ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I'll probably get skewered for this.
Nice call, keep posting we all get skewered in here from time to time ...
Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Agreed; it will be odd if we don't go fishing in the free agency pool.
Hey Sherck. You probably know this. Per the CBA don't team has to spend a percentage of the cap? I want to say off the top of my head it's ~10%. If true then there's no way we get to that minimum spend threshold without dipping into FA.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Hey Sherck. You probably know this. Per the CBA don't team has to spend a percentage of the cap? I want to say off the top of my head it's ~10%. If true then there's no way we get to that minimum spend threshold without dipping into FA.
A team has to spend a minimum of 90% of the cap over a rolling five year period.

That does mean that you can spend a year or two spending under the 90% but then you pretty much have to spend it all in order to bring the rolling five year up to the 90% threshold or else end up having to pay a fine to the players association for "lost revenue" to their players.

CLE had an adjusted 2016 cap of $176.686m this year due to having rolled $20m over from 2015. They only ended up spending $130.750m in 2016 leaving an unspent amount of $46.1m that will be rolling into 2017.

That means that in 2015, they only spent 86.98%% of cap and in 2016, they only spent 74.00% of cap. That means that over the next three seasons, they need to spent at least 96.34% of cap per season in order to hit their 90% over the rolling five years.

That translates into:

$168.000m = Projected 2017 NFL salary cap
$046.123m = 2016 unspent rollover from 2016
=========
$214.123m = 2017 Cleveland Browns salary cap

$102.970m = Cap Hit of current top 51 players
$008.000m = Draft Class / slots 52 & 53 / Practice Squad / Churn space
=========
$110.970m = Current 2017 Obligations

$103.153m = Cap Space available to sign free agents

$099.378m = Amount needed to be spent ON FREE AGENTS in order to hit their 96.34%

As the players association hoped for, player salaries are going to have to rise just in order to use up the cap space.

I am unsure as to how the "fine" is determined that teams will have to pay the PA if they fall under the rolling 90% floor.

I doubt it is a 1 for 1 exchange so, in the long run, it will financially benefit the teams to fall under the 90% if that strategy fulfills their team's needs rather than spend money just to spend it.

Cheers,
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Butter (02-01-2017), IndyNorm (02-01-2017), Puck (02-04-2017), smitty46953 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
son of a bitch

it never ends with colts fans
preferably someone similar in traits of Griff Whalen, Blair White, Austin Collie.....amirite?

Last edited by Wyatt; 02-01-2017 at 04:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyatt For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (02-04-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM

now we're talking....
Old 02-01-2017, 08:21 PM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 720 Posts

Thanks Sherck. Didn't know about the 5 year running average portion of the rule. Would still be surprised if we didn't at least add a couple of FAs since we have all of that cap room and not a lot of current players to re-invest in or extend.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I like how the Giants have done it recently, honestly. Mostly build through the draft. Mostly re-sign their own or ignore free agency. But if a year comes up when Snacks Harrison, Janoris Jenkins and Olivier Vernon are available ... yes, you go look at those guys and make some moves.
You are right that is a great way to do it. Trouble with the Colts is that the draft from 2-3 yrs ago has been poor.

2013. Produced nothing
2014. Mewhort and Moncreif. And a couple backup UDFA's Kerr and Harrison
2015. Andersen, Geathers, Parry, Dorsett
2016. Has IMO turned out to be a pretty good draft so far.

I think you need to draft players that will be reaching close to their potential or expectations by year 3. Then every year you have the next class stepping up.

But because of the poor drafts it may take a yr or two of bringing in FA's to fill gaps for the next 2-4 yrs as the new guys get up to speed. Then when we have consistently decent draft classes we can resign our own, and build 99% through the draft and UDFA's

When I look back at the last few years I have to believe we are still in rebuild mode and will probably be there for 1-2 more years (when the 2015 draft class matures) unless we can find some FA's this yr even if they are 1-2 yr stop gaps.

JMO

Pete
Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

By looking at ages/injuries of players here are the positions I think Ballard will need to address in the draft

S. Mike Adams 35
OLB Cole 34. Mathis has retired
RB. Frank Gore. 33
CB. Robinson Davis (injuries)

I think we are probably set at Safety but if Hooker falls to us we might need to grab onto him

CB is very high on my list. Vontae is good but I wouldn't put him as elite anymore and we have too many injuries for this not to be a top priority. I think we need to find a new #1 CB and move VD to #2. Marshshon Lattimore??? Said to be the next Vontae Davis

OLB. I think we can get a very good OLB in round 2. Tim Williams, Takkarist McKinnley or Solomon Thomas may fall to us in the 2nd.

RB. I love Frank Gore. I think he is a beast, but his age is going to start showing eventually. Recovery time for a RB has to be brutal. I wish Ferguson would have turned out, and maybe he will with a yr under his belt, but if Ballard doesnt see it he is looking at Todman or drafting another RB. If Delvin Cook falls to us in the first I will not be upset if we take him. I'd actually like that a lot, but if not the Hunt kid might be a great pick in the 3rd.

My order of preference would be

1. CB. Unless Cook is available then I'd take him and move the everything else down a spot
2. Olb.
3. RB or ILB depending on if Cook is taken
4. OLB
5. OT
6 Punter/KO

There is depth in this class at pass rush. So I dont think there is a need to use the first pick on one.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
By looking at ages/injuries of players here are the positions I think Ballard will need to address in the draft

S. Mike Adams 35
OLB Cole 34. Mathis has retired
RB. Frank Gore. 33
CB. Robinson Davis (injuries)

I think we are probably set at Safety but if Hooker falls to us we might need to grab onto him

CB is very high on my list. Vontae is good but I wouldn't put him as elite anymore and we have too many injuries for this not to be a top priority. I think we need to find a new #1 CB and move VD to #2. Marshshon Lattimore??? Said to be the next Vontae Davis

OLB. I think we can get a very good OLB in round 2. Tim Williams, Takkarist McKinnley or Solomon Thomas may fall to us in the 2nd.

RB. I love Frank Gore. I think he is a beast, but his age is going to start showing eventually. Recovery time for a RB has to be brutal. I wish Ferguson would have turned out, and maybe he will with a yr under his belt, but if Ballard doesnt see it he is looking at Todman or drafting another RB. If Delvin Cook falls to us in the first I will not be upset if we take him. I'd actually like that a lot, but if not the Hunt kid might be a great pick in the 3rd.

My order of preference would be

1. CB. Unless Cook is available then I'd take him and move the everything else down a spot
2. Olb.
3. RB or ILB depending on if Cook is taken
4. OLB
5. OT
6 Punter/KO

There is depth in this class at pass rush. So I dont think there is a need to use the first pick on one.
1) vontae davis is still a top ten cb in this league. colts fans judge cb's way too harshly

2) olber can not just but pushed aside for other positons. it is by far our biggest need and we don't need 1. we need 2 or 3

3) this team can't afford to take a rb in the first round. typical colts fan bullshit. all offense all the time. it has been the same for 15 years. constantly wanting to put the defense on hold for 1 more offensive piece.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
1) vontae davis is still a top ten cb in this league. colts fans judge cb's way too harshly

2) olber can not just but pushed aside for other positons. it is by far our biggest need and we don't need 1. we need 2 or 3

3) this team can't afford to take a rb in the first round. typical colts fan bullshit. all offense all the time. it has been the same for 15 years. constantly wanting to put the defense on hold for 1 more offensive piece.
I agree on points 1 and 2, but the third could be said about the majority of fans of any other team.