ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-01-2021, 07:01 PM

Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
The issue is our record to me. I could obviously be wrong (am most of the time) but I think a bigger commitment to the running game would help in winning. Imposing your will kinda shit. Now I may be playing checkers and Reich is playing chess. We may be watching the pro refinement of an RPO offense being developed before our eyes. If so then you are right, next year will be fun (we should have the receivers by then and the line will hopefully be less banged up). I do like Reich. He has the things in a man that cannot be learned. Integrety, honesty etc. I just wish he would run the damn ball more.
I agree, but sometimes you cannot just impose your will against certain teams.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:25 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

[QUOTE=ChaosTheory;214088]At the risk of coming across as a dick (sorry), and I know you're not a "Fire Reich" guy which is who most of my comments are aimed at, but I have to say...

I don't understand this statement. If you believe the outcome could not have been improved, then what are we talking about here for three days?

If the gameplan couldn't have been better prior to catastrophic player errors, and then after the player errors we decide we don't like the gameplan... It's got to be a textbook example of post-hoc criticism.

No offense taken. I am not necessarily talking about one game. For me any one game can be a one off and you do weird things (like pass 26 times in a row). Sometimes it works, sometimes not. My concern is the track we are moving to the offensive side. We were on track to be a team that bullied folks with a mean offensive line and imposed our will. Racehorse says you can't impose your will on every team and he is correct, but you sure as hell can try. We are starting to play like those finesse teams of old. I would like us to be bullies again. Shit people keep saying we must have good blockers even at receiver. Why if you are not going to run the ball? Pascal's best attribute is his blocking for goodness sake. It looks to me that this team was being built to run the ball and I loved it. I hope this is just a blip and we get back to a more balanced attack.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:55 PM

Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
We were on track to be a team that bullied folks with a mean offensive line and imposed our will. Racehorse says you can't impose your will on every team and he is correct, but you sure as hell can try. We are starting to play like those finesse teams of old. I would like us to be bullies again. Shit people keep saying we must have good blockers even at receiver. Why if you are not going to run the ball? Pascal's best attribute is his blocking for goodness sake. It looks to me that this team was being built to run the ball and I loved it. I hope this is just a blip and we get back to a more balanced attack.
I agree with this. I just don't like the hyperbole from those who say Frank needs fired.
Chromeburn (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 10:03 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Article in IndyStar backs up what I have been saying. Nobody is calling for Reich to be fired (at least not me) but even the players felt we were getting away from who we are. That is all I wanted, awareness that the road for this team is through the trenches, not primarily on Wentz's arm. We can run on anyone, lets force our will on teams the rest of this year.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ty/8790325002/
Old 12-03-2021, 10:55 AM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

I love our O-line, Taylor, and our running game. It should be our primary weapon, obviously. But I also like adaptation.

The thing that's bothered me most this week (and that article alludes to it again) is the play-calling taking the blame for the loss. For a 5-turnover game (4 really), turnovers have gotten a relatively low amount of press.

It's a dead horse so I'll leave it alone, but one more tidbit...

The Patriots just crushed the Titans 36-13. But how many people realize that Tennessee ran the ball 39 times for 270 yards? That's 6.9ypc. Without Henry. And they lost by 23pts.

How? 3 fumbles lost and an interception.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-03-2021), YDFL Commish (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I love our O-line, Taylor, and our running game. It should be our primary weapon, obviously. But I also like adaptation.

The thing that's bothered me most this week (and that article alludes to it again) is the play-calling taking the blame for the loss. For a 5-turnover game (4 really), turnovers have gotten a relatively low amount of press.

It's a dead horse so I'll leave it alone, but one more tidbit...

The Patriots just crushed the Titans 36-13. But how many people realize that Tennessee ran the ball 39 times for 270 yards? That's 6.9ypc. Without Henry. And they lost by 23pts.

How? 3 fumbles lost and an interception.
I generally agree with this, and as the week has passed, I am drifting away from my frustration. However, one bias I can't get over is that I believe that the most crucial TO was the strip sack, and while that was almost entirely to Fisher getting beat, I thought at the time, and still do, that our predictability helped put us into the possibility of a play like this. Just one or two runs to keep the D somewhat honest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (12-03-2021), Oldcolt (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:07 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

The reason they lost was the turnovers. Turnovers will kill your chances no matter what you do.

That said, I think we could have mitigated our turnovers if we had sprinkles in the run. By becoming predictable I think they allowed TB to concentrate on passrush with their speed. We have one good receiver and then it’s iffy after that. I would force us to pass all the time if I was the opposing team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
The reason they lost was the turnovers. Turnovers will kill your chances no matter what you do.

That said, I think we could have mitigated our turnovers if we had sprinkles in the run. By becoming predictable I think they allowed TB to concentrate on passrush with their speed. We have one good receiver and then it’s iffy after that. I would force us to pass all the time if I was the opposing team.
I just can’t agree with that argument. Only one of the turnovers would have possibly been affected by that. Pascals fumble, Hines fumble, and the first interception had nothing to do with pressure. The last interception was a Hail Mary where Wentz was flushed from the pocket by a 3 man rush, but still not really applicable. So only the strip sack. But every RPO the team ran became a pass because TB was dead set in stopping the run - both in alignment and after the snap. That doesn’t fit the narrative of a team no longer concerned with the run. They were so concerned with the run that they sold out to stop it. Colts players just made too many bad plays.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (12-03-2021), Racehorse (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 02:40 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

Great call out on the WR's. Frank isn't necessarily working with Randy, Jerry, and Marvin out there but we still throw it 26 straight times?
Old 12-03-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Great call out on the WR's. Frank isn't necessarily working with Randy, Jerry, and Marvin out there but we still throw it 26 straight times?
Goes to show you exactly how good the play calls were against one of the better teams in the league. They had no problem moving the ball against a good defense with admittedly a poor receiving corp.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-03-2021)