ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
Hard to build a top defense when your coach is begging your GM to draft guys like TJ Green and bring in free agents like LaRon Landry
True

But when that GM is fired and you are still trotting out TJ Green a year later not only as a safety but as a starting corner, which he is even worse at, it makes it even harder.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 PM
TROLL

Pagano was a button clicker and not sharp mentally, and his teams were never sharp either.

He's not the worst coach ever but he's not head coach material. He deserved to be let go.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:02 AM
TROLL

Some observations about Chuck Pagano:

1. We know him as "clappy" and that's really such a true statement. I watched the Colts-Chiefs playoff game the other day, and when Trent Richardson sloppily fumbled the ball without ever being touch, Pagano literally ran onto the field clapping. Patted Trent on his head and said that's ok don't worry about it. Contrast that to Belichick who lit into his only good running back who fumbled in a playoff game a few years ago and benched him. Told some no-name to get in the game and hold onto the ball.

That was the major problem with Pagano's clubs. He didn't hold anyone accountable and as a result, nobody was sharp. The receivers ran sloppy routes. The running backs didn't take care of the ball. People missed tackles or in Laron Landry's case, never tried to actually tackle a person. Andrew Luck was never pushed (really pushed). Too many mental mistake interceptions where he made the wrong read/poor decision and came off the field banging his helmet saying "my bad". Too many people on special teams who didn't know the rules and got called for penalties like running out of bounds on purpose on a punt that even someone not getting paid at home knows you can't do.

Sloppy ****ing teams over and over again.

2. I've said this before but I have a relative who has ADHD and Chuck Pagano reminds me of him in a lot of ways. The neurons in the brain just fire at random and it's pot-luck whatever decision the guy is going to make. That's how I always felt with Pagano in games. Will he challenge a call or not? Who knows, it depends on whatever random impulse pops into his brain in the moment. 4th down call against the Patriots that everyone laughs about? Same thing.

You just can't have a guy like that running a team. Maybe a great assistant coach. Maybe a great person. But someone who isn't sharp as a tack and always in control of the moment cannot run a team.

3. Chuck Pagano wasn't the worst coach either. He took responsibility for his mistakes and tried to do better. In many cases he did. There are a lot of people in football past Colts coaches and players included who fail to do that. It's a character flaw if you can't admit you screwed up and take responsibility for your actions and try to learn from them and do better. Chuck Pagano deserves credit for not being like that.

Colts moved on from him and it was the right decision. Now let's hope they find the right guy this time.

Last edited by Gimmick; 01-10-2018 at 12:05 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gimmick For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-10-2018), Racehorse (01-10-2018), YDFL Commish (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:46 AM

Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmick View Post

1. We know him as "clappy" and that's really such a true statement. I watched the Colts-Chiefs playoff game the other day, and when Trent Richardson sloppily fumbled the ball without ever being touch, Pagano literally ran onto the field clapping. Patted Trent on his head and said that's ok don't worry about it. Contrast that to Belichick who lit into his only good running back who fumbled in a playoff game a few years ago and benched him. Told some no-name to get in the game and hold onto the ball.

That was the major problem with Pagano's clubs. He didn't hold anyone accountable and as a result, nobody was sharp. The receivers ran sloppy routes. The running backs didn't take care of the ball. People missed tackles or in Laron Landry's case, never tried to actually tackle a person. Andrew Luck was never pushed (really pushed). Too many mental mistake interceptions where he made the wrong read/poor decision and came off the field banging his helmet saying "my bad". Too many people on special teams who didn't know the rules and got called for penalties like running out of bounds on purpose on a punt that even someone not getting paid at home knows you can't do.

2. I've said this before but I have a relative who has ADHD and Chuck Pagano reminds me of him in a lot of ways. The neurons in the brain just fire at random and it's pot-luck whatever decision the guy is going to make. That's how I always felt with Pagano in games. Will he challenge a call or not? Who knows, it depends on whatever random impulse pops into his brain in the moment. 4th down call against the Patriots that everyone laughs about? Same thing.

You just can't have a guy like that running a team. Maybe a great assistant coach. Maybe a great person. But someone who isn't sharp as a tack and always in control of the moment cannot run a team.

3. Chuck Pagano wasn't the worst coach either. He took responsibility for his mistakes and tried to do better. In many cases he did. There are a lot of people in football past Colts coaches and players included who fail to do that. It's a character flaw if you can't admit you screwed up and take responsibility for your actions and try to learn from them and do better. Chuck Pagano deserves credit for not being like that.

Colts moved on from him and it was the right decision. Now let's hope they find the right guy this time.
Excellent post!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Thanked 1,240 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmick View Post

I think you're being generous.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,129 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Doesnt matter who the owner wants. The HC should be able to coach anyone on the team..... I know this is a new concept... at least in the last 6 yrs... but you'll get it eventually
You can only coach what you got

When you pay your QB 100 million your committing to being an offense 1st team

The only chance we had at building a great defense was while Luck was on a rookie contract
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM

Thanked 4,281 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post

The only chance we had at building a great defense was while Luck was on a rookie contract
that is retarded
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Butter (01-10-2018), Racehorse (01-10-2018), sherck (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 08:07 PM

Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
that is retarded
Especially retarded, when we have $80 million in cap space.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Butter (01-10-2018), sherck (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post

Stop doubling down on stupid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Puck (01-10-2018), sherck (01-10-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,129 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
that is retarded
Name a team with a 100million dollar QB that has a lockdown/shutdown or even top 5 defense???

I'll wait. . .