ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 12:20 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
No way Colts are more complete than the Saints And once again Lions are gonna have a say in this
Saints have a later draft pick and are in the same conference. Also, what positions do you think the Saints are better than the Colts at?
Old 01-26-2021, 12:34 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Saints have a later draft pick and are in the same conference. Also, what positions do you think the Saints are better than the Colts at?
All skill positions on offense except offensive line, not to mention the coaching difference. Who would you rather play for Sean Payton or Reich?
Old 01-26-2021, 12:54 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
All skill positions on offense except offensive line, not to mention the coaching difference. Who would you rather play for Sean Payton or Reich?
I'd rate the coaching about equal, honestly. Reich has done a lot with a little in 3 years. Also, I understand Kamara is great, but the Colts trio of Taylor, Hines, and Wilkins is more diverse and better overall than the Saints RB group. And TEs? Doyle and Alie-Cox beats what the Saints have. The Saints definitely have a better WR corps, but that's it. And we haven't even brought up defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
The Niners could just cut Garoppolo. They structured his contract in a way that there is very little dead cap money if he is cut in the final 2 years of his deal. Like $2.8MM dead cap this year, $1.4MM dead cap in 2022. They would add $24-25 million to their cap space in 2021 and 2022 if they cut him.
You are correct. The 49ers could be a player for Stafford. Still not as much cap space as us, though, and I don't think the team that acquires him will get his current contract. They'll be a renegotiation that gives Stafford more money than that (though maybe in future years). And remember, the 49ers couldn't afford Buckner last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:24 AM

Quote:
The Saints are also currently more than $112M over next year's salary cap.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-orleans-saints/
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:06 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The Saints are also currently more than $112M over next year's salary cap.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-orleans-saints/
Its all monopoly $$, half of that is brees
Old 01-26-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Its all monopoly $$, half of that is brees
Brees is scheduled to count $36.1M against the Saints' cap next year. Even if he retires, he'll still count $22.65M against the cap, so he can only provide $13.5M in cap relief. This will still leave the Saints about $100M over the cap.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Brees is scheduled to count $36.1M against the Saints' cap next year. Even if he retires, he'll still count $22.65M against the cap, so he can only provide $13.5M in cap relief. This will still leave the Saints about $100M over the cap.
There are two Saints the Colts could use. CB Lattimore and LT Terron Armstead. Both of these guys could be traded and save the Saints mucho dinero. And, since they're going to lose them to FA soon enough, why not get something for them? Might not cost that much since they may be lost to free agency soon enough.
Puck (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 11:12 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
I'd rate the coaching about equal, honestly. Reich has done a lot with a little in 3 years. Also, I understand Kamara is great, but the Colts trio of Taylor, Hines, and Wilkins is more diverse and better overall than the Saints RB group. And TEs? Doyle and Alie-Cox beats what the Saints have. The Saints definitely have a better WR corps, but that's it. And we haven't even brought up defense.
I wouldn’t give up a first for Stafford, that’s too much for an aging beat up guy
Old 01-26-2021, 12:08 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Al Breer had a Stafford / Indy write-up in his latest SI column. I excerpted the comments below; you can click on the link if you want to read the entire article.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/25/mm...wl-daily-cover

Quote:
Indianapolis seems like the natural landing spot for Stafford. The question, then, becomes whether GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich would see Stafford as a Band-Aid or more than that. The team went with a Band-Aid last year, in Rivers, after taking a shot with Jacoby Brissett in 2019 (and that was after Jimmy Garoppolo’s name briefly came up in the DeForest Buckner trade talks with San Francisco). Might they want to fix the position once and for all? I think that would be preferable. You could point to the Buckner trade as an example of Ballard being aggressive in the way he’d have to be on Stafford—but Buckner’s 26 and a definite long-term cornerstone. My guess would be that is what Ballard’s looking for. Maybe Stafford is that. Or maybe a big move up in the draft gets him there. Remember, Ballard was part of the vetting of Mahomes in Kansas City and saw the benefit of going all in on a young player at the position and dropping him into a readymade situation. Only he knows if there’s a quarterback in this year’s draft class that he sees like the Chiefs’ folks saw Mahomes in 2017. But if there is one, I’d bet he wouldn’t be scared to move way up the draft board, get a cost-controlled young passer and use the leftover cap space to start paying the guys they’ve been building around (like Quenton Nelson and Darius Leonard).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-26-2021), Chaka (01-26-2021)