ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-16-2021, 08:12 PM

Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I can't see Ballard drafting Jaycee Horn. Maybe Newsome, but not over any of the 5 names I posted earlier. Remember Ballard is a big believer in football being won in the trenches.
Plus Horn is not a willing tackler in the running game.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I don't like Darrisaw's tape. He fears the speed rush and immediately kicks out to his left.

He'll get beat inside a lot doing the in the NFL.
That's why I have Darrisaw below Jenkins. I think Darrisaw will be a quality starting LT, but for the reason you mentioned, among many others, I think Jenkins will be better.

Quote:
That's exactly why Ballard won't draft him. He is a terrible scheme fit.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
I can't see Ballard drafting Jaycee Horn. Maybe Newsome, but not over any of the 5 names I posted earlier. Remember Ballard is a big believer in football being won in the trenches.
There is also Caleb Farley, and in the second Asante Samuel Jr. Ballard is also a believer in analytics. And teams played more dime defense last year than base defense for the first time ever. Nickle is the new base defense. You need more talented DBs on the field than ever before.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-16-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:44 PM
Post whore

Quote:
He is a willing tackler, he’s just a bad tackler. He puts his head down, doesn’t wrap up or drive his feet.

He does grab a lot though in coverage. And I wonder if he will get away with that in the pros.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-16-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:07 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
There is also Caleb Farley, and in the second Asante Samuel Jr. Ballard is also a believer in analytics. And teams played more dime defense last year than base defense for the first time ever. Nickle is the new base defense. You need more talented DBs on the field than ever before.
Farley and Surtain will be gone by 21. I get that DBs are becoming more important than ever, but I'd be surprised to see Ballard draft a DB at 21 or 54. If he trades down? Sure. If he picks up a 3, I could even see him going there on Day 2, but I think he addresses Edge and LT before anything else in this draft. He also comes from organizational philosophies that tend to prioritize finding undervalued ballhawks. With the Bears, he helped them bring in Tillman and Vasher. In KC, he was part of the front office that drafted Marcus Peters. I see Ballard being more likely to take a Shakur Brown (in Round 4) than a Jaycee Horn (in Round 1).

Quote:
He is a willing tackler, he’s just a bad tackler. He puts his head down, doesn’t wrap up or drive his feet.

He does grab a lot though in coverage. And I wonder if he will get away with that in the pros.
So you're getting Rock Ya-Sin, but a worse tackler? Pass.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:43 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Farley and Surtain will be gone by 21. I get that DBs are becoming more important than ever, but I'd be surprised to see Ballard draft a DB at 21 or 54. If he trades down? Sure. If he picks up a 3, I could even see him going there on Day 2, but I think he addresses Edge and LT before anything else in this draft. He also comes from organizational philosophies that tend to prioritize finding undervalued ballhawks. With the Bears, he helped them bring in Tillman and Vasher. In KC, he was part of the front office that drafted Marcus Peters. I see Ballard being more likely to take a Shakur Brown (in Round 4) than a Jaycee Horn (in Round 1).

So you're getting Rock Ya-Sin, but a worse tackler? Pass.
I’ve seen Farley go after Newsome in most mocks. Surtain will be the first CB off the board. I think all the edge prospects are projects, the CB’s are better group at the top this year. He’s spent high draft capital on two corners already.

So you’re saying Jaycee Horn is like Rock ya sin. Who they drafted and see as a scheme fit. Ok

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-17-2021 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:14 AM
Post whore

Quote:
I’ve seen Farley go after Newsome in most mocks. Surtain will be the first CB off the board. I think all the edge prospects are projects, the CB’s are better group at the top this year. He’s spent high draft capital on two corners already.

So you’re saying Jaycee Horn is like Rock ya sin. Who they drafted and see as a scheme fit. Ok
I don't see Ojulari or Phillips as projects. I think either of those two come in and start Day 1 for you, and I think Phillips is a Top 15 pick without the concussion history. I would agree that CB is a better overall group in this draft at the top, but I would argue that at 21, you're looking at CB3 or CB4 vs. EDGE1, and I'd argue EDGE1 is better than CB3 in this draft.

I haven't really watched Horn, so I don't have much of an opinion on him. I was going off of you saying he gets grabby to point out that that is Ya-Sin's biggest flaw at present, then adding to that that Horn is a bad tackler, which is one of the strong points of Ya-Sin's game. In other words, Horn is a bad scheme fit because he can't tackle, and he brings one of the worst traits of Ya-Sin which is keeping Ya-Sin from reaching his potential. That's why I say pass.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:09 PM
Post whore

Quote:
I don't see Ojulari or Phillips as projects. I think either of those two come in and start Day 1 for you, and I think Phillips is a Top 15 pick without the concussion history. I would agree that CB is a better overall group in this draft at the top, but I would argue that at 21, you're looking at CB3 or CB4 vs. EDGE1, and I'd argue EDGE1 is better than CB3 in this draft.

