ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 07:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Interesting development. Makes me wonder what would motivate Castonzo to first float the idea of a retirement, and then decide to return, but only on a year-to-year basis. Trying to read the tea leaves here.

Maybe it's as simple as a desire to earn a few more bucks before retirement, but I have to think that the Colts made some sort of sales pitch to him to convince him to return. If so, what would that pitch have been? We're planning on drafting a developmental QB and you can block for him? I wouldn't think that would be too enticing unless he gets paid really well. We're planning on bringing in a proven vet QB and will have a legit shot at the playoffs? Seems more appealing.

So, do you think this moves the needle closer to the possibility of bringing in a vet QB? Or do you think it's more simple, and just about Castonzo not being ready to let the game go so deciding to play one more season?
He’s a very well educated man he has the ability to go and do almost anything he wants to do so I don’t believe it’s about money he had to decide if he was willing to take another couple years of a beating that offense lineman take on every play.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:07 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Interesting development. Makes me wonder what would motivate Castonzo to first float the idea of a retirement, and then decide to return, but only on a year-to-year basis. Trying to read the tea leaves here.

Maybe it's as simple as a desire to earn a few more bucks before retirement, but I have to think that the Colts made some sort of sales pitch to him to convince him to return. If so, what would that pitch have been? We're planning on drafting a developmental QB and you can block for him? I wouldn't think that would be too enticing unless he gets paid really well. We're planning on bringing in a proven vet QB and will have a legit shot at the playoffs? Seems more appealing.

So, do you think this moves the needle closer to the possibility of bringing in a vet QB? Or do you think it's more simple, and just about Castonzo not being ready to let the game go so deciding to play one more season?

Great point and question.... it's not unrealistic to think he considered retirement if chances of winning a SB was far off in his mind. Maybe he was convinced otherwise.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:

Just my opinion

Last year Castonzo's total contract was worth $11,050,000 if they sign him he will ask for over the $16,020,000 OL Franchise tag amount, if not signed and Colts tag him for $16,020,000 either way a nice farewell retirement plan.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:43 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I like Smith there. I think he did a good job. I would rather upgrade the LG position which is easier to do than find a RT.
What is your issue with Big Q?
Dewey 5 (02-25-2020), Luck4Reich (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
What is your issue with Big Q?
Haha. So overrated. If he was that good we shouldn’t even need a tackle. He should just block the whole left side, blitzes included.

So obviously I meant RG.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (02-25-2020), Indiana V2 (02-25-2020), Ironshaft (02-26-2020), nate505 (02-25-2020), smitty46953 (02-25-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM

I am glad that AC is returning. Our great O-Line from 2019 will continue.

However, with Haeg heading to free agency (I believe that he is good enough that someone will pay him low end starter money) and Clark being no more than just okay, I still want an OT with one of our top three picks (Rounds 1 and 2) in 2020.

We need to rebuild our quality depth on the O-line with Haeg departing and prepare that AC will depart in the near future (1 or 2 years from now).

As an added bonus, we could see if the rookie would be ready to play this year which would add competition to RG Glowinski where he will either rise to the occasion and retain his starting spot (play like he did in 2019) or become somewhat high paid depth on the inside if supplanted by either the rookie or by Smith kicking inside with the rookie playing RT.

I like the look of this:

LT Castonzo (1st round pick)
LG Nelson (1st round pick)
OC Kelly (1st round pick)
RG Smith (2nd round pick)
RT Rookie (1st/2nd round pick)

Interior Depth: Glowinski (4th round pick)
OT Depth: Smith
Developmental Depth: Lower round 2020 rookie (4th/5th/6th round pick)

After those seven, then whichever UDFA/street free agent the team likes for numbers 8/9/10 on the active / practice squad.

Keep the O-Line strong; that is one of the drive engines to a top offense.

Last edited by Ironshaft; 02-26-2020 at 09:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (02-26-2020), Spike (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

There are some good OT's in this draft.