ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-24-2021, 10:02 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
At what cost though?

I’m ok getting Buckner in his prime, but Stafford is hardly that and he’s taking a hell of a beating over the years I wouldn’t give them a 1st round pick for Stafford
I get that. Is your position that we should roll with a first round pick? If so, do you think we need to move up or do you believe the guy will be there at 21?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:12 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,610 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Thank god you are here to explain how you are always right.
You don't have to believe me, look at his numbers from 2002 and 2003 and watch those games, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
In the situation the Colts find themselves in it would be foolish to put your hopes on a late first round rookie qb. Yeah you might get lucky but you cannot let that guy be your best option. Not if you have designs on playoff wins. Your chance of hitting on a better than average qb outside of the top half of the first round are slim. Stafford is available. Don't screw around. Just get him.
Considering my feeling is that the Colts best option at 21 will be Kyle Trask, I agree with this as long as the price isn't too high.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
You don't have to believe me, look at his numbers from 2002 and 2003 and watch those games, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Are you really this dumb? Go look up sarcasm
Old 01-24-2021, 10:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
That really sounds like people who are relying on school pedigree and haven't really watched him play. Also remember Russell Wilson wasn't a first rounder to most NFL front offices because he was 5'11" and played at Wisconsin, who had never really produced an NFL QB. Watch Mac Jones throw a fade, a deep post, etc. When you find it on film (and it won't be that hard to find), go back and watch it again but watch for two specific things: 1) when does he start to throw the ball, and 2) when is the ball out? Watch the WR-DB matchup specifically in relation to this. Because what you're going to see (because it's what I saw on every throw like that over 8 or so games of film) is that at the exact moment the DB turns to run with the WR, Jones throws the ball. That's NFL level anticipation, and something AJ McCarron never showed.

Tua was a rookie last year and relied a lot more on athleticism to succeed than Mac Jones does. All I know is I wouldn't be surprised to see Darth Hoodie or Tomlin pull the trigger on him and all of us regret that for the next decade plus.
GM's and their staffs don't rely on school pedigree only, that's insane. They wouldn't be employed for long if they did.

Just a few QB's drafted in the 1st round from non pedigree schools, I am sure there is a shit load more.

Mahomes - Texas Tech
Matt Ryan - Boston College
Aaron Rodgers - Cal
Phillip Rivers - North Carolina State
Rottenberger - Miami (OH)

Here are the 1st round picks from 2019 and 2020, all pretty much non pedigree schools.

Josh Allen - Wyoming
Kyler Murry - Oklahoma
Lamar Jackson - Louisville
Joe Burrow -LSU
Haskins - Ohio State
Daniel Jones - Duke
Goff - Cal
Wentz - North Dakota State
Tannehill -Texas A&M
Tua - Alabama
Herbert - Oregon
Love - Utah State

One last point, I'm betting that I won't ever regret not drafting Mac Jones.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,610 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
GM's and their staffs don't rely on school pedigree only, that's insane. They wouldn't be employed for long if they did.

Just a few QB's drafted in the 1st round from non pedigree schools, I am sure there is a shit load more.

Mahomes - Texas Tech
Aaron Rodgers - Cal

Here are the 1st round picks from 2019 and 2020, all pretty much non pedigree schools.

Josh Allen - Wyoming
Kyler Murry - Oklahoma
Joe Burrow -LSU
Haskins - Ohio State
Daniel Jones - Duke
Goff - Cal
Tannehill -Texas A&M
Tua - Alabama
Herbert - Oregon
Love - Utah State

I doubt most GMs have watched much scouting film at all at this point in the year. We've literally seen a good chunk of the Colts' draft process over the last two years, the process includes the entire scouting and coaching staffs watching prospects together and making arguments for and against. It seemed like in those meetings, at least on what we were allowed to see, the area scouts were knowledgeable on the players, and Ballard and Dodds were challenging their opinions on the spot based on the film they were watching. Walter Football is also known to be fed misinformation at times. Also, I'm well aware that school pedigree doesn't affect the success of individual prospects, I made that argument earlier in this thread.

That said, I don't understand how someone could watch 2020 Mac Jones and not see a first round pick, especially if they watched 2019 Jordan Love or 2019 Justin Herbert and saw a first round pick. Both Herbert and Love had warts in their game that Jones doesn't. They both have certain strengths he lacks as well, but overall I would grade 2020 Mac Jones higher than either of them.

Finally, of course neither you nor I will regret not drafting Mac Jones personally. That said, if the Cheaters or Steelers draft him, and he's their franchise QB for the next 10-15 years where they have success, we'll probably look back on that and wonder if there was a way for the Colts to get him.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:32 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post

Mahomes - Texas Tech
Aaron Rodgers - Cal

Josh Allen - Wyoming
Kyler Murry - Oklahoma
Joe Burrow -LSU
Haskins - Ohio State
Daniel Jones - Duke
Goff - Cal
Tannehill -Texas A&M
Tua - Alabama
Herbert - Oregon
Love - Utah State

Mayfield is also from Oklahoma.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-24-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 03:59 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,134 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I get that. Is your position that we should roll with a first round pick? If so, do you think we need to move up or do you believe the guy will be there at 21?
I think Mac Jones will be there, draft him and let him and Eason battle it out for the job
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (01-26-2021), Oldcolt (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 04:24 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,615 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
I think Mac Jones will be there, draft him and let him and Eason battle it out for the job
I’m pretty sure he will be. Lack of athleticism will hurt him. But it’s still early in the draft processs. Long way to go. Hopefully there is a combine.

It’s also senior bowl week. This will be a more important senior bowl than usual bc of covid.

A sleeper QB to keep an eye on is Felipe Frank’s of Arkansas. A transfer from Florida.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/i...rrated-players

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-25-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:36 PM

@LockedOnColts
"With his relationship with previous owner Martha Firestone Ford + her daughter, current owner Sheila Ford Hamp, I think they want to take care of him. They want to make him happy. They love him."

@DerySpeaks believes if Stafford has a preferred team, Detroit will oblige. #Colts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
Puck (01-25-2021), Spike (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
@LockedOnColts
"With his relationship with previous owner Martha Firestone Ford + her daughter, current owner Sheila Ford Hamp, I think they want to take care of him. They want to make him happy. They love him."

@DerySpeaks believes if Stafford has a preferred team, Detroit will oblige. #Colts
I really hope this happens!!!!!
Coltsalr (01-26-2021)