ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts
Default 2019 Draft Class Scouting Reports

CB Rock Ya-Sin, Temple

Strengths
Versatile, capable of playing both man and zone well. Fluid hips allow for quick changes of direction which helps him to mirror receivers and stick to his man in coverage. Tracks the ball well in the air, putting himself in position to make plays he shouldn't have opportunities to make. Can run deep with receivers and does not get beat over the top in man or deep zone. Fights for the football when in the air, does not let the receiver make a clean catch. Not afraid to come up in run support, always goes after a ballcarrier with aggression.

Weaknesses
Occasionally struggles to get a successful jam in press man coverage. Is forced to use athleticism to cover for technique mistakes at times. Isn't always the surest tackler, especially against the run.

Other
Team Captain. Awarded single digit number which are given to the nine players deemed "toughest" on the team at Temple.

Player Comparison
Richard Sherman

Last edited by Butter; 04-30-2019 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Super huge pic, resized and fixed
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (04-30-2019), apballin (05-08-2019), Butter (04-30-2019), Dewey 5 (04-30-2019), Oldcolt (04-30-2019), Racehorse (04-30-2019), smitty46953 (04-30-2019), VeveJones007 (05-01-2019), YDFL Commish (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:38 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Good stuff. Tackling technique can be coached. And he won't be asked to play press man coverage.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Post whore

LB Ben Banogu, TCU

Strengths
Plays fast and physical. Can track down ballcarriers and displays sideline to sideline speed. Showed ability to run with backs and tight ends in coverage. Disciplined run defender who maintains control of his gap and often makes plays in the backfield. Uses athleticism primarily to generate pressure on QB, made his biggest impact on film as a pass rusher using interior stunts and delayed blitzes. Spies well. Relentless motor, does not quit on plays which led to some effort sacks and running down ballcarriers from behind. Punches at the ball and attempts to create turnovers.

Weaknesses
Has no rush plan and very rudimentary rush moves. Needs a lot of work in this area. Snap was typically over if he went up against a tackle who got hands on him. Sticks to blocks, needs to find a way to effectively shed and wrap up ballcarriers more frequently. Doesn't always have the best tackling form, which leads to the occasional missed tackle.

Other
First team All Big 12 in 2017 and 2018.

Player Comparison
T.J. Watt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (05-08-2019), smitty46953 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

The two players I'm most excited to watch are Banogu and Campbell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Coltsfever (06-13-2019), Racehorse (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Post whore

WR Parris Campbell OSU

Strengths
Dangerous with the ball in his hands. Playmaker. Any touch can end in a TD. Turns short routes into big plays routinely with speed and athleticism. Very capable of making defenders miss in the open field. Rarely drops a catchable ball. Adjusts routes based on coverage defense runs, is often able to find the soft spot in a zone defense. When he blocks, good blocker who can help a runner turn a short or medium gain into a long gain.

Weaknesses
Did not show the ability to run the full route tree in college. Route running could use work, ideally cuts would be sharper and steps would not be wasted. Occasionally does not give full effort on a play if he knows the ball is not coming his way and has missed run blocks that could potentially spring big plays as a result.

Other
Team Captain in 2017 and 2018. First team All Big Ten 2018.

Player Comparison
Tyreek Hill
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (05-08-2019), Luck4Reich (04-30-2019), smitty46953 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
LB Ben Banogu, TCU

Strengths
Plays fast and physical. Can track down ballcarriers and displays sideline to sideline speed. Showed ability to run with backs and tight ends in coverage. Disciplined run defender who maintains control of his gap and often makes plays in the backfield. Uses athleticism primarily to generate pressure on QB, made his biggest impact on film as a pass rusher using interior stunts and delayed blitzes. Spies well. Relentless motor, does not quit on plays which led to some effort sacks and running down ballcarriers from behind. Punches at the ball and attempts to create turnovers.

Weaknesses
Has no rush plan and very rudimentary rush moves. Needs a lot of work in this area. Snap was typically over if he went up against a tackle who got hands on him. Sticks to blocks, needs to find a way to effectively shed and wrap up ballcarriers more frequently. Doesn't always have the best tackling form, which leads to the occasional missed tackle.

Other
First team All Big 12 in 2017 and 2018.

Player Comparison
T.J. Watt
Kevin Bowen said on his podcast that he sees Banogu being moved to SAM. Based off this report seems like that might be a better move than him staying at DE?
The Following User Says Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (05-01-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Kevin Bowen said on his podcast that he sees Banogu being moved to SAM. Based off this report seems like that might be a better move than him staying at DE?
Heard Ballard tonight say they will play him at SAM at MIKE and on third down they will move him around and experiment. When talking about him he said TCU moved him all over the place, as LB, as EDGE, as 3-tech. He said he was excelling at all positions when out there, has a jack of all trades value.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:21 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
I think that will be his best NFL fit, at least initially while he improves his strength and learns pass rush moves, at which point a transition to DE could be feasible. That's why my player comparison for him was T.J. Watt. High energy, high motor tweener that has the athleticism to get after the QB with improved play strength and pass rush technique. Watt is the high end outcome of that type of player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Heard Ballard tonight say they will play him at SAM at MIKE and on third down they will move him around and experiment. When talking about him he said TCU moved him all over the place, as LB, as EDGE, as 3-tech. He said he was excelling at all positions when out there, has a jack of all trades value.
So they already envision him supplanting Walker on nickel sub packages? They certainly have a lot of confidence in his athletic ability. Personally, I'd have Okereke taking that role if anyone from this draft.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:30 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I think that will be his best NFL fit, at least initially while he improves his strength and learns pass rush moves, at which point a transition to DE could be feasible. That's why my player comparison for him was T.J. Watt. High energy, high motor tweener that has the athleticism to get after the QB with improved play strength and pass rush technique. Watt is the high end outcome of that type of player.

So they already envision him supplanting Walker on nickel sub packages? They certainly have a lot of confidence in his athletic ability. Personally, I'd have Okereke taking that role if anyone from this draft.
I believe he said Okereke will play mike and sam. More mike though. He didn't use the word supplant though. I think he sees them all getting playing time. Talked about how they were thin at linebacker at one point last year because everyone was hurt. They had a long meeting about it at the end of the year and wanted to add depth, speed, and length. Said they were just getting the pieces for Eberflus and that he would figure out how to use them. Said they were still a 4-3 tampa-2 system, but it was really Eberflus' unique spin on it. I got the impression guys are going to move around a lot and some guys may have multiple positions.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I believe he said Okereke will play mike and sam. More mike though. He didn't use the word supplant though. I think he sees them all getting playing time. Talked about how they were thin at linebacker at one point last year because everyone was hurt. They had a long meeting about it at the end of the year and wanted to add depth, speed, and length. Said they were just getting the pieces for Eberflus and that he would figure out how to use them. Said they were still a 4-3 tampa-2 system, but it was really Eberflus' unique spin on it. I got the impression guys are going to move around a lot and some guys may have multiple positions.
I think we may see some 3-3-5 nickel packages this year, maybe even some 2-4-5 packages. They certainly have the personnel for it now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (05-08-2019), Chromeburn (05-01-2019), Ironshaft (05-01-2019), VeveJones007 (05-01-2019)