ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I’ll stop “lecturing” people about sound management of team resources when people stop trying to justify the signing of an over-the-hill player based upon the amount of cap space that we have. It’s a lame justification. And the only “hand wringing” I see is the anxiety that so many here have expressed over the large amount of cap space the Colts are sitting on.

Looking through all of the garbage in your last post, it doesn’t appear we even disagree very much in principle. Of course you need to draft well, and of course you need to make good free agent signings. That’s really all I’ve been saying all along. Where we disagree is how that strategy is implemented. It is indeed a cost benefit analysis, just as you’ve said, and I just don’t think the costs of signing the type of older players you’ve been advocating (like McCoy) are likely to provide a equivalent or greater benefit. Time will tell, I guess, and it certainly isn't impossible, but as we sit here today I just don’t think history suggests that’s a good move.

But I never said we shouldn’t sign free agents – that’s a ridiculous distortion – and with perhaps the exception of the Houston signing, I’ve only spoken up when people here start criticizing the team’s failure to sign a ultra high end free agent or an expensive castoff from another team. I praised the 2018 free agent class we signed, which led to a fair amount of criticism and similar comments last off season (perhaps even from you – but I’m not going to hunt down those comments right now), and had no problem with the Funchess signing except for the length of contract/lack of options stuff I mentioned. I’m not a big fan of the Houston signing – primarily for the costs and guarantees involved. That’s it.

P.S. So now Ballard is both reactive AND proactive - do I have that right? (sorry, couldn't resist)
The fact that we have available cap space was only one factor in signing McCoy, not the only factor. If you read through the thread you would know that, but I think you ignore it because it doesn't fit the narrative you are trying to establish. We actually don't disagree on very much, however you misinterpret things quite a bit and it is exhausting.

Maybe some appreaciate the lectures, I already have an MBA and I don't think your 'run it like a business' model is applicable to building a winning football team. The problem is I just don't think you know a whole lot about football. The fact that the only problem you have with the Funchess signing is that it is one year contract reinforces that notion. If you don't know much about football it is hard to tell what is a good decision and a bad decision concerning personnel. So you fall back on a trope of arguing against over-paying for free agents and big names. "Oh no stupid fans, they don't know what they are talking about. They just want to sign big name players past their prime. I better tell them how you are suppossed to run a football team." Well that isn't really the case here. Considering we have a ton of cap space, makes it more a football fit argument than a cap argument concerning McCoy. If you want to argue that spending money on McCoy will keep us from resigning our own guys, fine do that. Look at the free agents for next year. Some of these guys we will resign, more I think we will replaced through the draft. But just saying "oh no spending ten million now will keep us from resigning guys" is a blanket statement that doesn't hold any weight because it is conjecture.

As for the proactive thing. I know you think you are making a joke, but you do know premptive and proactive have two different meanings? You remind me of Biff Tannen who thinks he is being witty when he tells someone to make like a tree and get outa here. Ballard is only proactive once a glaring hole is exposed on the field. The past couple years we have entered the season with obvious holes. OL year one, year two pass rush and WR, year three looks like interior d-line to me as it stands. I would like to see him address these issues more before it is exposed on the field, hence he is reactive to roster issues after the fact, then he becomes proactive. That is not the same as preemptive. This comes into the reading comprehension, I really think you have a hard time figuring out what people are trying to say on here. I have to explain things to an obsurd detail. I noticed it the last time we got into it and you doing it with other posters as well.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
He is the hill.
King of the hill?

The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
So fat slow guys do better on muddy fields than fast guys?? Same conditions. The law of inertia will tell you a smaller guy stops faster than a big guy moving the same speed. A bad field is a bad field for everybody.
I was 6'3" 295# when I played, personally loved muddy slick fields due to better traction. Science or not but as a slow fat guy I felt I had an advantage. Just my $0.02 …
Chromeburn (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
I was 6'3" 295# when I played, personally loved muddy slick fields due to better traction. Science or not but as a slow fat guy I felt I had an advantage. Just my $0.02 …
If you couldn't catch a RB on a dry field you weren't going to catch him on a muddy one. It's easier for a man who weighs less to change directions than a larger man because the force of inertia is greater with more mass. So it's harder to make quick turns for a semi truck, easier for a civic.

The only way I ever had an advantage on a muddy field was putting in the longest cleats that was in the equipment box.

Howie Long got caught in a winter game on a frozen field wearing baseball spikes. A for effort, A for being a douchebag.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Nothing always works all the time. That's life. How did this team lose to Jax 6-0 last year? WTF. The offense stunk that day.

The NFL has morphed into a league with athletic QB's and play fast up and down the field. A large, slow D can't compete with speed. Speed never goes into a slump. A large slow D can't catch Pat Mahomes. And moving him off his spot doesn't seem to bother him, that guy can throw from any positon. So you need to go HIT him. And he's not the last of fast mobile QB's, he is the future. And does anyone have a power run system in the NFL other than Dallas?

Yeah, I'm keeping it simple, because I'm not a GM. I don't pretend to be one on the internet. And the Dungy D works because it is simple. Players don't have time to make decisions, so you give them less thinking and more doing. Defense is reacting, and then you get to the ball, all 11 guys. That's how you can play young guys with less experience.

And I believe if Ballard can draft a 310 lb DT who can run like Warren Sapp, he will take him. But those guys are rare. You he's not going to sign a guy 2 gap blocking sponge because that doesn't fit this D. They don't need Tony Sarigusa. They are looking for John Randle.
Here is my take on it. You are obsolutely right that the league is curving towards a spread system with fast mobile QB's (fast mobile QB's are really nothing new). The speed we have gained is definitely necessary and will be an asset next year.

