ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-26-2022, 12:50 AM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

On a partial rewatch, it’s hard to believe how bad KC’s special teams were. The muffed punt, missed extra point, missed field goal, the inexplicably bad fake field goal on 4th and 10 that wouldn’t have counted anyway because of a penalty, letting the colts down a punt on the 1 inch line.

Mahomes looked off as well. He seemed to get happy feet after the Ngakoue sack even though that was the only one he took all day. He did have to move around in the pocket quite a bit. They don’t really have much at receiver outside of Kelce now that Hill is gone.

I didn’t realize how bad Ryan’s pocket awareness is. It’s pretty brutal and he’s basically a statue back there, which is not a good combination.

Having said that, the OL really needs to get its shit together.

All in all, probably a little lucky to get that win but I’ll damn well take it.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:31 AM

Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
I don’t think it was anything egregious, it was more the way it happened. Jones kind of started yapping while they were still on the ground and then continued when they got up, all with the ref right there.

It looked like a borderline call but all Jones has to do is stfu and walk back to the huddle. Maybe he’d been warned before.

Besides, by far the worst call of the game was the two point conversion. There’s no way that was a catch. It wasn’t even close.
And the fact that he laid there holding Ryan down. Totally unsportsmanlike.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:33 AM

Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
On a partial rewatch, it’s hard to believe how bad KC’s special teams were. The muffed punt, missed extra point, missed field goal, the inexplicably bad fake field goal on 4th and 10 that wouldn’t have counted anyway because of a penalty, letting the colts down a punt on the 1 inch line.

Mahomes looked off as well. He seemed to get happy feet after the Ngakoue sack even though that was the only one he took all day. He did have to move around in the pocket quite a bit. They don’t really have much at receiver outside of Kelce now that Hill is gone.

I didn’t realize how bad Ryan’s pocket awareness is. It’s pretty brutal and he’s basically a statue back there, which is not a good combination.

I think the DLine has figured out how to work as a unit. They got a ton of pressure with just four guys quite often today. At least that is how it looked to me.
CletusPyle (09-26-2022), Spike (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 08:57 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:

45-27 Chiefs. Mahomes rolls over the defense for 400 yards and 5 touchdowns.

On the bright side, McLaughlin doesn’t miss any kicks, and hits from 51 and 48.

I’m not sure I’ve ever been less confident going into a game.

Have at it, freaks. Talk me off the ledge.

o

McLaughlin hit 2 field goals, and one of thme was indeed from 51 yards out. The other was from 43 instead of the 48 that you predicted ...... you were wrong about most of your prediction(s), but spot on about McLaughlin.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 09-26-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

McLaughlin hit 2 field goals, and one of thme was indeed from 51 yards out. The other was from 43 instead of the 48 that you predicted ...... you were wrong about most of your prediction(s), but spot on about McLaughlin.

o
His 51 yarder was a BB and would have been good from 60. Dude has a leg, which is the opposite of what we have been enduring from specs. Keep him until he starts shanking, or someone better emerges. After reading his stats, I am confident when he walks out on the field in the 50 plus range.
rcubed (09-26-2022), Spike (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 10:58 AM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I think the DLine has figured out how to work as a unit. They got a ton of pressure with just four guys quite often today. At least that is how it looked to me.
The thing is, other than Ngakoue, they really weren't try to sack Mahomes. The other 3 guys on the DL were trying to push the pocket and stay in the their lanes. It worked damn well too.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 12:38 PM

-O-Line is atrocious which is causing Ryan to throw some suicide balls, speed up his progressions, pretty much makes everything look hurried on O.

-The playcalling of early runs so often allow opposing D's to stack the box early. So our gains are minimal. This allows them to tee up on our suspect o-line because they know the pass is coming.

-Our D is built to play well against second reaction play quarterbacks. Mahomes, Rodgers are guys we usually play well against. They don't tend to pull the trigger immediately and like to extend plays in the pocket before throwing. Generally, our D feasts on these type of QB's. I can't believe Andy Reid didn't scheme up a quit hitting passing gameplan for us. If he watched Mills and Lawrence, they had free completions every single snap if they got the ball out on a 2 step drop or under 2 seconds.

This is why we struggle so much against pedestrian QB's and often make them look like pro-bowlers. Our D' and the cushion that our corners play on a consistent basis is designed to gift the easy 5-7 yards and tighten up as the field gets shorter. The problem is, most QB's are not greedy or talented enough to NOT take those yards- ala Mills and Lawrence- it's realistically the only thing they can accomplish. Mahomes is so confident in his abilities to extend plays that it oddly masks a lot of our deficiencies on D. The league changed to defending Herbert and Mahomes with a soft shell look, forcing those guys to patient dunk their way into wins and be efficient. We are damn lucky that Mahomes did not have his most efficient day, especially considering out team sack total.

