ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 07:29 AM
testcase448

Default I'm bored, minions doing the work..so.. Colts: Deon Cain could be a steal

Deon Cain

is the epitome of untapped potential, but the Indianapolis Colts could be the franchise that helps him become a steal of the 2018 NFL Draft.
The Indianapolis Colts aren’t receiving quite enough praise for how methodical they were at the 2018 NFL Draft. With Andrew Luck returning to a team that hasn’t exactly provided him with an ideal supporting cast, the Colts made it a point to help him return to form.

While all eyes are rightfully on offensive lineman Quenton Nelson, it’s a later selection that could prove to be one of the steals of the 2018 NFL Draft.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:49 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

I said it before, but it's worth repeating. I loved Day 3 of the draft. Ballard got some playmakers with very high upside as well as a few LBs who could compete for a spot.

Trenches early, playmakers late. I could live with those kinds of draft over the next several years.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

I think that if our coaches are inventive that a lot of our recent acquisitions could see field time and mismatches.

=========
Put a package in that consists of 2 TEs (Doyle, Ebron) and 3 RBs (Mack, Hines and Wilkins). Show wishbone formation with both TEs tight.

If defense has not gone jumbo, then call the run play and smash it at the point of attack.

If defense goes jumbo to counter, shift to a 4-wide set with Ebron, Doyle in slot positions and Mack and Hines at the wideout positions. Allow Luck to throw to whom is open.

=========
On successive plays...

- 4 WR of Hilton / Rogers / Cain / Fountain with a RB.
- 3 TE of Doyle, Ebron, Swoope with Hilton and a RB.
- The above mentioned wishbone formation
- Back to 4 WR
- Back to a split RB formation with both RBs doine wheel routes while our 2 WR run "go" routes clearing the defenses.

Seriously, I don't know that we have a single "complete" player at any of the spots except Hilton and Doyle but we have all sorts of "mix-n-match" style players that we can script into a very exciting, dynamic attack that hits all parts of an opposing defense.

Of course, that is all predicated on an Offensive Line that can hold its own.....HELLO! I love the drafting of Nelson & Smith and the signing of Howard. FINALLY! An O-Line that will allow Luck to have the time to find the mismatch!

My guess is that we are going to be able to watch this offense ALL DAY LONG!

Anyway, if Fountain and Cain (and Rogers) will listen to Reggie and Hilton and do what they say in order to develop, this could be fun.

Walk Worthy,
Old 05-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

There has been talk of a lack of playmakers on this team in the media in general, but I count 12 WRs, RBs, and TEs on this roster that will get playing time if they're kept.

WR: Hilton, Grant, Rogers, Cain, Fountain
RB: Mack, Turbin, Hines, Wilkins
TE: Doyle, Ebron, Travis

That's more than enough weapons for Luck to do great things with, and I'd be shocked if those rookie WRs don't climb the depth chart sooner rather than later, especially Cain. Now all we have to do is hope the defense doesn't give up 40 points per game.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:54 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
There has been talk of a lack of playmakers on this team in the media in general, but I count 12 WRs, RBs, and TEs on this roster that will get playing time if they're kept.

WR: Hilton, Grant, Rogers, Cain, Fountain
RB: Mack, Turbin, Hines, Wilkins
TE: Doyle, Ebron, Travis

That's more than enough weapons for Luck to do great things with, and I'd be shocked if those rookie WRs don't climb the depth chart sooner rather than later, especially Cain. Now all we have to do is hope the defense doesn't give up 40 points per game.
I think, that I would throw Swoope in there as well.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I think, that I would throw Swoope in there as well.
Swoooooooope, there he is!

Okay, bad pun but you get the idea.

Walk Worthy,
Old 05-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I said it before, but it's worth repeating. I loved Day 3 of the draft. Ballard got some playmakers with very high upside as well as a few LBs who could compete for a spot.

Trenches early, playmakers late. I could live with those kinds of draft over the next several years.
I was thinking the same thing. Tap into the best linemen, LBs, secondary, early. You can always find play makers later on. It would have to be a WR with Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones type measurables to consider one early. Even then I don't know if I would take one.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 PM
Post whore

If Luck is healthy, then that changes the whole complexion of this team. An improved O-line, some new playmakers, this offense could be fun to watch for once.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:45 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana V2 View Post
If Luck is healthy, then that changes the whole complexion of this team. An improved O-line, some new playmakers, this offense could be fun to watch for once.
The offense is going to be a lot more fun to watch, as there will be a lot of creativity involved for a change. I just hope the defense doesn't get stuck on the field or give up so many points that that creativity is stifled and ineffective.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Butter (05-15-2018), Maniac (05-14-2018), Oldcolt (05-15-2018), sherck (05-15-2018), VeveJones007 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

The offense hasn't actually been that fun to watch since 2014. I'm not convinced Luck will be great until he's got a few games under his belt. But I am expecting Reich to anticipate that and put the offense in the right position to protect Luck and get valuable reps in the new playbook. If Luck and the OL stay healthy the last 7-10 games could be really exciting. It'd be great if Cain could step up early and earn the #2 spot but I think that'll be Rogers, at least this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post: