ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-05-2023, 10:35 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
If Ngakoue is worth $10.5 million then, for Christ's sake was does that make JT worth?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating singing JT to a contract extension until he can prove he's healthy and productive. But holy shit, Ngakoue produces absolutely nothing.
These positional values get nasty in comparisons like these. Cause you're right in that JT is a much better football player than Ngakoue.

Quick glance, it looks like this makes Ngakoue the 35th ranked EDGE in terms of dollars/year. If he was a RB, he'd be ranked 6th.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:19 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Apples and Oranges. It is so much more difficult to pass rush than to play running back it isn't even close. It takes years to learn your craft as a pass rusher, running backs not so much. Having said that Ngakoue isn't worth 10 million.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 10:20 AM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Apples and Oranges. It is so much more difficult to pass rush than to play running back it isn't even close. It takes years to learn your craft as a pass rusher, running backs not so much. Having said that Ngakoue isn't worth 10 million.
Just stop already. Ngakoue is not getting beaten up on every play, in fact, It looks like he tries to avoid contact. While the RB is getting hit more than once on virtually every snap.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:32 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I didn't realize the NFL paid by how many hits you took. Here I thought it was all about how hard it was to reproduce your production, but alas it is about taking hits.

Ngakoue gets 8-10 sacks for 10 million. If you could get 6-8 sacs with a mid round draft choice for what, maybe less than a million a year, you would be crazy to spend 10 million. But you can't get that production (usually) out of a rookie pass rusher but easily get it out any number of running backs. Not only that it is almost impossible to win without some kind of consistent pass rush. Titles are won by teams without anything close to a break away threat at running back all the time. Pass rushers are way more difficult to find than adequate running backs and is way way more important to winning against the quality of QBs we have to go through.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 08-06-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:36 PM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I didn't realize the NFL paid by how many hits you took. Here I thought it was all about how hard it was to reproduce your production, but alas it is about taking hits.

Ngakoue gets 8-10 sacks for 10 million. If you could get 6-8 sacs with a mid round draft choice for what, maybe less than a million a year, you would be crazy to spend 10 million. But you can't get that production (usually) out of a rookie pass rusher but easily get it out any number of running backs. Not only that it is almost impossible to win without some kind of consistent pass rush. Titles are won by teams without anything close to a break away threat at running back all the time. Pass rushers are way more difficult to find than adequate running backs and is way way more important to winning against the quality of QBs we have to go through.
My point is that Ngakoue doesn't get consistent pass rush. He is getting sacks of the Eric Walden variety. Ngakoue's sacks are all of the cleanup, un- blocked or coverage variety sacks? He offers nothing in run support either.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (08-06-2023)