ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-14-2023, 03:04 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Doyel: NFL is hypocritical about gambling, but Colts CB Isaiah Rodgers Sr. has no exc

Doyel: NFL is hypocritical about gambling, but Colts CB Isaiah Rodgers Sr. has no excuse

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...r/70314252007/

Quote:

Isaiah Rodgers Sr. knew better

For now we wait to learn the fate of Rodgers Sr., who has implicitly admitted to breaking NFL rules on gambling. Save your snark about the hypocrisy of a professional sports league, one that has nakedly flung itself into bed with sports gambling sites, conducting such an investigation. You’re not wrong, but that’ll keep for a few paragraphs.

ADVERTISING

For now, as we wait to learn just how badly Rodgers Sr. has damaged his career – and the 2023 Indianapolis Colts’ postseason hopes, if you care – let’s stick with what we know:

He knew better.

I’d use the word “allegedly,” but to be honest, I don’t feel like dancing around the topic. The day in June when Rodgers Sr. was identified as being under investigation for gambling on NFL teams – including the Colts – he issued a statement on social media where he said things like "I take full responsibility for my actions" and "I made mistakes," plus another reference to "mistakes" before concluding:

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
News Across the U.S.
Access the digital replica of USA TODAY and more than 200 local newspapers with your subscription.
Click "Universal" in the eNewspaper
"I am very sorry for all of this."

One thing he didn’t say: The reports are wrong. Or misleading. Or even exaggerated.

He said things like “I made an error in judgment" and “I know I made mistakes.”

Rodgers Sr. didn’t do something innocently – oops? – only to learn, what do you know, there’s a rule against that! He knew better. Say what you want about the NFL, about its greed and hypocrisy of chasing the gambling dollar, but the league has made it abundantly clear to its players that they cannot gamble on the NFL ever, and they cannot gamble on any sport while at an NFL facility.

ADVERTISING

Whatever Rodgers Sr. has done, he did it to himself. But then, it’s worse than that.

He’s done it to the Colts, too.

Sports gambling is the cigarette of our generation

Rodgers Sr. wasn’t on the practice field Tuesday. Presumably wasn’t even in the building, but we don’t know that. As an organization, the Colts aren’t saying anything about the NFL’s investigation beyond what coach Shane Steichen said when the news broke last week, and he didn’t say much.

Insider: Steichen declines to answer most questions on Rodgers Sr. gambling investigation

Steichen was asked 15 questions that day, nine about Rodgers Sr. Including his opening statement, when he mentioned “the gambling issue,” Steichen had 10 different opportunities to address the behavior and future of Rodgers Sr., but he was no more insightful than in his opening remarks:

“All I’ll say on that is it’s an ongoing investigation with the NFL right now and we are constantly – it’s an ongoing process educating our players, educating our coaches on the situation. Beyond that, I will have probably no further comment going forward.”

ADVERTISING

Ten chances to talk about it, and Steichen never said the words “Isaiah Rodgers.” He never said the word cornerback, for heaven’s sake.

Doesn’t matter. We know what we know, and we can fill in the blanks on the rest.

Let’s start here: You know what sports gambling is, right? It’s the cigarette of our generation. All the cool kids are doing it, and the industry is pouring money into advertising and marketing and every other damn place – try to watch ESPN for more than 15 minutes without being told how much fun you can have on FanDuel or DraftKings – and the reckoning is coming.

Doyel in 2022: Sorts gambling is our next crisis, but until then, live it up dudes!

Nah, you’re right, nobody wants to hear that. Bah, what can it hurt? Gambling is all in fun, my guy. If you don’t like it, don’t do it. We’ve got it under control. Besides, we can stop at any time. Only an idiot would let gambling ruin his or her life.

ADVERTISING

But let’s keep it moving. Weren’t we discussing Isaiah Rodgers Sr.?

Is Rodgers good enough to get a second chance?

Let’s take Rodgers Sr. at his word, that he made mistakes and errors, that nothing in the initial reporting – including allegations that he bet on the Colts – warranted correction.

He’s done for the 2023 NFL season, is what that would mean, and maybe longer. Falcons receiver Calvin Ridley, who bet on his team, was suspended for the 2022 season. He’s back in 2023, now with the Jaguars, but he’s a star.

Isaiah Rodgers Sr. is just a guy.

Second chances are given on a sliding scale: The better you are, the better your shot at redemption. See what happened recently with the Detroit Lions? Four of their players were suspended in April for gambling, and three are gone. The only player the Lions held onto was receiver Jameson Williams. He’s a former first-round pick. He could be a star.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 03:35 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,552 Posts

Finally I agree with Doyle on an article......
JAFF (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 04:17 PM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

First article Doyel ever wrote that kind of makes sense. Maybe he will become a decent journalist after all. I have my doubts.
CletusPyle (06-14-2023), JAFF (06-14-2023)