ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-10-2018, 11:27 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Bet he's on a snap count moreso because he's young than anything. He doesn't need to be anything other than rotational in his first game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (11-10-2018), Racehorse (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Bet he's on a snap count moreso because he's young than anything. He doesn't need to be anything other than rotational in his first game.
That’s what I was thinking. He is likely not in shape for the whole game. Maybe in three weeks, he can play a bit more, but not first game as a rookie.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Talking him up a ton. On Holder’s podcast he said they think he can have a Leonard/Nelson type impact. I’m not holding my breath, but that is some high praise.
I'll see your praise and raise you one.......Kevin Bowen was saying on one of The Fan broadcasts this week that they "envision him in a Warren Sapp type role". Now granted that's not saying he will perform at that level but the implication was that he will be special. Makes me very uncomfortable labeling people like that before they've played a single snap that counts.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
I'll see your praise and raise you one.......Kevin Bowen was saying on one of The Fan broadcasts this week that they "envision him in a Warren Sapp type role". Now granted that's not saying he will perform at that level but the implication was that he will be special. Makes me very uncomfortable labeling people like that before they've played a single snap that counts.
I was reviewing some of the pre drat write ups on him. One evaluator was playing his tape and said his get off at the snap was faster than Bosa and Jones, both of whom should be first round picks next draft. That he was buried on a very deep OSU defensive line.

Still, I think the praise is getting a little out of hand. Can’t wait for those impatient fans wondering why he is a bust because he doesn’t have a couple sacks in the first few weeks. As racehorse said, it takes several weeks to get in game shape, assuming he has been keeping himself in shape. Also you see a lot of guys get reinjured if they haven’t played in awhile; ie Dez Bryant.

He may play the warren sapp 3-tech role. But Sapp was like 312 pounds, Lewis is 260-270? Big difference there. Still it will be nice seeing him out there and applying pressure up the middle. I just like to temper expectations till I actually see him play a little.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
I was reviewing some of the pre drat write ups on him. One evaluator was playing his tape and said his get off at the snap was faster than Bosa and Jones, both of whom should be first round picks next draft. That he was buried on a very deep OSU defensive line.

Still, I think the praise is getting a little out of hand. Can’t wait for those impatient fans wondering why he is a bust because he doesn’t have a couple sacks in the first few weeks. As racehorse said, it takes several weeks to get in game shape, assuming he has been keeping himself in shape. Also you see a lot of guys get reinjured if they haven’t played in awhile; ie Dez Bryant.

He may play the warren sapp 3-tech role. But Sapp was like 312 pounds, Lewis is 260-270? Big difference there. Still it will be nice seeing him out there and applying pressure up the middle. I just like to temper expectations till I actually see him play a little.
They should've said John Randle. He was undersized and was Sapp before Sapp.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (11-10-2018), Chromeburn (11-14-2018), JAFF (11-10-2018), Pez (11-10-2018), sherck (11-11-2018), YDFL Commish (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:01 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
That would be amazing.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

And a video analysis of Lewis' play against JAX from Stampede Blue (locaqted here).

Summary:
Quote:
Overall, this was a very promising debut. Lewis flashed some of the pass rushing traits that Chris Ballard fell in love with during the pre-draft process. He is an exceptional athlete and the hand usage he flashed on Sunday was something that no other player— even Turay— has really shown this season on film.

I’d like to really see this coaching staff unleash Lewis next week against the Titans. He was held back a little bit this week by what appeared to be a strategy to focus on keeping Bortles in the pocket. The gameplan cannot be that against Marcus Mariota as he will carve the defense in that scheme. I think we could see a lot more of Lewis pinning his ears back and getting after Mariota this Sunday.

With the success of the 2018 class so far though and the strong play of fellow rookie Kemoko Turay, it’s very easy to be excited about Tyquan Lewis going forward.
Walk Worthy,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (11-14-2018), Chaka (11-14-2018), VeveJones007 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:18 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Sizewise yeah. But that’s an even tougher comparison bc he was a monster and hof’er. Hopefully Lewis only moves inside on passing downs. I would like a bigger 3-tech in the upcoming draft.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Sizewise yeah. But that’s an even tougher comparison bc he was a monster and hof’er. Hopefully Lewis only moves inside on passing downs. I would like a bigger 3-tech in the upcoming draft.
Sapp is a Hall of Famer. I was in no way comparing his skill to John Randle, just his size. That said, apparently his get off and hand usage was pretty good on Sunday, which is a good sign for him. He certainly has a long way to go before a Randle comparison is legitimate for anything but size.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Sapp is a Hall of Famer. I was in no way comparing his skill to John Randle, just his size. That said, apparently his get off and hand usage was pretty good on Sunday, which is a good sign for him. He certainly has a long way to go before a Randle comparison is legitimate for anything but size.
Yeah I know you weren't saying he is Randle. If he is a fourth of what Randle was it would be a good pick.