The problem is we have two power run teams in our division and several more in the conference. We will have to go through these teams to get to the superbowl. To defend the run in this system it is all about maintaining your lane and distance (gap integrity or whatever you want to call it) while moving up the field. Dungy preached it relentlessly, we rarely practiced it. Those defenses often got pushed around a lot. MJD is still running on them.

Maintaining your lane is easier in the 1st quarter than it is in the 4th, in the cold, on the road, in the playoffs. Colts fans have seen this before. The pats went run heavy at the end of last year to counter all these light fast defenses and to protect Brady's aging arm. They use a fullback. The question is will we be able to hold up against the pats, in NE, on their turf, in the playoffs when they will want to run all day long?

I don't know if they can, so I would like to strengthen the dline with some size. I hoped they would have addressed it in the draft, but it didn't happen. I don't think we need a Siragusa, and I don't think he would fit. But a big DT (in relation to our own guys) that fits our style of D did just become a FA, hence this thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Butter (06-08-2019), JAFF (06-07-2019), Maniac (06-09-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Here is my take on it. You are obsolutely right that the league is curving towards a spread system with fast mobile QB's (fast mobile QB's are really nothing new). The speed we have gained is definitely necessary and will be an asset next year.

The problem is we have two power run teams in our division and several more in the conference. We will have to go through these teams to get to the superbowl. To defend the run in this system it is all about maintaining your lane and distance (gap integrity or whatever you want to call it) while moving up the field. Dungy preached it relentlessly, we rarely practiced it. Those defenses often got pushed around a lot. MJD is still running on them.

Maintaining your lane is easier in the 1st quarter than it is in the 4th, in the cold, on the road, in the playoffs. Colts fans have seen this before. The pats went run heavy at the end of last year to counter all these light fast defenses and to protect Brady's aging arm. They use a fullback. The question is will we be able to hold up against the pats, in NE, on their turf, in the playoffs when they will want to run all day long?

I don't know if they can, so I would like to strengthen the dline with some size. I hoped they would have addressed it in the draft, but it didn't happen. I don't think we need a Siragusa, and I don't think he would fit. But a big DT (in relation to our own guys) that fits our style of D did just become a FA, hence this thread.
to paraphrase Bob Kravitz, "something finally stop the Jags running game, the endzone".

I understand all that. 8 games a year is on the turf at LOS. Jacksonville is usually nice weather and Tenn gets cold, but not sloppy and Texans play inside. So that'a 11 games out of 16 in decent weather. If you go to the schedule, the Colts will play LA in Sept, KC in Oct, Tampa Bay and New Orleans away late in the year, but I would not expect snow in the Super dome.

You design your team for what you usually see and do. The Colts are the most northern team in the AFC south. The weather is better when we are on the road.

KC in Oct is a crap shoot. So is the Pittsburg game. Remember when Pittsburg played a game on MNF after the state football playoffs in their stadium. They resodded the field and it had old testimate rain and on one punt the ball stuck in the ground. Anyone on the field had feet the size of manhole covers.

You build your team for home. You adjust your play calls for away. Not for nothing, if the Colts are away in shitty weather and they don't run behind Nelson and Costanzo all night the coaching staff should be fired.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
If you couldn't catch a RB on a dry field you weren't going to catch him on a muddy one. It's easier for a man who weighs less to change directions than a larger man because the force of inertia is greater with more mass. So it's harder to make quick turns for a semi truck, easier for a civic.

The only way I ever had an advantage on a muddy field was putting in the longest cleats that was in the equipment box.

Howie Long got caught in a winter game on a frozen field wearing baseball spikes. A for effort, A for being a douchebag.
I guess I was a "Mudder" cause those little SOB's ran like they were slipping in shit. I even got A's in physics …
Old 06-07-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
So fat slow guys do better on muddy fields than fast guys?? Same conditions. The law of inertia will tell you a smaller guy stops faster than a big guy moving the same speed. A bad field is a bad field for everybody.
What I was saying is that a speed advantage throughout the year is rendered useless most often in games that are most important such as late in the season or in the playoffs. That's why we're always hoping and praying to get the one seed to avoid a road game in Pittsburgh, New England or some other sloppy track.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
What I was saying is that a speed advantage throughout the year is rendered useless most often in games that are most important such as late in the season or in the playoffs. That's why we're always hoping and praying to get the one seed to avoid a road game in Pittsburgh, New England or some other sloppy track.
Playing away is playing away, doesn't matter the field
Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Nothing always works all the time. That's life. How did this team lose to Jax 6-0 last year? WTF. The offense stunk that day.

The NFL has morphed into a league with athletic QB's and play fast up and down the field. A large, slow D can't compete with speed. Speed never goes into a slump. A large slow D can't catch Pat Mahomes. And moving him off his spot doesn't seem to bother him, that guy can throw from any positon. So you need to go HIT him. And he's not the last of fast mobile QB's, he is the future. And does anyone have a power run system in the NFL other than Dallas?

Yeah, I'm keeping it simple, because I'm not a GM. I don't pretend to be one on the internet. And the Dungy D works because it is simple. Players don't have time to make decisions, so you give them less thinking and more doing. Defense is reacting, and then you get to the ball, all 11 guys. That's how you can play young guys with less experience.

And I believe if Ballard can draft a 310 lb DT who can run like Warren Sapp, he will take him. But those guys are rare. You he's not going to sign a guy 2 gap blocking sponge because that doesn't fit this D. They don't need Tony Sarigusa. They are looking for John Randle.
We don’t run a dungy defense. How would you know what player fits this defense when you don’t have a clue as to what we do?