I will wait and see if we can adapt our D to stopping a passer like Tannehill next week. I want to see if we can jam up the short and intermediate passing game and still get to the QB- only then will I buy into us having a legit defensive unit.

Overall a good team win, albeit one that came with a bit of luck and on the heels of a solid special teams effort. I don't think Ryan will bring us a Superbowl (in fact we would be lucky to win a playoff game with him as our QB), but I think he will be a good bridge to develop our young receivers and potentially a young signal caller when we draft one (and we absolutely need to) in the spring. Ryan brings too much from a cerebral standpoint to not keep around regardless- we are paying for his services so we might as well use them.
Random thoughts:
-Can we get anything for Ryan Kelly in a trade?
-Was paying Q worth it? At least one 20 million dollar player should bring our O-line out of the gutter, am I right? I also wish we had the luxury of benching Smith.
-Is Smith is the problem with his play or if Pinter's stench really impacting him to this level or both? O-line experts, holla!
-Is having JT on our squad going to bring us to the promise land? Could we land a 1st for him right now even though he is fantastic? Is he so popular that such a move would have Colts fans aborting?
-Why didn't WE trade a 6th rounder or whatever the hell it was to Dallas for Amari Cooper? Damn, he would have fit nicely here.
-Just baptize Jelani Woods by fire from here on out. He cant be any worse that Moe or Granson. The snaps are what is valuable, and so is the confidence. Same with AP. These guys needs to be force fed the snaps going forward.
-The big Austrian needs to start at LT next game- not because he necessarily earned it- but because we need Pryor to replace Pinter and that combo works more than anything else at the moment.
-Cut Campbell, Cut Granson, Cut Ryan Kelly, Cut Banogu (now if possible), I am okay with cutting Kenny Moore, Tyquan Lewis. Clean some serious house this offseason and bring in more talent.
A SERIOUS re-alignment of roster construction is what this team clearly needs going into next season.
The Following User Says Thank You to MeSayDayo For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 01:50 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSayDayo View Post
-Our D is built to play well against second reaction play quarterbacks. Mahomes, Rodgers are guys we usually play well against. They don't tend to pull the trigger immediately and like to extend plays in the pocket before throwing. Generally, our D feasts on these type of QB's. I can't believe Andy Reid didn't scheme up a quit hitting passing gameplan for us. If he watched Mills and Lawrence, they had free completions every single snap if they got the ball out on a 2 step drop or under 2 seconds.

This is why we struggle so much against pedestrian QB's and often make them look like pro-bowlers. Our D' and the cushion that our corners play on a consistent basis is designed to gift the easy 5-7 yards and tighten up as the field gets shorter. The problem is, most QB's are not greedy or talented enough to NOT take those yards- ala Mills and Lawrence- it's realistically the only thing they can accomplish. Mahomes is so confident in his abilities to extend plays that it oddly masks a lot of our deficiencies on D. The league changed to defending Herbert and Mahomes with a soft shell look, forcing those guys to patient dunk their way into wins and be efficient. We are damn lucky that Mahomes did not have his most efficient day, especially considering out team sack total.
It's an interesting point. I still haven't rewatched, but how much more press did we play yesterday? Also, the personnel decisions were interesting. How much impact did benching Nick Cross for Rodney McLeod and also putting Isaiah Rodgers out there have?

Whatever it was, Mahomes completed 57% a week after Lawrence hit nearly 85%.

Also, the pass-rush might not have the sacks to show for it, but they pressured Mahomes well yesterday. And they did it the unselfish way that a lot of people don't tend to notice.

A couple weeks ago, McAfee had Pagano on the show doing a 45-minute real-ish mock film study over KC and LAC. Darius Butler was one of the guys sitting watching. He had them rewind a play so he could point out and bitch about Joey Bosa screaming upfield to get the sack and allowing Mahomes to break contain and make a play like he does.

Butler and Pagano both said something like, "Don't be selfish on the rush." I think that could apply to yesterday with a good rush but only one sack. Of course Mahomes is pretty athletic and has a knack for throwing the ball away in time, too.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:23 PM

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:

colts are extremely lucky to get that win with how the line played. just disgusting football.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (09-26-2022), ChoppedWood (09-26-2022), Dewey 5 (09-26-2022), Hoopsdoc (10-01-2022), Racehorse (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 06:19 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
colts are extremely lucky to get that win with how the line played. just disgusting football.
They kept one of the best offenses from breaking out and running away with a W. The offense took advantage of the KC mistakes. It didnt need to be pretty, they got it done and thats what counts