ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2018, 05:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
but there were ways to improve the oline and get a good one without drafting nelson. it is really a pointless argument imo. we needed the oline fixed, and we seem to have it. with depth i might add. i like how Clark stepped up.

we need amost a whole dline. sheard is ok but very replaceable. the interior of the line needs almost completely redone. and turay has shown flashes but thats about it.

we have a huge need at cb. another safety is needed. also could use a replacement to walker. although i do like him.

we have a way to go before we get a top 5 d
The team needs more D. Absolutely

But there is 8 more games. A lot of young guys out there now, and the learning curve is brutal. At the end of the season, some of those guys will have grown, gotten better. It might not be that bad. 8 games is a lot of time in the NFL. You think Leonard is good now, wait until the last game. He's going to be scary
Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
"Time is a great thickener of things"

A. Lincoln

If those two guys are starters 8 years from now, Ballard will look like a genius.
Didnt this basically happen in dallas a while back? Jerry's son convinced him to take a bunch of OL with high picks and they had a killer line for years

(and cue someone saying they didnt win anything with that...)
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
JAFF (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 08:18 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Wow, this sparked a lot of discussion. My only point here was if the Colts could've traded down for something like 12 and 22, that would've produced a more valuable group of players than Nelson by himself at 6. An example would be Derwin James and Isaiah Wynn. Yes, Wynn got injured, but he may not have here. Wynn was a very good guard, and James has been an impact defender thus far. In fact, Nelson hasn't been so good as to convince me that Wynn couldn't have been similarly productive if healthy.

That said, Ballard chose not to go that route, and thus far the 2018 draft class does look incredibly productive. Hopefully, he'll make good on his philosophy of building through the lines by drafting DL in this draft early and often.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Really interesting article on Stampede Blue about Hines running (located here).

Basic premise:
Quote:
So what was that point that I was bashing over your head the entire article? The Colts are finally using Nyheim Hines the way that he should be used. Hines is not a traditional scat back with great agility and shiftiness to make a play. He is a strong, downhill runner despite what his size says. Once Coach Reich realized this, he schemed plays that allowed for Hines to have his best rushing game of his pro career.

Early in the season, Hines was excelling as a passing down back but putting up fairly poor numbers as a runner. Once the offensive line solidified with Braden Smith at RT and Mark Glowinski at RG, running lanes have opened up tremendously for the Colts running backs. Coach Reich realized the best way to utilize Hines and Mack is to not make them these runners with great vision. Rather, allow these two great athletes to use their athleticism to create big plays through the big holes that his offensive line is creating.

Am I saying that Hines is a bad player? Not at all, in fact he has played remarkably well this year. All I am saying is that he is not a complete back and he is not going to be this agile runner with great vision. Reich understands that and is putting a very good role player in a role where he can find the most success.
Cannot argue with the results of the past three weeks.

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:08 AM

I know I keep coming back to it more than I should, but I love seeing and hearing about the coaching staff making adjustments for players strengths. It seems to be a major part of Reich’s philosophy and to me it is a great indicator that he’s going to be a very good coach.

Not to start back up the old arguments, but this philosophy is the major reason I had issue with some of the personnel decisions that were made on the defensive side. I don’t see that same philosophy defensively. Certainly it lends itself a little more to the offensive side of the ball. Creating mismatches. However it is still applicable to the defensive side and I do hate the idea that we may be going back to “we do what we do”. I’ve never been a fan of that.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Not to start back up the old arguments, but this philosophy is the major reason I had issue with some of the personnel decisions that were made on the defensive side. I don’t see that same philosophy defensively. Certainly it lends itself a little more to the offensive side of the ball. Creating mismatches. However it is still applicable to the defensive side and I do hate the idea that we may be going back to “we do what we do”. I’ve never been a fan of that.
I don't disagree with your overall point. I've been clear that I think cutting Hankins, Anderson, and Simon were all mistakes.

That said, notice Hunt isn't playing that much on the edge. He's playing interior DL, where he fits best. When Quincy Wilson played so much against the Bills, they put him on Kelvin Benjamin and let him press. He wasn't forced into soft zone coverage. There's evidence of Eberflus and company tailoring the defense to specific strengths. I'd like to see more of it, but so far I don't think this D is as rigid as the Dungy defenses of the past.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-01-2018), rm1369 (11-01-2018), sherck (11-01-2018), VeveJones007 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I don't disagree with your overall point. I've been clear that I think cutting Hankins, Anderson, and Simon were all mistakes.

That said, notice Hunt isn't playing that much on the edge. He's playing interior DL, where he fits best. When Quincy Wilson played so much against the Bills, they put him on Kelvin Benjamin and let him press. He wasn't forced into soft zone coverage. There's evidence of Eberflus and company tailoring the defense to specific strengths. I'd like to see more of it, but so far I don't think this D is as rigid as the Dungy defenses of the past.
Fair points. I was aware of the change with Hunt, but didn’t notice the adjustment with Wilson. Hopefully you are correct and they aren’t as rigid as Dungy was. I’ll have to watch for adjustments a little closer.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 AM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
but there were ways to improve the oline and get a good one without drafting nelson. it is really a pointless argument imo. we needed the oline fixed, and we seem to have it. with depth i might add. i like how Clark stepped up.

we need amost a whole dline. sheard is ok but very replaceable. the interior of the line needs almost completely redone. and turay has shown flashes but thats about it.

we have a huge need at cb. another safety is needed. also could use a replacement to walker. although i do like him.

we have a way to go before we get a top 5 d
Agree with all of this, except Walker. We are getting virtually no production at SAM, where they have rotateing 3 players, Goode, Franklin and Adams. While Walker is playing pretty well at MIKE.

Now, if the plan is to replace Walker and move him to SAM, then I may be all for that.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Agree with all of this, except Walker. We are getting virtually no production at SAM, where they have rotateing 3 players, Goode, Franklin and Adams. While Walker is playing pretty well at MIKE.

Now, if the plan is to replace Walker and move him to SAM, then I may be all for that.
That would be my plan. Get a more dynamic MIKE to put next to Leonard at WILL and move Walker to SAM. That would be after fixing the DL unless a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher falls into the team's lap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

We don’t use a Sam much. And yes he would be fine to play that role