ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-27-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Reich made one mistake that appears to have been unforgivable to Irsay and a certain segment of the fan base - he believed He could fix Wentz. Ballard and Irsay get constant reasons or excuses for their failures at QB. Reich took the weight of all of their failures with his one failure. Colts fans will likely wish they had Reich back. Especially if Saturday “wins” the job.
A couple of things. Not only did he say that he could fix Wentz, but he persuaded the team to ship a first and a third round draft pick to Philly in order to acquire the Quarterback who, even the most blind observer could see, was irretrievably broken. The following year, he was at it, again, getting Ballard to ante up a 3rd round pick for Matt Ryan.

Between those two bozo’s, Jim Irsay shelled out the better part of $60 Million in hard, cold cash.

In addition, for whatever reason, he didn’t seem able to recruit and retain a high quality coaching staff. When Eberflus and Siriani left, they took the cream of the coaching staff with them. At the end of the day,you have to ask yourself if you want a head coach who can’t attract a better offensive coordinator than Marcus Brady?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-27-2023), ChoppedWood (01-27-2023), CletusPyle (01-27-2023), Racehorse (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 05:10 PM

Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,556 Posts

Quote:
Reich made one mistake that appears to have been unforgivable to Irsay and a certain segment of the fan base - he believed He could fix Wentz. Ballard and Irsay get constant reasons or excuses for their failures at QB. Reich took the weight of all of their failures with his one failure. Colts fans will likely wish they had Reich back. Especially if Saturday “wins” the job.
How much impact did he have on the decision to bring in Matt Ryan? I mean after Wentz and then Ryan, somebody's head had to roll...probably should have been two heads!
ChoppedWood (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 06:06 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
How much impact did he have on the decision to bring in Matt Ryan? I mean after Wentz and then Ryan, somebody's head had to roll...probably should have been two heads!
A lot of influence, Jimmy G and Baker Mayfield had injury concerns and probably wouldn’t have been ready for camp. Reich emphasized he wanted a QB that could participate in camp this year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (01-27-2023), rm1369 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
A lot of influence, Jimmy G and Baker Mayfield had injury concerns and probably wouldn’t have been ready for camp. Reich emphasized he wanted a QB that could participate in camp this year
Let’s skip past the idea that Reich is the GM. I don’t have any idea who or how much anyone advocated for Ryan. But I’ll go ahead and ask - which of those two should they have taken a shot with? The always broken Jimmy? Or the head case that is Mayfield? I’d argue that if the line hadn’t collapsed they could have won with Ryan. Either way it’s trying to find the best out of some less than ideal options. A situation they painted themselves in to with the constant punting at QB.

The issue with this team hasn’t been player development or in game coaching. It has been roster construction - lack of focus on key positions (WR, LT), failures at others (DE), a constant focus on development over winning, a general disregard for the value of mid level vets, and a degree of “fiscal responsibility” that puts the team at a disadvantage nearly every season. I’ve been complaining about it since Ballard’s second off season. Plenty of you pin the obvious consequences of Ballard’s philosophy on Reich. I guess we’ll agree on one thing - Reich shouldn’t be a GM.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
In addition, for whatever reason, he didn’t seem able to recruit and retain a high quality coaching staff. When Eberflus and Siriani left, they took the cream of the coaching staff with them. At the end of the day,you have to ask yourself if you want a head coach who can’t attract a better offensive coordinator than Marcus Brady?
So let me get this straight. He had two assistants hired away to be head coaches, yet one of your arguments is his inability to attract and retain a staff? Even knowing that Eberflus was inherited that’s a fucking laughable take.

But I get it - the team had great players that just weren’t properly coached. The outcome of the season had nothing to do with Ballard being Ballard with the OL. It’s pretty obvious it was strictly coaching considering how well they did under Jeff Saturday…..

Last edited by rm1369; 01-27-2023 at 08:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 09:13 PM

Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
Good for them. He's a solid HC in the league. His time just was up here though. Sometimes change is good for everyone.
I hope Reich convinces them that he can fix Darnold, so that they don't move up in the draft to take a QB.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 09:26 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Based on Reichs history, if Darnold is his starter, he will play as well or better than he ever has.
Which will be good enough for 6-11 and a lot of calls for the coach to be gone. Darnold is not good and sticking with him, well, time will tell...
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (01-28-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 10:22 PM

Thanked 1,901 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
So let me get this straight. He had two assistants hired away to be head coaches, yet one of your arguments is his inability to attract and retain a staff? Even knowing that Eberflus was inherited that’s a fucking laughable take.

But I get it - the team had great players that just weren’t properly coached. The outcome of the season had nothing to do with Ballard being Ballard with the OL. It’s pretty obvious it was strictly coaching considering how well they did under Jeff Saturday…..
I was just getting ready to post this. How in the hell are you gonna penalize Reich for losing two guys to head coaching positions? Fucking ridiculous.

And there’s no way of knowing how good Brady was. Literally NO ONE was going to be successful with that offensive line.

Brady was fired because Jim needed someone to blame for Ballards failure. When that didn’t work, he fired Reich and brought in Jeff Saturday. We all saw how that worked out. Historically bad team that also happened to be the laughingstock of the league.

Vince Lombardi himself would have won less than 5 games with a line that couldn’t run block OR pass block.

That shit is 100 percent on Ballard.

Last edited by Hoopsdoc; 01-27-2023 at 10:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
rm1369 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 10:23 PM

Thanked 1,901 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Which will be good enough for 6-11 and a lot of calls for the coach to be gone. Darnold is not good and sticking with him, well, time will tell...
That may be but Reich will get the absolute most out of him.

We know that much.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:56 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 623 Posts

I think with Reich getting hired that it saves Irsay a shit ton of money
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...g-on-his-feet/
The Following User Says Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-27-2023)