I haven't really watched Horn, so I don't have much of an opinion on him. I was going off of you saying he gets grabby to point out that that is Ya-Sin's biggest flaw at present, then adding to that that Horn is a bad tackler, which is one of the strong points of Ya-Sin's game. In other words, Horn is a bad scheme fit because he can't tackle, and he brings one of the worst traits of Ya-Sin which is keeping Ya-Sin from reaching his potential. That's why I say pass.
He is best as a press off man corner. Think Richard Sherman at the line, and similar to Sherman in a lot of ways actually. He would probably do well initially in a man heavy defense, but I think he can play zone as well. But he is most disruptive when receivers are trying to get into their routes. He is the son of Saints WR Joe Horn. He is grabby, but the difference between he and Sin is Rock grabs because he gets in trouble and doesn’t have the make up speed to get out of it, Horn does. Also Rock had a crappy RAS at 6-7 I think, Horn is a 10 I believe. I think he would be a very good match for us.

I don’t see Olujari being drafted by us. We could have signed Yannick Ngakoue who is similar in build and style and already produces in the league. But we didn’t try to sign anyone except Houston. I like Phillips but he has some question marks and I don’t see a lot of separation from the pack of other top edge athletes but questionable production. We already have three projects who are on the edge of being busts. I don’t see them drafting another athletic project with their first.

You may be looking at CB2-CB4. But the same could be said for DE, and I think the CB group at the top is better than the Pass rush group this year. But unlike LT and DE, CB starts to falls off after those top guys. If the LT they like is not there, I can see them trading down to get that 3rd draft pick back somehow, or I see them grabbing a CB and LT in the second. CB because I’m not sure Rock is gonna work out and every defense is now playing nickle and dime more than ever before.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:37 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts
Default Draft 2021

^^^ I got the sense we didnt go after those DL free agents mostly due to the contracts that would come with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2021, 03:04 PM
Post whore

Quote:
He is best as a press off man corner. Think Richard Sherman at the line, and similar to Sherman in a lot of ways actually. He would probably do well initially in a man heavy defense, but I think he can play zone as well. But he is most disruptive when receivers are trying to get into their routes. He is the son of Saints WR Joe Horn. He is grabby, but the difference between he and Sin is Rock grabs because he gets in trouble and doesn’t have the make up speed to get out of it, Horn does. Also Rock had a crappy RAS at 6-7 I think, Horn is a 10 I believe. I think he would be a very good match for us.

I don’t see Olujari being drafted by us. We could have signed Yannick Ngakoue who is similar in build and style and already produces in the league. But we didn’t try to sign anyone except Houston. I like Phillips but he has some question marks and I don’t see a lot of separation from the pack of other top edge athletes but questionable production. We already have three projects who are on the edge of being busts. I don’t see them drafting another athletic project with their first.

You may be looking at CB2-CB4. But the same could be said for DE, and I think the CB group at the top is better than the Pass rush group this year. But unlike LT and DE, CB starts to falls off after those top guys. If the LT they like is not there, I can see them trading down to get that 3rd draft pick back somehow, or I see them grabbing a CB and LT in the second. CB because I’m not sure Rock is gonna work out and every defense is now playing nickle and dime more than ever before.
I know Horn has good bloodlines, and I know he's an excellent cover CB. I also know Ballard values physicality and tackling ability from the CB position, and I don't know that Horn has that. I'm not even saying I would dislike having him on the team, just that I don't see Ballard pulling the trigger on him specifically. I also think it's a largely irrelevant discussion because Horn is incredibly likely to go Top 15.

Regarding Ojulari, given his HWS, alma mater, and production, I think a Justin Houston comp is much more apt than the Yannick Ngakoue one they put on him at the Athletic. That said, the Colts should have pursued Ngakoue, and IMO it would be a mistake to pass on Ojulari unless Slater or Jenkins is there. Regarding Phillips, I see a highly refined technically sound DE with athleticism that, in combination, will allow him to be a productive starter provided the medical team clears the Colts to draft him. IMO Phillips has a TJ Watt ceiling with a Denico Autry floor. That's a player I want on my team.

First round CB with no trade down is pretty much a nightmare scenario, and the same could be said for any position other than OT and EDGE at 21. That said, I think the recent resigning of T.J. Carrie combined with the earlier resigning of Xavier Rhodes indicates that CB is not a position they'll target early in the draft.