ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
This dline needs more help than I think people realize.
Some in the organization think Lewis can be a really good 3-technique. If that's the case, then the d-line is looking a lot stronger on paper. We'll see.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:46 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Scheme, player, they didn't do it enough. And there is shooting gaps and then there is creating gaps which they did the latter. Should have done it all the time. Teams would have 3rd and long and run a draw at their gap and get the first so many times.
I don't disagree with you. But when a player proves he can do something, but consistently every player at that position does something else, it's a pretty good indication that it was scheme. I don't know why they kept doing it, other than " We do what we do".
Old 10-17-2018, 02:48 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Scheme, player, they didn't do it enough. And there is shooting gaps and then there is creating gaps which they did the latter. Should have done it all the time. Teams would have 3rd and long and run a draw at their gap and get the first so many times.
Why didn't the defensive coordinator have someone stunt into that area or a LB fill that area?
Old 10-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
I would say a Simeon Rice or a Bosa. As much as Freeney was a terror on passing downs, he was a huge liability in the run game.

A dominate 3-tech would do wonders for the line. We saw what one could do with Hunt kicking butt out there.

Dont forget we have Lewis so I think 3 tech is not as important as a pass rusher.

Oline, WR and Cb's are the next 2 must haves.round out the list of must haves
Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I don't disagree with you. But when a player proves he can do something, but consistently every player at that position does something else, it's a pretty good indication that it was scheme. I don't know why they kept doing it, other than " We do what we do".
Dungy was always preaching spacing integrity, I don't know why they did it. Whatever the reason, it drove me crazy. That's why I enjoy watching this defensive line, much more disciplined in their gap control.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Dont forget we have Lewis so I think 3 tech is not as important as a pass rusher.

Oline, WR and Cb's are the next 2 must haves.round out the list of must haves
I do want to see what Lewis can do, staff is super high on him. A dominate dline does wonders for the guys behind them, just like a dominate oline is the engine of the offense. I wouldn't mind him some help though. There are so many dline in this draft might get one in the second round. I think for me it will come down to the player available and BPA. Bosa vs Oliver, or Oliver vs Ferrel, Ferrel vs Brown. I was going to make a draft post with possible options just cause I'm bored and love to talk draft.

I do think this team will make a second half run though and I suspect we will be looking at a pick around 10.

I don't like the idea of spending a 1st on WR, too many busts, and this is a deep group. I think a 2nd on one will help us just fine, and maybe another later round pick. Greedy Williams of LSU is the top rated corner. He should be a shut down corner. But the cover 2 doesn't really need shut down man corners, you can get decent corners to fill the job in later rounds. The cover-2 does need high picks spent on dline because you only rush with 4 men 90% of the time. As for oline, there should be several good LT's this year.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 10-17-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
This dline needs more help than I think people realize.
So much more. Fortunately Ballard appears to be a lines guy.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
Why didn't the defensive coordinator have someone stunt into that area or a LB fill that area?
In a cover two the LBs are dropping into zones, with the mike dropping into a deep middle zone. So if the RB makes it to the second level on a 3rd and long he should have a lot of open space in front of him. That is why gap control is important, so you don't create those running lanes for a RB.

Freeney and Mathis went so wide in their pass rush they created huge gaps in the line. A stunt would mean Freeney is going inside and the DT is looping outside. The same gaps are being attacked, they are just switching jobs. If the DT moved over to fill the gap the DE's created in their rush, then they would just create a new gap in the middle of the line. Same problem again just in a different place. The cover 2 is predicated on rushing four guys only.

I think MJD is still running on that defense and gaining yards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Maniac (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
I do want to see what Lewis can do, staff is super high on him. A dominate dline does wonders for the guys behind them, just like a dominate oline is the engine of the offense. I wouldn't mind him some help though. There are so many dline in this draft might get one in the second round. I think for me it will come down to the player available and BPA. Bosa vs Oliver, or Oliver vs Ferrel, Ferrel vs Brown. I was going to make a draft post with possible options just cause I'm bored and love to talk draft.

I do think this team will make a second half run though and I suspect we will be looking at a pick around 10.
I think so too. I think the drops will lessen/stop. TY and Doyle will come back. The OL, if they stay healthy, should keep getting better. I think we'll still pick in the top half of the draft but I'm expecting 5-7 wins.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
In a cover two the LBs are dropping into zones, with the mike dropping into a deep middle zone. So if the RB makes it to the second level on a 3rd and long he should have a lot of open space in front of him. That is why gap control is important, so you don't create those running lanes for a RB.

Freeney and Mathis went so wide in their pass rush they created huge gaps in the line. A stunt would mean Freeney is going inside and the DT is looping outside. The same gaps are being attacked, they are just switching jobs. If the DT moved over to fill the gap the DE's created in their rush, then they would just create a new gap in the middle of the line. Same problem again just in a different place. The cover 2 is predicated on rushing four guys only.

I think MJD is still running on that defense and gaining yards.
If it is 3rd and long, I tell my all world de to go get the qb. Not worry about the rb on a draw
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
southside asshole (10-22-2018)