ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts
Default Henry Anderson down 20 pounds

From a Stampede Blue article quoting Henry:
Quote:
“Having three months where I can really just focus on trying to get stronger, faster, get my body fat down and all that kind of stuff definitely feels good. About 15-20 pounds lighter than I was. We switched the scheme up a little bit so I have to be a little bit quicker and faster. I definitely just feel like I’m moving a lot better because obviously not carrying as much weight so you can kind of move around and be a little more agile.”

“Yeah, and it was kind of hard for me to keep the weight on. I could do it, but I feel like I’m a little bit more comfortable at this weight anyway. It wasn’t hard for me to drop that weight. Obviously, moving to the 4-3 I knew that I couldn’t be like an edge guy at 295 [pounds]. I kind of needed to drop some weight there.”

“I would think probably more of an outside guy in at least early downs and possibly kick inside on third down on more of like a pass rush situation. So we’ll see.

At the snap of the ball you’re just freaking going. It’s not as much sitting back and waiting. You’re just going and trying to disrupt. It’s exciting to hear the coaches talk about it. I wish I knew how it’s going to be playing the defense, but I really haven’t played it before so I’m not going to find out until once we get on to the field.”
The article author noted that losing 20 pounds would put Anderson at 285 which is the same weight that Aaron Donald plays at.

I had not really considered Anderson on the outside at DE in anything except anti-"jumbo" running packages. Be interesting to see where the coaches like him....and if he can stay healthy.

Walk Worthy,
Old 04-11-2018, 09:53 AM

If Anderson is lining up outside who does that leave inside? Woods doesn’t seem to fit after what was said about the Hankins release. When the switch to a 4-3 was announced I assumed Anderson and Hankins would be inside w/ Woods and Hunt in the rotation. I felt pretty good about that. Now I have no idea what that position group looks like.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
If Anderson is lining up outside who does that leave inside? Woods doesn’t seem to fit after what was said about the Hankins release. When the switch to a 4-3 was announced I assumed Anderson and Hankins would be inside w/ Woods and Hunt in the rotation. I felt pretty good about that. Now I have no idea what that position group looks like.
I think Ridgeway is going to factor larger than many believe. I think he is much better built as a 4-3 1-gap guy than the 2-gap guy we drafted him as.

If I had to rub the crystal ball while projecting Anderson outside on early downs:

RDE = Sheard, Basham
NT = Woods, Stewart
UT = Ridgeway, Hunt
LDE = Anderson, Aubry

Then perhaps Sheard / Anderson / Ridgeway / Basham on pure passing downs. Those 4 probably have the most "pep" in their get-up on the roster at the moment.

Walk Worthy,
Old 04-11-2018, 10:55 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

RDE = Sheard, Basham
NT = Woods, Stewart
UT = Ridgeway, Hunt
LDE = Anderson, Aubry

Then perhaps Sheard / Anderson / Ridgeway / Basham on pure passing downs.
that seems to make the most sense, though the possible addition of Chubb would alter this.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
that seems to make the most sense, though the possible addition of Chubb would alter this.
I don't think there is a position group on the team that we could not add a talented rookie to and be better.

QB, TE, OC, P, K are about the only places that a 1st or 2nd round rookie would not be welcome to join and become a probably day one starter. Any other position group would be upgraded by a talented rookie.

That said, I don't hate the current DT / DE position groups. They are no better than NFL average (at best) but at least there are not huge, gaping holes in their depth chart unlike MLB and WSLB depth charts (and honestly SSLB after John Simon).

There? Huge gaping holes!

Walk Worthy,
Old 04-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

o

"Give me the athletes."

Tony Dungy, when asked about his defensive linemen and linebackers whom were often lighter than most of said players on other teams.

Also, when Jimmy Johnson was coaching Miami Fla between 1984 and 1988, he moved converted some of his defensive backs into linebackers, and linebackers into defensive linemen ........ getting smaller, but also more athletic on the defensive side of the ball.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 04-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

I like Anderson, one of Grigs lone good picks. But I don't know if he can be a 3-tech. I think we draft one this draft. Now I wonder if he can be an end. Probably not, but hopeful.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:48 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Based on the Dallas defense that Eberflus is coming from, the strongside DE and the rangier DT are about the same in size and skillset. He could play either or both positions. Guessing he'll be in the David Irving role.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

"Give me the athletes."

Tony Dungy, when asked about his defensive linemen and linebackers whom were often lighter than most of said players on other teams.

Also, when Jimmy Johnson was coaching Miami Fla between 1984 and 1988, he moved converted some of his defensive backs into linebackers, and linebackers into defensive linemen ........ getting smaller, but also more athletic on the defensive side of the ball.

o
That's not a ringing endorsement since we had horrible DT's through most of Dungy's tenure until we got a fat ass to plug in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Butter (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

I mentioned this in several previous threads, that I though that Anderson would play somewhat of a Raheem Brock role. Play outside on run downs and move inside on passing downs.

I'm not saying that is what his role will be 100% of the time. There may be some games, against some opponents, that he plays more inside.