ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 AM

Thanked 4,281 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
My hunch is Pagano "stood on the table" for Tolzien. In fact, I'd say it's about a 99 percent chance he did.
That would be my guess as well

Not that that fully absolves Ballard of blame
Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 AM

Thanked 1,193 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextManUp View Post
Maybe I missed it, but why are more people not upset that Ballard didn't have a decent QB ready to go? Luck had surgery back in January. They had to have known that there was at least a chance that he wouldn't be ready. The organization seems like they were blindsided by some kind of freak accident. Did they not learn anything in 2011? There is plenty of cap space. Is Painter 2.0 really the best option out there?
From an earlier thread. Honestly, answer the question at the end.
Quote:
Not to be a downer, but whom would you have signed?

Mike Glennon and Jay Cutler all making more than $10m for 2017. Just a bit outside our price range for a backup QB.

Landry Jones (whom I like) stayed with the same team without negotiating with anyone else.

QBs over 30 (Ballard would probably have avoided): Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Josh Johnson, Joe Webb, Chase Daniels, T.J. Yates, Dan Orlovsky, Shaun Hill, Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Whitehead.

Matt Barkley (26 years old) was available. Nick Foles (28 years old) was available.However, both those guys wanted a chance to challenge for starter duties. Not happening in Indy.

The Remaining guys:

Case Keenum
Geno Smith
Blaine Gabbert
Austin Davis
Matt McGloin
E.J. Manuel
Thaddeus Lewis
Ryan Nassib
Kellen Moore
David Fales
Aaron Murray
Colin Kaepernick
RGIII
Christian Pounder
Zach Mettenberger
Keith Wenning
Dylan Thompson
Sean Renfree

Which one of those world beaters would you have said, prior to free agency starting, is heads and shoulders better than Scott Tolzien?
Answer the question. The QB free agency class was thin.

I am not saying that Ballard did not make some mistakes this off season; using a 4th round draft pick on a guy who is apparently lazy was one of them.

But backup QB? Which one of those world beaters is your solution? Because whomever you pick, I can argue the opposite with probably more firepower.

Walk Worthy,
Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 AM

Surely they can teach Brissett even 20 or so plays for the game. He has had a couple weeks with the system. I realize its a short time for a big playbook, but lets be honest, the Colts offensive playbook does not appear to be that vast or complicated in the first place. Which is part of the problem.

And there are some plays ever team runs. Hand off to Gore/Mack. Maybe actually run some screen plays he can complete. Short passes to Doyle. Some end arounds to get TY Hilton in the game even if you can't pass it to him. Simple routes to Moncrief/Hilton. Fly/post patterns to them when needed. How tough could it be to teach him a small group of basic plays?

Just don't put Tolzien out there again. Don't bother, waste of time.

Which of course means, Tolzien will start