearly values trading back and accumulating picks.

On top of all that... realize that there is a slew of QB-needy teams lined up right behind us:

#5 SEA
#6 DET (maybe)
#7 LV
#8 ATL
#9 CAR

These teams might like these kids a lot more than us. And further, they might be willing to make one of these ludicrous trades to move up and get one. In that case, I really wouldn't be surprised if we sit tight and take BPA.

I mean, shit, I actually don't know if I would be surprised if Ballard is the one that trades out of #4 for a bunch of picks.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:35 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
I think there’s a decent chance that either the Bears or Cardinals will trade back.

So it’s not as simple as the Colts are at number 4 so they’ll get one of the 2 top quarterbacks.

Also, Arizona will fire their coach and who knows if the new coach will be on board with Murray. He may want his own guy.
I think they are stuck with Murray. He signed a new contract before the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
You are out of your blooming mind.

Both these guys are more likely to bust than hit.

Not comping them, but it's like the 2018 draft. Baker, Darnold, Allen, Josh Rosen. Four of the top ten picks. Three lemons, one diamond. You want to be the guy who trades up for Stroud or Young, only to have Levis turn out to be Josh Allen, and not Ryan Leaf (not saying he is Allen-like, only that more top of the draft QB's bust than hit.)

I mean Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, Jarod Goff and Wentz, Mitch Trubisky, Mayfield and Darnold, Kyler Murray (maybe the best of this list, but still not really showing he's a franchise guy). 2020 was an exception with Joe Burrow, Tua, and Herbert all living up to/exceeding their pre-draft hype.

And to comp those two to Wilson (unless you mean this year's Wilson), and Aaron Freaking Rodgers, is insane.

And anyone who thinks it is a good idea to trade up to get one should be fired from their GM position immediately.
Obviously those are ceiling comps. I don't think Young is guaranteed to come in and be Russell Wilson, nor do I think Stroud is guaranteed to come in and be Aaron Rodgers. I just think that, if they hit their ceilings, those will be the QBs whose play style resembles theirs the most.

Also, of course drafting a franchise QB is a gamble, always is, always will be, but it's a gamble you HAVE to take if you want to be successful in the NFL. You HAVE to draft one and HAVE to hit on him to be a successful franchise. That's just how it works. No way to avoid that in the modern NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
Stop comparing Stroud to Rogers, they don't correlate. When the pocket collapses Rogers doesn't shit the bed. When pressure is in his face Rogers completes more than 40% of his passes. Stroud only completes 40% of his passes under pressure. Just a hint, but in the NFL you are under constant pressure and the pocket doesn't hold up indefinitely.

Stroud is not a plug and play franchise QB. Just stop it, its asinine.
I haven't seen this concern you keep bringing up. In fact in the Georgia game he stood in against pressure and made a lot of good throws, and escaped pressure often. Further, the other 5 games I watched of him outside of watching the Georgia game live showed me his ability to escape pressure, roll left or right, keep his eyes downfield, and create plays on the run. That's what led me to the Rodgers comp, because he was the only other QB I could think of who did that with such consistency. So unless you have a game to establish this "folds under pressure" claim you have, I'll just agree to disagree with you on that point, as there is no evidence of it, and quite a bit of evidence of the opposite.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:45 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
That means we get Carr and a right guard in the draft
Don't forget at least 1 if not 2 DE projects who didn't produce in college but have "great traits"
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Lov2fish (01-09-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:50 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
If there were no such thing as trades, that all lines up. And they likely take Stroud/Young. And maybe they really like one or both of these kids and really make sure they get one...

BUT... There sure seems to be a lot of uncertainty with these kids. And consider that our GM has a known philosophy of A.) not reaching with draft picks, B.) not paying "A" prices (including draft capital) for "B" players, and C.) he clearly values trading back and accumulating picks.

On top of all that... realize that there is a slew of QB-needy teams lined up right behind us:

#5 SEA
#6 DET (maybe)
#7 LV
#8 ATL
#9 CAR

These teams might like these kids a lot more than us. And further, they might be willing to make one of these ludicrous trades to move up and get one. In that case, I really wouldn't be surprised if we sit tight and take BPA.

I mean, shit, I actually don't know if I would be surprised if Ballard is the one that trades out of #4 for a bunch of picks.
You're probably right that if we want Young or Stroud we will likely have to trade up to get him b/c the Bears will likely trade down to a team that will draft one of the 2 with Houston choosing the other. If we're good w/ taking Levis then we can stay put I think. At least as things stand now, but a lot can change between now and draft day.