ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 10:48 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Really?

Because while a lot of depth chart and football sites want to put DT or DE next to our players, the reality of what I see is that both sides of our defense (strong side and weak side) are doing a 5-tech DE job.

Our base alignment is that our NT is either in the 0-tech (head up on OC) or the 1-tech (on one of the OC shoulders, usually the strong side one). His job is to try and fill the A gap (between OC and OG) on either side depending on where he feels the run develop.

Our DEs typically almost always in the 5-tech which is shading the inside shoulder of the OT in order to control the B gap (between OG and OT) and the C gap (outside of OT). They invite a double team from the OT and OG if possible so that the ILB on that side is freed up to attack the runner.

On a strong side run, if the NT is occupying the OC and weak side OG and the DE is occupying the strong side OG and OT, and the OLB[EDGE] is contending with the TE, then the strong side ILB is free to attack the runner. The weak side DE is 1v1 with the weak side OT and is hopefully holding both gaps in order to prevent backside cuts.

On a weak side run, the NT is, again, hoping to occupy the OC and strong side OG, the weak side DE occupying the weak side OG and weak side OT and both the weak side ILB and OLB[RUSH] are free to make the tackle with the strong side DE 1v1 on the strong side OT or double teamed by the strong side OT and TE.

If we played a "DE" and "DT" structure, the DE would be the 5-tech and the DT would be more of a "3-tech" which is a term that is typically used on a one-gap 'shooting" type defensive linemen rather than a two gap "stuffer" (our Under Tackle concept from when we played under Dungy). Our backside DE is not really playing a shooting style because I see them still holding a two gap responsibility against cutback.

Please tell me where I am wrong but I see our DE playing 2 gap from the 5-tech almost all the time; strong side or weak side.

Cheers,
Paganos base defense is a 5 tech on the string side, a 0 shade as I call it, and a 3 tech dt with the weak olber off the lt.

That is the design of the system. They mix it up but our base is not 2 5 techs

They seemed to mix it up more last year but I didn't have rewind ability to really see at all times
Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Three pages of discussion devoted to a ST player? Really?

If your panties are in a bunch over this, then grab a beer and step away from the computer/phone for a bit.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Three pages of discussion devoted to a ST player? Really?

If your panties are in a bunch over this, then grab a beer and step away from the computer/phone for a bit.
Robert Mathis started off as a special teams player

Dude blocked 3 fuckin kicks last year that alone could make a difference I a game
Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
A terrible player is good insurance. Let me guess, you like Obamacare
I have health insurance so I give a shit less about obamacare