ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
The only trade Ballard should even be contemplating right now is getting Buffalo's 2 first round picks. Even at that, if Chubb is still sitting there, I draft him at number 6. The one guy I don't want the Colts drafting is Barkley that high. Barkley is no Edgerrin James.
I'd love to get Buffalo's 2 1st round picks for #6, but what if they send those to the Giants for #2 and Chubb's drafted before #6? I'd certainly consider a trade at that point, if it meant accumulating more 2nd and 3rd rounders while still having a pick in the first third of the 1st round.

I also fear that, if Barkley somehow drops to #6, the owner may insist on picking him. Which, given the Colts' offensive line and needs, would IMO be sad for both the franchise and for Barkley.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiaColt View Post
I get the sense Ballard is a guy who's generally more interested in draft picks than in someone else's players. I may be totally off base with that, but given how much he's talked about building through the draft, I think he'd prefer something like the trade I mentioned, or a similar one.

And I'd be surprised if he made any move before the actual draft. Wait and see if Chubb gets picked at #2, #4 or #5, and if he does, THEN maybe do a deal.

Unless there really is another "mystery player" Ballard really likes at #6 (Edmunds?)
Apart from the fact that the Colts need help in rushing the passer, Ballard has given no strong indication that he's targeting Chubb even if he's available at 6. The trade down from #3 also suggests this, since at the time it looks like a near lock that Chubb would be available at #3. I'm not saying he won't take him if he's available, but (as I think rm1359 pointed out in another thread) I'm not sure he's as enthralled with Chubb as most of the general public seems to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Puck (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Apart from the fact that the Colts need help in rushing the passer, Ballard has given no strong indication that he's targeting Chubb even if he's available at 6. The trade down from #3 also suggests this, since at the time it looks like a near lock that Chubb would be available at #3. I'm not saying he won't take him if he's available, but (as I think rm1359 pointed out in another thread) I'm not sure he's as enthralled with Chubb as most of the general public seems to be.
there are multiple ways to get pressure on the passer, and they don't all involve weakside defensive end. For all I know, Ballard may look at Edmunds and see someone who can potentially pressure the passer more effectively, from more spots on the field, than Chubb or anyone else in this draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZiaColt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
There is absolutely no way the Colts would do that deal and not get the #11 pick from them.
Though I agree is not likely, I could see a scenario where Ballard agreed to such a trade. He's certainly shown he's not out to please the masses (Hankins), and I think if the deal was good enough he would take it regardless of the criticism he would face. I'm sure he'd extract another king's ransom to do it, but he'd do it.

My view of Ballard is not that he's interested in bringing in tons of bodies to fill spots, as some here have theorized, but rather that he's all about value. Maybe a Moneyball type of approach, where he's always trying to maximize his bang for his buck. He takes a bunch of second rounders from the Jets instead of insisting on their first next year. He doesn't sign top free agents and waits for the initial free agency frenzy to subside before he make any moves. He cuts high-priced players that don't fit his scheme.

I think he'll make moves based upon a cold, business-like decision about value and anticipated return. Rookies are cheap with lots of upside if you pick well. Top free agents are usually at their peak, cost exorbitant sums of money, and usually have little additional upside. Fill in any holes with more reasonably priced second or third tier free agents. When a special opportunity presents itself, maybe he'll have the resources to jump at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
there are multiple ways to get pressure on the passer, and they don't all involve weakside defensive end. For all I know, Ballard may look at Edmunds and see someone who can potentially pressure the passer more effectively, from more spots on the field, than Chubb or anyone else in this draft.
Agreed
Old 04-05-2018, 09:10 PM
Post whore

Mel Kiper isn't the type of person to break news of potential trades.
YDFL Commish (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana V2 View Post
Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana V2 View Post
so what you're saying is, Mel Kiper would be more likely to break his own hair than break any news of potential trades?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
You draft Edmunds because you believe in Eberflus's ability to develop LBs and you see him developing into your Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher with some seasoning and with the understanding that he's going to struggle early. If the Colts draft Edmunds, expect him to look ugly in his rookie year, because he'll be the age of most college football sophomores.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:17 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Laremy Tunsil (to move back to Guard where he excelled in 2016 as a rookie) would be an intriguing sweetener to offering us the #11 overall pick.
Have to ask about Tunsil and McMillan in any discussions with Miami.

If this rumor is real, it’s more likely posturing to get Buffalo to make a higher offer.