ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 04:34 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts
Default Scouting Reports

I've decided that I'm going to post scouting reports of the draft prospects I watch video on. If you don't care or don't want to read it, now is a great time to go to another thread. I'm only going to be doing players I watch and only as I have time. If I put player comps, they are based on upside of the player (90th or greater percentile development outcome). If there are requests, I will try to do those. I will also try to post one on each player the Colts actually draft between the draft and the start of training camp (though that may not be possible depending on the amount of film available on each player). Without further ado:

Bradley Chubb DE/OLB NCSU

Strengths: Can take over and dominate a game defensively, effectively neutralizing aspects of an opposing offense (see: @ FSU 2017). Strong at the point of attack and rarely gives ground. Plays assignments well and can be highly effective against the run, at times generating tackles for loss or forcing the runner into a negative play. Relentless, high motor player who does not give up on plays. Often see him chasing a runner down coming from opposite of play side of formation. Bends the edge well and has the explosion off the line to get to and around the tackle's outside shoulder. Pass rush technique is already highly developed with excellent swim and rip moves and handfighting skills. Also often sets up tackles who are trying to quickly jump outside to prevent him from bending the edge by crossing them up and getting by on the inside shoulder to create a more direct route to the QB, which is to me his most effective (signature?) pass rush maneuver. Executes stunts well and can offer interior pass rush pressure in this way, rarely having any issue beating interior lineman at the point of attack. Could potentially be effective as the UT in a obvious passing down 3 DE rush set.

Weaknesses: While not a liability in space, is not very fluid and should not be asked to drop into coverage often. Does not get hands up in pass game when effectively blocked. Quicker tackles in NFL may be more effective against him. Lacks elite speed and will not be able to run down the most athletic QBs and RBs when they reach their top gear. Can disappear for stretches, especially when offensive gameplan focuses on neutralizing him with chips, doubles, etc. Bull rush is not as developed as other pass rush moves, and he could learn new moves and better leverage techniques to be more effective as a rusher.

Other: Overall profile seems best suited to 4-3 DE, but could transition to 3-4 DE if necessary. Does not seem suited for 3-4 OLB position, but could be effective there if necessary.

Player Comparison: Jared Allen
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
daedge (02-28-2018), Dewey 5 (02-25-2018), GoBigBlue88 (02-25-2018), Indiana V2 (02-24-2018), Indystu2 (02-27-2018), Puck (02-24-2018), Racehorse (02-25-2018), sherck (02-24-2018), smitty46953 (02-24-2018), YDFL Commish (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Post whore

Marcus Davenport DE/OLB UTSA

Strengths: Possesses rare combination of size, speed, and athleticism for the position. Strong and violent at the point of attack and uses length and size to set the edge against the run. Quick-twitch athlete who uses speed and explosion to get around the tackle's outside shoulder when rushing the passer, and has the athleticism to bend the edge. Gets hands up in the passing game when effectively blocked. Relentless, high motor player who will make plays in pursuit and can catch runners from behind. Plays very well in space, possesses the speed to make plays from sideline to sideline, and can run with and cover backs, tight ends, and some receivers. Combines strength and speed to create an effective bull rush move.

Weaknesses: Needs to learn how to use his hands better as a pass rusher and how to play with better leverage. Plays too high often and allows himself to get blocked too easily. Currently has two pass rush moves: edge rush and bull rush. Needs a good DL/LB coach who can teach him an array of rush moves to become effective in the NFL. Can be neutralized at times with chip blocks or even on single blocks. Can be moved against the run at times. Level of competition will be a large jump for him, may take time to adjust to NFL.

Other: Classic boom or bust prospect. Has size and athleticism to play 3-4 OLB, likely his best position in the NFL. Could also be effective in the NFL as a 4-3 DE.

Player Comparison: Khalil Mack
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (02-24-2018), Indystu2 (02-27-2018), Puck (02-25-2018), smitty46953 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Good work Dam
Dam8610 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:43 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Good work Dam
Thanks. As a reminder, I am taking requests, but if I don't get any, I will probably continue to work through DL and edge rushers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

I'm interested in opinions on Jamarco Jones. Intrigues me as an OL prospect who could be there at top of 2nd, and who could possibly be the answer to IND's long-standing RT problem.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Your best work Dammy !!!

I want to trade back a few spots if possible and grab Quenton Nelson of Notre Dame
Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I'm interested in opinions on Jamarco Jones. Intrigues me as an OL prospect who could be there at top of 2nd, and who could possibly be the answer to IND's long-standing RT problem.
Jamarco Jones OT OSU

Strengths: Massive player who clearly has the body of an NFL lineman. Strong, violent road grader who will move people in the run game, knows how to block his man out of the play, and excels at getting to the second level. Shows athleticism in the run game, working effectively in space and showing good pull ability. Intelligent technician who will rarely be fooled by blitzes and effectively switches blocks on stunts and twists. When he squares a block and locks on to his man, he wins. Excellent inline blocker. Bull rushes do not work against him, size and strength neutralize instantly.

Weaknesses: Does not have the footwork for LT despite obvious athleticism. Has trouble against speed rushers and edge rushes. Struggles to force edge rushers to run the arc. Plays too high and would be more effective as a pass blocker with a lower stance to help convert size to power. Pass rush moves and handfighting will beat him as a pass blocker, needs to learn technique to counter this.

Other: May be best suited to OG in NFL. RT only if OT, and will need to improve footwork and pass blocking to stick.

Player Comparison: Nate Solder
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
GoBigBlue88 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:54 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Your best work Dammy !!!

I want to trade back a few spots if possible and grab Quenton Nelson of Notre Dame
No to a guard that early
Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

It is nice to have a Dam thread without coaching talk.

I'm interested in the 4-3 LBs. Roquan Smith, Rashaan Evans, Tremaine Edwards, Malik Jefferson, Leighton Vander Esch, Darius Leonard. That is a lot of prospects so if you're up for it I think a simplified review and then a specific look at fit for this defense would be helpful. I mean if you want to write up all of them feel free but that's a lot of watching.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (02-25-2018), Racehorse (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
No to a guard that early
I mentioned trade back Chubb or Barkley if we pick 3rd Nah, gotta protect the QB Quenton Nelson here for me !!!