ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

View Poll Results: What to do with 21?
OT 17 53.13%
Pass Rush 3 9.38%
CB 0 0%
BPA 6 18.75%
Trade the pick (for draft pick? Player?) 3 9.38%
Other. (please elaborate) 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2021, 06:04 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

o

On several occasions, I have said that one of my football mentors when I was a kid taught me that anytime you start a football team at the professional level, you always start with the offensive line ...... not the quarterback, not the special teams, not the running backs, and not the defensive secondary. The reason being is that without at least a decent offensive line, you have nothing. Perhaps if you have a quarterback who can scramble like a madman (Fran Tarkenton, Michael Vick, Randall Cunningham, Roger Staubach) you can compensate for a lousy offensive line, but only to a certain extent.

Well, the Colts already appear to have an (at least) above average offensive line. In a super-small sample size in the playoff game against the Bills, they did an excellent job even without the newly retired Anthony Castonzo, who missed the game after having had ankle surgery. And now, we appear to have an (at least) very sufficient quarterback in Carson Wentz ...... so, does Ballard make what already seems to be a strong aspect of the team even stronger, and draft an offensive lineman with the team's 1st-round pick at # 21 ??? Or does he have something else in mind, feeling that the team has other, more pressing needs in some other area ??? The fact that the Colts traded their 3rd-round draft pick in 2021 could mean that they really need make those first 2 draft picks count. Stay tuned, it should be extremely interesting.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 02-18-2021, 06:04 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I wonder if smith has quick enough feet to play left tackle. Most left tackles are very nifty and light on their feet.
He didnt give up a sack last year, and the differences between tackles is getting smaller
Old 02-18-2021, 06:06 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Personal preference is a pass rusher. Although I won’t be mad at LT. Anything else is dumb

That is assuming we don’t trade for a qb
The D needs to help Bruckner get pressure on the Qb
Old 02-18-2021, 10:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

After today's trade, trading for Orlando Brown Jr. makes even more sense IMO. Get the OL locked up, then use free agency to shore up the pass rush and go exclusively BPA in the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (02-18-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 01:20 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
After today's trade, trading for Orlando Brown Jr. makes even more sense IMO. Get the OL locked up, then use free agency to shore up the pass rush and go exclusively BPA in the draft.
Hope not. Don’t want to give up draft choices and sign him to a long term deal. To costly. Don’t think Ballard will trade any more draft picks and I don’t want him to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (02-22-2021), Racehorse (02-19-2021), rcubed (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 01:50 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Hope not. Don’t want to give up draft choices and sign him to a long term deal. To costly. Don’t think Ballard will trade any more draft picks and I don’t want him to.
You give up the 21st pick, get Brown, sign him to an extension, and you're still likely looking at ~$45 million of cap room for the Colts to play with along with the youngest, best OL in the NFL. Address the pass rush in free agency and look for more skill players in the draft, and you're looking at a team that can contend for a championship if Reich can fix Wentz.

Last edited by Dam8610; 02-19-2021 at 01:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (02-19-2021)