ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-14-2018, 11:33 AM

Default Bengals vs Ravens : Colts related?

I am surprised there are no comments on this game

I know its a dreaded Thursday nighter and no one really watches, but the Bengals, especially in the first half, looked great against the Ravens. 34-23 win after building a big half time lead. AJ GReen with three first half, almost 3 first quarter, TDs. Baltimore is traditionally a good D.

DOes this change the perception any of the COlts loss or performance 4 days before?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

I was thinking similarly. The Bengals could be better than expected.
I mean, Dalton isn't *that bad* and he has a weapon in AJ Green. And their defensive front is definitely one of the better ones in the league.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post

I know its a dreaded Thursday nighter and no one really watches, but the Bengals, especially in the first half, looked great against the Ravens. 34-23 win after building a big half time lead. AJ GReen with three first half, almost 3 first quarter, TDs. Baltimore is traditionally a good D.

DOes this change the perception any of the COlts loss or performance 4 days before?
I made a comment in the game thread (if four posts constitute a thread) about that, They dominated BALT for half the game.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Football isn't math so the transitive property doesn't necessarily apply. But starting 2-0 the way they have is pretty impressive. We'll know a lot more in 3 weeks. Given how well the Ravens played in game 1 of their season I was surprised to see the Bengals beat them convincingly. Like you said, built a lead, then put it away at the end rather than letting the Ravens back in.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post

No !!
Old 09-14-2018, 01:24 PM

I guess I take some comfort that it wasn’t just the Colts that allowed Dalton to show significantly better than I think he’s proven to be. I don’t think that changes the outlook for the Colts at all though. The offense will be top 10 and the D will be bottom 5.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:33 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Doesn’t change my perception of the colts. Maybe my perception of the bengals
Old 09-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Bengals might be better this year. I think they have a good dline and good offensive weapons. I don't think the Ravens are that good.

I don't like to compare teams in this way because I think all NFL teams are close in the talent department. Usually a player or two is the difference and that is why many games are so close. It really is any given Sunday IMO, and sometimes teams just play better some days as opposed to others. You add in a little luck and the coaching edge, this league really is about parity.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

o

Like Racehorse and Spike, I also alluded to the common opponent comparison in the game thread from last night.

Even though this is an obvious ultra-small sample size in regard to the Bengals 2 games against the Colts and the Ravens so far this season, I do believe that an Andrew Luck-quarterbacked team always has a "puncher's chance" to win any given game against any opponent ........ even if the rest of the team is average, or even below average.

It is similar to when the Colts had Peyton Manning between 1999 and 2010, and Bert Jones between 1975 and 1980.

The Colts won a bare minimum of 10 games for 11 out of 12 seasons between 1999 and 2010, and set the all-time record for the most consecutive 12-win seasons (7) between 2003 and 2009 with Manning behind center ........ and a good number of those teams were either average, slightly below average, or slightly above average outside of Manning.

With Bert Jones, the 1978 and 1979 Colts looked lost when he was sitting on the sidelines with an injured right shoulder, save for a historic upset of the Patriots on Monday Night Football in September of '78. When Bert was healthy again for a full season in 1980, he engineered the team to a 7-6 start after 13 games with a team that was considerably lesser that the 1975, 1976, and 1977 AFC East divisional champion teams. And Jones then proceeded to engineer a monumental 4th quarter comeback against the Bengals (from being down 31-6 to leading by a score of 33-31) in Week 14 before the referees robbed them of a win and an 8-6 record with an atrocious pass-interference call in the final seconds of said game.

Tom Brady is unquestionably an all-time great quarterback, but he never had the task of putting average teams on his back and taking them into title contention year in and year out, like Luck, Manning, and Jones did ........ it is somewhat reminiscent of the way that Wilt Chamberlain often did that in the early part of his career with the Philadelphia/San Francisco Warriors teams that he played for. Bill Russell won many more championships than did Chamberlain did (11 to 2), but he ALWAYS had a vastly superior team surrounding him, save for the 1966-67 and 1967-68 seasons when Wilt played for the Philadelphia 76ers.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-14-2018), Spike (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:10 PM

They are who we thought they are......and we let 'me off the hook!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.