ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts
Default Comeback Player of the Year article...

From NFL.com (located here):
Quote:
1) Andrew Luck, quarterback, Indianapolis Colts

Now that Luck is on pace for the fifth-most passing touchdowns (46) in a single season, it's easy to forget the legitimate concern that he would return from shoulder surgery as a shadow of his former playmaking self -- if at all. Rather than trying in vain to overcome a popgun throwing arm, he's coming off his sixth straight game with three or more touchdown tosses, the fourth-longest streak since 1950 behind Tom Brady (10), Peyton Manning (eight) and Dan Marino (seven). Carrying an offense with its top tackle, running back, wide receiver and tight end in and out of the lineup for the season's first two months, Luck has the Colts averaging 12.5 more points, 95.2 more yards and 85.4 more passing yards this season than last.

With the help of Frank Reich's brilliant play designs, Luck is finally fulfilling his vast potential. We are witnessing a different quarterback, a more decisive and accurate passer with adequate protection and the first stirrings of a reliable ground game -- and it's beautiful. Luck has an uncanny knack for taking a new receiver off the scrap heap and featuring him in a quick-passing, chain-moving attack good for 30 points per week. Don't be surprised if we're still watching this offense in January. There isn't a team left on Indianapolis' schedule that is unequivocally superior.
The future is so bright.....I gotta triple up

Walk Worthy,
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
albany ed (11-17-2018), Colts And Orioles (01-18-2019), Dewey 5 (01-03-2019), Oldcolt (11-15-2018), Racehorse (11-15-2018), southside asshole (11-15-2018), Spike (11-15-2018), VeveJones007 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:50 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
We are witnessing a different quarterback, a more decisive and accurate passer
I'm not sure I agree with this portion. It's a different offense that stresses quick, high percentage short- and medium-range passes.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:53 AM

I realize we're in an era of inflated passing stats, but I still find it remarkable that Luck is nearly on a Peyton 49 TD pace while throwing to the likes of Ryan Grant and Chester Rogers. Can you imagine what he would look like with 2004 Marvin, Reggie, and Stokley?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Brylok (11-15-2018), dwilli57 (11-16-2018), Racehorse (11-15-2018), sherck (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this portion. It's a different offense that stresses quick, high percentage short- and medium-range passes.
How does that contradict what the author said?
Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
The author is implying Luck didn't have those traits while the poster is saying the traits were there, but latent due to scheme. I'd agree with the poster because I don't think it's a surprise that going from a scheme that emphasizes medium and deep routes to a scheme that emphasizes short and medium routes resulted in an uptick in Luck's accuracy. That's just logical.

On a slightly related note, I'm starting to see upgrades at WR as less and less of a need. Between scheme and QB, TE usage in this offense is incredibly high, and I'd argue WR2 is a 5th or 6th option unless they bring in someone really good or Cain develops really well. As of now though, I'd say the target order in this offense is Hilton, Ebron, Doyle, Alie-Cox, RB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
sherck (11-16-2018), VeveJones007 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:21 PM

I don't feel the need to figure out whether this is the same or better version of Luck. I just feel we are incredibly fortunate to have him back and performing so well. I saw a video clip on Facebook last week from one of their practices. It was a QB challenge between Walker, Brissett and Luck. They performed it in that order. The QB coach had stacked two 30 gallon plastic trash cans on top of each other so the second was raised up on the base of the first, with the opening up. They were stacked on the very outer back corner of the end zone. The QBs were standing around the 40ish yard line...... 3 tosses each. Walker: missed the trash can 3 times by alot....not even close. Brissett: knocked the top trash can off it's base 3 times with a hell of a velocity. Andrew: Gently lopped the football into the trashcan 3 times w/out the can even wobbling on it's base. Nothing but net. Heard Ebron interview on DD show today....he couldn't say enough about how catchable Luck's balls are vs. what he's used to......makes sense given that we are seeing Luck make some mediocre receiver talent look serviceable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
Indystu2 (01-02-2019), Racehorse (11-15-2018), sherck (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
What Dam said. The author says Luck "looks like a different QB." I say, he could always do this. The difference is that he's only now being asked to do it.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
I don't feel the need to figure out whether this is the same or better version of Luck. I just feel we are incredibly fortunate to have him back and performing so well. I saw a video clip on Facebook last week from one of their practices. It was a QB challenge between Walker, Brissett and Luck. They performed it in that order. The QB coach had stacked two 30 gallon plastic trash cans on top of each other so the second was raised up on the base of the first, with the opening up. They were stacked on the very outer back corner of the end zone. The QBs were standing around the 40ish yard line...... 3 tosses each. Walker: missed the trash can 3 times by alot....not even close. Brissett: knocked the top trash can off it's base 3 times with a hell of a velocity. Andrew: Gently lopped the football into the trashcan 3 times w/out the can even wobbling on it's base. Nothing but net. Heard Ebron interview on DD show today....he couldn't say enough about how catchable Luck's balls are vs. what he's used to......makes sense given that we are seeing Luck make some mediocre receiver talent look serviceable.
Now this is something that I feel is appreciably better about 2018 Luck. He always had very good touch and accuracy, but I feel like he's taken it to a new level this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The author is implying Luck didn't have those traits while the poster is saying the traits were there, but latent due to scheme. I'd agree with the poster because I don't think it's a surprise that going from a scheme that emphasizes medium and deep routes to a scheme that emphasizes short and medium routes resulted in an uptick in Luck's accuracy. That's just logical.

On a slightly related note, I'm starting to see upgrades at WR as less and less of a need. Between scheme and QB, TE usage in this offense is incredibly high, and I'd argue WR2 is a 5th or 6th option unless they bring in someone really good or Cain develops really well. As of now though, I'd say the target order in this offense is Hilton, Ebron, Doyle, Alie-Cox, RB.
I saw a stat the other day that the Colts were at the very bottom of the league in YAC. They've been able to get around it by stacking positive plays together, but adding more playmakers at WR is the difference between this current version of the Colts offense and what the Chiefs and Rams are doing.

The defense absolutely takes precedence, but I really hope they add an upgrade at WR2 this offseason.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I saw a stat the other day that the Colts were at the very bottom of the league in YAC. They've been able to get around it by stacking positive plays together, but adding more playmakers at WR is the difference between this current version of the Colts offense and what the Chiefs and Rams are doing.

The defense absolutely takes precedence, but I really hope they add an upgrade at WR2 this offseason.
I don't see better WRs as increasing YAC, unless you're looking at Boldin types. I would think TEs are the players that would increase YAC, so that stat is a bit surprising.