ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-19-2022, 11:05 AM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Competitive advantages of not wasting cap dollars is a good reason for me.
Exactly. It'd be much better for the Colts to trade Wentz rather than just cut him b/c Ballard could put the $15M in dead money we'd be paying Wentz towards filling some of the glaring holes this team has.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:45 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Objectively speaking Ballard is probably around the NFL average. He drafts pretty well, manages the cap well, and has made some good trades. On the other hand he has completely ignores glaring team needs and isn't good at proactively replacing players at super important positions (AC, TY, etc.). He also seems to put more much more importance on physical traits rather than production, which has led to some big misses with early round draft picks.

He's also gotten a pretty big pass on things b/c the guy he replaced was incompetent (that goes for Frank as well).

If we have another offseason or 2 of completely ignoring team needs then it might be time to move on.
Ignoring team needs? There is a pro bowler at every level of the D. There are 2-3 all pro O linemen, the best Rb in the league and a Wr on the verge of being something special.

The only big problem is the lack of a QB. Ballard has checked every box, except that one. The colts fucked up, they should have tanked a season to get a better draft position.

Is there a college player who could be drafted and play right now for the Colts? That or ask Brady if he wants to play? Give up picks this year and next for —————— or a vet. Thats about the only thing I can see that will get them over the hump
Old 02-19-2022, 11:29 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Ignoring team needs? There is a pro bowler at every level of the D. There are 2-3 all pro O linemen, the best Rb in the league and a Wr on the verge of being something special.

The only big problem is the lack of a QB. Ballard has checked every box, except that one. The colts fucked up, they should have tanked a season to get a better draft position.

Is there a college player who could be drafted and play right now for the Colts? That or ask Brady if he wants to play? Give up picks this year and next for —————— or a vet. Thats about the only thing I can see that will get them over the hump
All those things you say in the beginning paragraph, and we sipped fruity drinks on the beach while others played the last 5 weeks. That smells like a crappy coach to me.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:53 AM

Quote:

Ballard has checked every box ……. except QB, DE, and LT. The three most important positions to winning. That’s without getting into the debate about whether or not the WR corp is lacking (I think it is). Hopefully DE is checked now, but that remains to be seen and is far from certain. He went into the season with no DE on the roster with double digit career sacks. I honestly haven’t been able to verify it, but I have to believe the number of teams that have done that and did anything in the post season is pretty small. Especially when you consider that the guy he counted on to improve it had all of 11.5 sacks in 4 college seasons. That’s not a knock on Paye, he’s clearly talented. But that in no way addressed a major need for the season.

I can make an argument to defend most of Ballard’s individual decisions (even those I disagree with)but ultimately he is what his record says. And his methods have led to a team with holes at some of the most critical positions. I don’t necessarily blame him for the QB position, but he’s in danger of wasting all of the good things he has done due to his decisions at the three big positions.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
All those things you say in the beginning paragraph, and we sipped fruity drinks on the beach while others played the last 5 weeks. That smells like a crappy coach to me.
If I told you a team was on its 5th different starting QB in 5 years, lacked a pass rush, and had issues at LT would you assume it was a successful team?
Old 02-20-2022, 09:01 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Ballard has checked every box ……. except QB, DE, and LT. The three most important positions to winning. That’s without getting into the debate about whether or not the WR corp is lacking (I think it is). Hopefully DE is checked now, but that remains to be seen and is far from certain. He went into the season with no DE on the roster with double digit career sacks. I honestly haven’t been able to verify it, but I have to believe the number of teams that have done that and did anything in the post season is pretty small. Especially when you consider that the guy he counted on to improve it had all of 11.5 sacks in 4 college seasons. That’s not a knock on Paye, he’s clearly talented. But that in no way addressed a major need for the season.

I can make an argument to defend most of Ballard’s individual decisions (even those I disagree with)but ultimately he is what his record says. And his methods have led to a team with holes at some of the most critical positions. I don’t necessarily blame him for the QB position, but he’s in danger of wasting all of the good things he has done due to his decisions at the three big positions.
He drafted two DEs last draft. Both look pretty good. Fisher was hurt most of the year, that was a wiff. We know the Qb drama since Luck retired, and maybe he should have sold the future for Stafford. Thats in the past. Do you want kurk cousins? Thats about all that is out there. Or Brady.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:09 AM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post

We have and have had way more problems than just QB:

Our pass rush has sucked for years and was in an even bigger hole going into '21 after we let Denico Autry and Justin Houston walk. So what does Ballard do about it? He drafts 2 projects, one of which wasn't going to play until the middle of the season at the earliest. Maybe Paye and Dayo might actually work out, but there was really no chance that they would be able to provide the glaring help needed in '21.

The writing was clearly on the wall a couple of years ago that AC was going to hang it up sooner rather than later, but Ballard did squat to backfill him or build depth at LT to help transition until a long term replacement could be found. We were lucky that Fisher was on the market after his injury in the '20 AFCCG, and unfortunately we found out why he was available.

Outside of MPJ our WRs are all below average at best (even TY as father time and his injury history has caught up with him). Our WR corps needed upgraded at least at WR2 going into '21, but all Ballard did was draft a late round project. Clear failure on Ballard's part that we're not better at WR across the board.

Some other lessor needs that went unaddressed going into '21:

After letting Burton walk we needed a pass catching 3rd TE. Ballard again went with a rookie project. We're in even worse shape now as Doyle is probably going to hang it up and MAC regressed big time this year.

Our secondary depth, especially at safey was pretty bad going into the year. Losing Blackmon was a huge blow, but it could have been softened if weren't relying on ageing journeyman brought in off the street and thrown into the startling lineup. Also, Ballard still needs to address CB1 (or 2) having only band aided it the past 2 off seasons with 1 year contracts for Rhodes.

Obviously you can't expect all team needs to get addressed in an off season (or even 2), but the huge gaping holes in the top 3 team needs I listed are huge failures on Ballard's part.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 02-20-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:42 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
He drafted two DEs last draft. Both look pretty good. Fisher was hurt most of the year, that was a wiff. We know the Qb drama since Luck retired, and maybe he should have sold the future for Stafford. Thats in the past. Do you want kurk cousins? Thats about all that is out there. Or Brady.
Kirk Cousins would be an upgrade in my opinion...the guy is accurate and has a lot of experience.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:04 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Reich had a better record BEFORE Wentz showed up. And Reich wanted him, he was in on that decision. The HC is not exempt from the season results. If the Colts miss the playoffs, Irsay may clean sweep the GM, And HC.

I’m not giving anyone a pass. Ive made other posts that the entire organization is responsible for last season, including Irsay.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
apballin (02-20-2022), Colts And Orioles (02-20-2022), Dewey 5 (02-20-2022), Oldcolt (02-20-2022), Racehorse (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:05 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
Kirk Cousins would be an upgrade in my opinion...the guy is accurate and has a lot of experience.
And how has he played in BIG games?