ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > NFL > NFL Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-12-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
It’s not racist to be offended by someone kneeling for the national anthem.
Lee Atwater had a fairly famous quote that I believe applies to what I believe about the situation. It goes right along with the cries about “erasing history” when taking down monuments to confederate soldiers while also passing anti-CRT legislation to make sure you control how history is taught. The venn diagram for those three things would nearly be a circle. And to be fair, some of it isn’t blatant racism, it’s willful indifference. Willful indifference on the treatment of fellow Americans by people so caught up in “patriotism” they foam at the mouth when someone quietly kneels.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:36 AM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Lee Atwater had a fairly famous quote that I believe applies to what I believe about the situation. It goes right along with the cries about “erasing history” when taking down monuments to confederate soldiers while also passing anti-CRT legislation to make sure you control how history is taught. The venn diagram for those three things would nearly be a circle. And to be fair, some of it isn’t blatant racism, it’s willful indifference. Willful indifference on the treatment of fellow Americans by people so caught up in “patriotism” they foam at the mouth when someone quietly kneels.
There are black guys who knelt during the anthem who are still playing today. It’s not about race for most people.

World War 2 was just a generation ago, Vietnam and Korea less than a generation. A LOT of people had family members or know people who fought and died in those wars. The flag means a whole hell of a lot to them. Same for people who are in the military now.

It’s pretty unfair to label all those people as racist.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-12-2022), smitty46953 (04-12-2022), Spike (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
There are black guys who knelt during the anthem who are still playing today. It’s not about race for most people.

World War 2 was just a generation ago, Vietnam and Korea less than a generation. A LOT of people had family members or know people who fought and died in those wars. The flag means a whole hell of a lot to them. Same for people who are in the military now.

It’s pretty unfair to label all those people as racist.
I’m a vet and I can tell you military status has very little to do with your view on kneeling. In fact a poll on VA.org shows 49% to 45% don’t view kneeling as disrespectful. As I’ve pointed out, the cross over between those who think kneeling is disrespectful, those who think removing confederate statues is wrong (people who killed US soldiers), and those supporting anti-CRT legislation is very, very high. That same group also largely supported a president who started making a name for himself by using race and you can clearly see it with their current politicians doing just what Atwater said. So it’s not about race, but coincidentally they keep consistently coming out on the side that racists do.

And you know what else isn’t really that long ago? The civil rights movement, Jim Crow, and lynchings. But that same group pretends that’s ancient history, so spare me on WWII - where African Americans were sent to die and then denied GI Bills their white counterparts received. If you care about the flag but not the people it represents you aren’t a fucking patriot. Doesn’t make anyone racist, just indifferent and selfish.

Last edited by rm1369; 04-12-2022 at 12:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
JAFF (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I’m a vet and I can tell you military status has very little to do with your view on kneeling. In fact a poll on VA.org shows 49% to 45% don’t view kneeling as disrespectful. As I’ve pointed out, the cross over between those who think kneeling is disrespectful, those who think removing confederate statues is wrong (people who killed US soldiers), and those supporting anti-CRT legislation is very, very high. That same group also largely supported a president who started making a name for himself by using race and you can clearly see it with their current politicians doing just what Atwater said. So it’s not about race, but coincidentally they keep consistently coming out on the side that racists do.

And you know what else isn’t really that long ago? The civil rights movement, Jim Crow, and lynchings. But that same group pretends that’s ancient history, so spare me on WWII - where African Americans were sent to die and then denied GI Bills their white counterparts received. If you care about the flag but not the people it represents you aren’t a fucking patriot. Doesn’t make anyone racist, just indifferent and selfish.
So a majority of the armed forces views the kneeling as disrespectful. That’s what I said, I believe.

You can make the jump all you want that racism is mainly to blame, but that’s your opinion. Reality says differently. The poll you cited says differently.

Also, you can stop bringing up Trump. I hated that jackass, but he has nothing to do with what we’re discussing, except for your desire to connect him and his supporters with racism.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Well I would say that’s the nail in the coffin. 25 teams were there. Bet they loved flying out there for nothing.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Also, CRT is Marxist inspired horseshit that has no business being taught in our schools, except maybe colleges.

CRT has very little to do with history. It, by its own definition, seeks to examine the societal and institutional dynamics that created what THEY view as a fundamentally and irredeemably racist society.

I don’t think this country is fundamentally and irredeemably racist and I sure as hell don’t want to teach our kids that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Spike (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
So a majority of the armed forces views the kneeling as disrespectful. That’s what I said, I believe.

You can make the jump all you want that racism is mainly to blame, but that’s your opinion. Reality says differently. The poll you cited says differently.

Also, you can stop bringing up Trump. I hated that jackass, but he has nothing to do with what we’re discussing, except for your desire to connect him and his supporters with racism.
No 49% don’t view it as disrespectful, 45% do. So most don’t have a problem with kneeling. Although it’s close. The point being, military membership actually tells you very little about a persons stance on the issue. You are wrong. Your political leanings are a much better indicator.

