ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2022, 08:40 AM

Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,556 Posts

Since I am still obsessed with this loss...how possible is it that the Jaguars were sandbagging all season to put themselves into position to load up in another draft...if they were, this could be a very dangerous team going forward! I remember the turn around the Colts made after Peyton's first season!
Old 01-13-2022, 12:04 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
Since I am still obsessed with this loss...how possible is it that the Jaguars were sandbagging all season to put themselves into position to load up in another draft...if they were, this could be a very dangerous team going forward! I remember the turn around the Colts made after Peyton's first season!
Maybe they are poised for a turn around but I dont think they are sandbagging. I dont think players would do that. They are not wasting a year of their careers on the potential to draft some rookies that may or may not work out. Too much work and effort goes into the season, possibility of injury, etc. Front office may want that, but no way players would do that for an entire season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-13-2022), Racehorse (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Maybe they are poised for a turn around but I dont think they are sandbagging. I dont think players would do that. They are not wasting a year of their careers on the potential to draft some rookies that may or may not work out. Too much work and effort goes into the season, possibility of injury, etc. Front office may want that, but no way players would do that for an entire season.
I agree, but they could implement game plans with little chance of success....there are ways the powers that be could handicap their own team if they wished to do so. But this team, depending on how well they draft and whom they choose for a coach, could be building a very formable opponent for years to come!
Old 01-13-2022, 12:52 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post

Maybe they are poised for a turn-around. but I don't think that they are sandbagging. I don't think that players would do that. They are not going to waste a year of their careers on the potential to draft some rookies that may or may not work out. Too much work and effort goes into the season, and there's the possibility of injury, etc. The font-office may want that, but no there is no way that the players would do that for an entire season.

o

Correct.

In the 2011 season, Peyton Manning was out for the entire year with a neck injury. The Colts started the season at 0-13. They seemed well on their way to getting the #1 overall pick (the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes) when they won 2 games in a row, and went right down to the wire in the final game of the season ........ a game in which it would have cost them that 1st overall pick had they won it, as the St. Louis Rams also went 2-14 that season. In that final game against the Jaguars, I remember the Colts scoring a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to cut the deficit to 19-13, and then calling timeouts on defense to try to get the ball back when the Jaguars were trying to run out the clock.

What the Colts did in those final 3 games of that season (and especially what they were doing late in the 4th quarter of the season finale) was the antithesis of tanking.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (01-13-2022), Racehorse (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Correct.

In the 2011 season, Peyton Manning was out for the entire year with a neck injury. The Colts started the season at 0-13. They seemed well on their way to getting the #1 overall pick (the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes) when they won 2 games in a row, and went right down to the wire in the final game of the season ........ a game in which it would have cost them that 1st overall pick had they won it, as the St. Louis Rams also went 2-14 that season. In that final game against the Jaguars, I remember the Colts scoring a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to cut the deficit to 19-13, and then calling timeouts on defense to try to get the ball back when the Jaguars were trying to run out the clock.

What the Colts did in those final 3 games of that season (and especially what they were doing late in the 4th quarter of the season finale) was the antithesis of tanking.

o
Having Dan Orlovsky as QB certainly gave the franchise the best chance to get Andrew Luck!
Old 01-13-2022, 02:27 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Still can’t believe this actually happened. To lose would have been bad enough, but to get blown out? That’s reason enough to question the entire direction of the franchise.

Just unbelievable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 04:11 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Still can’t believe this actually happened. To lose would have been bad enough, but to get blown out? That’s reason enough to question the entire direction of the franchise.

Just unbelievable.
glad we got blown out. not glad that we lost, but if we were to lose, getting blown out was good. might lead to some serious changes rather than thinking we only need to tweak some things.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-13-2022)