ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-26-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I don't know how any of can know what is going on behind the scenes. Ballard could've reached out to multiple vet O-Linemen, but either couldn't come to terms on a contract, wanted to be guaranteed a starting position, didn't want to go through the rigors of training camp or any multitude of reasons.

I'm not going to sweat it until Ballard makes the fateful mistake of not going into the regular season w/o vet depth.
Entirely possible Ballard tried and failed to sign someone - we seen how much he values non superstar vets (Denico Autry). I hope he makes some additions before the start of the season. Regardless, getting to this point says he doesn’t value it the way I believe it should be valued. After watching this line last year and watching Luck’s career end the way it did, I’m honestly surprised so few seem to care. But Ballard has always been Teflon. We’ll see how it all plays out.
Old 07-26-2023, 02:39 PM

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Entirely possible Ballard tried and failed to sign someone - we seen how much he values non superstar vets (Denico Autry).

I am not sure what you mean here.

The Colts reportedly made Autry an offer that was similar in length and overall money to the contract he accepted with Tennessee.

The main difference between the two offers was that Tennessee was willing to guarantee a small portion (~$2M) of Autry's salary during the second year of the contract whereas Ballard wanted all the guarantees to be in Year 1 (except for the signing bonus which is prorated over the length of the contract).

I think the bigger issue for Autry was that he felt a bit disrespected that Ballard didn't make it a priority to extend him during the season like Grover Stewart and that the Colts were willing to wait until the off season for the negotiations. If that is what you mean by not being "valued" - OK, sure. But I am not sure the answer is to offer in season extensions to nearly every vet on the team either - even if you intend to re-sign them.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 07-26-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2023, 03:19 PM

Since he didn't draft Autry maybe he just wasn't "our guy".
Old 07-26-2023, 05:00 PM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Nah man - the roster is constructed in the only way possible. Anyone not signed was awful and wouldn’t have came here anyway. And if the line sucks or an injury occurs that we can’t adequately fill in season, it was impossible to foresee and any criticism will be deemed hindsight.

Ballard’s the greatest, most bestest GM ever and this is surely a SB winning season. Right Racehorse?
That is an awful strawman you developed there.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:33 PM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I don't know how any of can know what is going on behind the scenes. Ballard could've reached out to multiple vet O-Linemen, but either couldn't come to terms on a contract, wanted to be guaranteed a starting position, didn't want to go through the rigors of training camp or any multitude of reasons.

I'm not going to sweat it until Ballard makes the fateful mistake of not going into the regular season w/o vet depth.
Maybe Ballard did reach out to some OL, but it sure seems like he didn't prioritize the OL in either FA or the draft. Which after the complete disaster the OL was last year he really should have added something. Even if he had to overspend a bit. Hopefully he's able to find some depth off of the waiver wire, etc., but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:37 PM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Well apparently I also like to whine like a little girl. It seems to me that somewhere during this past post season we could have found one or two guards and an offensive tackle with some experience to, if nothing else,push these guys just a little. We have zero depth in any position except center, if an injury occurs (what is the chance of that happening?) we are fucked, may be fucked even without an injury at guard and left tackle with no backup plan-just like last year. And I don't know their freaking names, not my job to know lineman at this depth. Maybe there is no one available now but there was in March.
It's ok. I read that Ballard's crystal ball has assured him that no one on the OL will get hurt this year, and that it is indeed a new crystal ball. Ballard wisely sold his his old, shitty one in a garage sale after it told him that Pryor and Pinter would work out ok.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 07-26-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 03:30 PM

1.08 mil for the year. I like it.