Reality says that beating a woman or fondling one is less of an issue than being the face of racial protests - the point of the article. Don’t bring of Watson or Hill, research some of the lesser known guys who still get chances. Reality says that if Kap had never knelt he would have still played in the NFL. Of course reality says all kinds of things about race in this country that the anti-kneeling crowd don’t want to address. Or they want to address as a one off individual issue - disconnected from all others. Atwater’s quote is the exact method of the current Republican Party. You can be ignorant and think Republican politicians just always come down on the same side of issues as racists if you want. As I said, doesn’t make you racist. Just willfully ignorant or selfish, IMO. You didn’t like a trump? Great. But again, being a trump supporter is an absolutely great indicator of where someone falls on this issue. Try to compartmentalize it all you want, but there is pretty big trend there. I’m not surprised some want to ignore it.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Also, CRT is Marxist inspired horseshit that has no business being taught in our schools, except maybe colleges.

CRT has very little to do with history. It, by its own definition, seeks to examine the societal and institutional dynamics that created what THEY view as a fundamentally and irredeemably racist society.

I don’t think this country is fundamentally and irredeemably racist and I sure as hell don’t want to teach our kids that.
CRT is a college level theory looking at how race and our institutions are intertwined. Your description sounds like it’s right off FOX News. Not surprisingly the Republican Party has their followers believing it is regularly taught in grade schools. It’s racist propaganda horseshit. Again, Atwater 100%. Not surprisingly the same group that cried we were “erasing history” by removing statues (of people who fought against our ohh so precious flag to maintain slavery) are now whitewashing history.

I’m sure you don’t want your kids taught that slavery was enshrined in the constitution or the reasons for the 3/5ths compromise, about the trail of tears, black Wall Street or the Tulsa riots. You want to pretend race isn’t a historical issue? While lecturing me on not how long ago WWII is? We wouldn’t want to make white kids uncomfortable would we? But black kids should suck it up when their community CELEBRATES a traitorous confederate soldier who fought to keep them enslaved. I’m sure race doesn’t enter into that logic, does it?

Last edited by rm1369; 04-12-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
No 49% don’t view it as disrespectful, 45% do. So most don’t have a problem with kneeling. Although it’s close. The point being, military membership actually tells you very little about a persons stance on the issue. You are wrong. Your political leanings are a much better indicator.

Reality says that beating a woman or fondling one is less of an issue than being the face of racial protests - the point of the article. Don’t bring of Watson or Hill, research some of the lesser known guys who still get chances. Reality says that if Kap had never knelt he would have still played in the NFL. Of course reality says all kinds of things about race in this country that the anti-kneeling crowd don’t want to address. Or they want to address as a one off individual issue - disconnected from all others. Atwater’s quote is the exact method of the current Republican Party. You can be ignorant and think Republican politicians just always come down on the same side of issues as racists if you want. As I said, doesn’t make you racist. Just willfully ignorant or selfish, IMO. You didn’t like a trump? Great. But again, being a trump supporter is an absolutely great indicator of where someone falls on this issue. Try to compartmentalize it all you want, but there is pretty big trend there. I’m not surprised some want to ignore it.
We went through why players tend to get second chances already in this thread. It has more to do with how talented you are than anything. That’s reality, regardless of your opinion.

And again, the league went out of their way to set up a second chance for Kap and he blew it off. Why won’t you address that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
CRT is a college level theory looking at how race and our institutions are intertwined. Your description sounds like it’s right off FOX News. Not surprisingly the Republican Party has their followers believing it is regularly taught in grade schools. It’s racist propaganda horseshit. Again, Atwater 100%. Not surprisingly the same group that cried we were “erasing history” by removing statues (of people who fought against our ohh so precious flag to maintain slavery) are now whitewashing history.

I’m sure you don’t want your kids taught that slavery was enshrined in the constitution or the reasons for the 3/5ths compromise, about the trail of tears, black Wall Street or the Tulsa riots. You want to pretend race isn’t a historical issue? While lecturing me on not how long ago WWII is? We wouldn’t want to make white kids uncomfortable would we? But black kids should suck it up when their community CELEBRATES a traitorous confederate soldier who fought to keep them enslaved. I’m sure race doesn’t enter into that logic, does it?
I was paraphrasing on the description but I got it from critical race theory-an introduction, a book written by 2 people who were involved in its founding. And my description wasn’t THAT different from yours, so I don’t know where you got the Fox News bit.

And yes, CRT has been taught in colleges for a long time now. The bills I’ve read seek to prevent it being taught earlier.

I’m not sure it’s necessary, but a lot of stuff gets passed that isn’t necessary.

As for the 3/5ths compromise, the trail of tears, and the Tulsa race riots, I learned all about that stuff when I went to school in the 90’s, so I’m not sure what exactly is being “whitewashed”?