ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-24-2024, 11:55 PM

Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
I get that but Nelson was considered a can’t miss automatic hall of famer and that pick has still been scrutinized for taking a guard that high. Same applies to TE, do TEs picked that high ever work out?

To me the teams biggest flaw was injuries to the Oline, it was a totally different team when Braden Smith missed games. I’d say the oldest most beatup position on the roster is Oline but CB is definitely a glaring weakness however that can be covered up with good Dline play
Nelson was 6th overall...so I get your point there. Bowers at 15th overall is a different story, even as a TE. But you only take a TE that high if you are reasonably certain that he will be a perennial All-Pro.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:16 AM

Thanked 1,325 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Taking Bowers means you’re giving up on Mallory and Woods though right?

Just wondering if they have more faith in those guys then we know of
Not really. If we end up drafting Bowers then I would expect us to play more 2 TEs (and even 3 TEs) and at the very least will need Woods and Mallory to rotate in.

Although, I could see where if Woods can get healthy and show improvement in blocking that MAC is let go. Also, I would think that if we do draft Bowers then we probably let Granson walk after the season.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:30 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Not really. If we end up drafting Bowers then I would expect us to play more 2 TEs (and even 3 TEs) and at the very least will need Woods and Mallory to rotate in.

Although, I could see where if Woods can get healthy and show improvement in blocking that MAC is let go. Also, I would think that if we do draft Bowers then we probably let Granson walk after the season.
Playing 2 and 3 TE takes Downs off the field though.

My main beef with the TE by committee was they tipped their hand on play calling, if Granson is in it’s a pass if cox is in it’s likely a run. I feel like Mallory showed huge promise as well as Woods, though neither seem to block worth a shit.

If Bowers can be that every down threat then I’m cool with it, if he’s just a better receiver than Mallory but can’t block I don’t know about that. He seems pretty undersized for all the hype
Old 02-25-2024, 05:11 PM

For this upcoming draft I've nicknamed it the "Group of Three Draft". Corny...I know.

But why I give it this nickname is that at a number of positions that have exactly 3 legit 1st round prospects.

QB: Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels
WR: Marvin Harrison Jr, Rome Odunze, Malik Nabers
EDGE: jared Verse, Dallas Turner, Laiatu Latu
CB: Nate Wiggins, Terrion Arnold, Quinyon Mitchell

The other positions are in many ways are kind of bare, with very little 1st round talent. Maybe at DT or OT you could squeeze out 3 legit 1st round prospects.

All of the players listed above could be gone by 15, but I suspect the CB's might still be there.. I certainly expect all the QB's and WR's to be gone and at least 2 EDGE guys.

So, it's pretty simple math. Take your preferred EDGE, CB or Bowers if available or trade down.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
apballin (02-25-2024), IndyNorm (03-03-2024), Racehorse (02-25-2024), sherck (03-03-2024), Thorgrim (02-29-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 07:54 PM

I think Granson showed some promise blocking last year. MAC will almost certainly be cut regardless. Anyone have an idea as to what the Ogletree situation will become of itself?
Old 03-01-2024, 08:07 PM

It looks like the CB class is weakening. We all ready knew that DeJean was injured, so he's not working out. Sounds like Wiggins got injured at the combine (hip flexor)and a McKinstry injury was found during his physical (foot fracture).

I really didn't like these CB's anyway. DeJean because of the secrecy surrounding his injury. Mckinstry...I see as cocky and not playing to his potential. Wiggins is just too slight in build for me, as I prefer CB's who can tackle.

I do still like Arnold and Mitchell though.

Side Notes: Latu passed the minimum thresholds in all the drills and did enough athletically to still be considered the best pass rusher in the draft.

I see rumors that the Colts had 15 to 20 representatives visit with Bowers? I'm calling BS on that one.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:55 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,640 Times in 949 Posts

All the CBs are light this year. Still strongly suspect Khyree Jackson will be a Colt.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:57 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Bowers will be gone by 15,

Looks like it’s Mitchell or Chop

All the other guys seem to have medical shit going on

I’m gonna say Mitchell is the pick as of right now
Old 03-01-2024, 11:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,640 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Bowers will be gone by 15,

Looks like it’s Mitchell or Chop

All the other guys seem to have medical shit going on

I’m gonna say Mitchell is the pick as of right now
Ballard said he's after a WR without saying it. The Eagles and Packers have 3 important things in common:

1) Both need CBs
2) Both have high-mid 20s first round picks
3) Both have 2 second round picks (GB 41 and 58, PHI 50 and 53)

At 22 or 25, one of Brian Thomas Jr. and Adonai Mitchell will be available. Both are fast 6'4" WRs with good route running ability who catch everything. I think Ballard will trade down with whoever of the Eagles and Packers gives him the better offer and pick up that extra second round pick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (03-03-2024), Racehorse (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 06:26 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Ballard said he's after a WR without saying it. The Eagles and Packers have 3 important things in common:

1) Both need CBs
2) Both have high-mid 20s first round picks
3) Both have 2 second round picks (GB 41 and 58, PHI 50 and 53)

At 22 or 25, one of Brian Thomas Jr. and Adonai Mitchell will be available. Both are fast 6'4" WRs with good route running ability who catch everything. I think Ballard will trade down with whoever of the Eagles and Packers gives him the better offer and pick up that extra second round pick.
You think they’re gonna take a WR with the their 1st pick?

I think they’ll wait and just grab Pearsall later