ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,681 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
On the other hand, the Broncos went for broke in free agency and won the Super Bowl. The Rams went for broke and had Goff not shit the bed they’d also be (mercifully) Super Bowl champs right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The Broncos and Rams also drafted well in those time frames. Both teams, despite adding significantly in free agency, still had mostly drafted starters. Both teams started with good core pieces and supplemented that with free agents. Jacksonville built their core through free agency, which is why their run was so short and fell apart so quickly.
But the Jags have drafted well previously also. Jalen Ramsey is their best player, Myles Jack, Smith, Fournette, Ronnie Harrison I think will be good, etc. They were not just built through FA. Their biggest problem is not hitting on a QB and not handling success well. If they had drafted Derek Carr instead of Bortles they might have a Superbowl now. They should not have given Bortles that huge contract.

It would be one thing if signing FA's to push over the top never works, but it does sometimes. So you can't say that it cannot work. The Steelers pretty much only build through the draft, they are in the conversation usually but they get beat by the pats just like everyone else, and right now they are imploding.

I think the point is that there is no one sure way to build a team. Think the Broncos regret signing those players? Or the Rams? Or the pats? We didn't win a Superbowl till that defense came together and Booger McFarlane (FA) solidified the interior of that D.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (03-08-2019), Luck4Reich (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Jags have released DT Malik Jackson, S Tashaun Gipson, RT Jermey Parnell, LS Carson Tinker and RB Carlos Hyde.

Trying to get enough cap space to sign Foles I imagine ???

They did re-sign ex-Colt long snapper Matt Overton
That's probably their upcoming draft. Ed Oliver at 7. A safety or tackle in the second. A RB in the third.

I would pass on Jackson. He wasn’t that great for them. Let Wade Phillips pick him up. He played great for Philips.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 03-08-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,642 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
But the Jags have drafted well previously also. Jalen Ramsey is their best player, Myles Jack, Smith, Fournette, Ronnie Harrison I think will be good, etc. They were not just built through FA. Their biggest problem is not hitting on a QB and not handling success well. If they had drafted Derek Carr instead of Bortles they might have a Superbowl now. They should not have given Bortles that huge contract.

It would be one thing if signing FA's to push over the top never works, but it does sometimes. So you can't say that it cannot work. The Steelers pretty much only build through the draft, they are in the conversation usually but they get beat by the pats just like everyone else, and right now they are imploding.

I think the point is that there is no one sure way to build a team. Think the Broncos regret signing those players? Or the Rams? Or the pats? We didn't win a Superbowl till that defense came together and Booger McFarlane (FA) solidified the interior of that D.
McFarland was a trade. The biggest FA of the Polian era was Corey Simon, but he ended up with knee problems, which were IMO due to him letting himself get out of shape.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
So if they win the Superbowl, they still should not have done it?
That would mean it turned out well for them - but not necessarily that it was a smart move.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:02 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
That would mean it turned out well for them - but not necessarily that it was a smart move.
Sigh

Let me rephrase it. Would you, Chaka, send your team into cap hell for a few seasons in the future, if your window was about to close and you knew you could win a Superbowl.

Just a yes or no, would you do it? I'm asking what you would do.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
McFarland was a trade. The biggest FA of the Polian era was Corey Simon, but he ended up with knee problems, which were IMO due to him letting himself get out of shape.
Didn't Simon have some weird sickness? Yeah, they tried to address DT several ways. Quitcock, Moala. Finally took a trade to do it, so draft capital instead of straight up money.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Sigh

Let me rephrase it. Would you, Chaka, send your team into cap hell for a few seasons in the future, if your window was about to close and you knew you could win a Superbowl.

Just a yes or no, would you do it? I'm asking what you would do.
I'm not sure why this is hard to say yes to.... 31 teams every year dont Win the SB... quite a few Have NEVER won a SB. So hell yes... do what it takes to win one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (03-10-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:

If they had landed a competant QB. Would be speaking differently about them. Still hate em but they would have had a lot more success.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:28 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
That's probably their upcoming draft. Ed Oliver at 7. A safety or tackle in the second. A RB in the third.

I would pass on Jackson. He wasn’t that great for them. Let Wade Phillips pick him up. He played great for Philips.
I don’t think that’s the route they take. I think they add Foles and stock up on receiving options in Rd 1 & 2. Maybe Metcalf and one of Fant or Hockenson if they drop.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck View Post
If they had landed a competant QB. Would be speaking differently about them. Still hate em but they would have had a lot more success.
They are punks, except Cambell, I still get steamed of how Ramsey throat punched Hilton last season. But they are a dominant defense and kicked our ass last game. With Nick Foles and some proper leadership, they could be scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I don’t think that’s the route they take. I think they add Foles and stock up on receiving options in Rd 1 & 2. Maybe Metcalf and one of Fant or Hockenson if they drop.
That would be interesting. I thought about WR, but Fant or Hockenson and a WR. Depends what Coughlin thinks they need most. They did draft Bryan (DT) last year and Chalk (WR). Maybe a TE is what they need. Hockenson would be a good blocker and catcher for them.