ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 08:44 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Not calling for him to be fired. Wondering about not using cap money more than anything.

Maybe in the back of his mind he needed to make sure Luck was back and if not use money on a QB?

I understand he only wants to use FA to fill gaps but there are a lot of gaps in that defense
Ballard shit the bed this off-season. This isn’t the old nfl. There is room in the salary cap to add talent via free agency. Why wouldn’t you? Adding just cheap dudes is fine at times but our roster needed and needs playmakers.
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Elberflus was pretty highly regarded, and was the d-coordinator-in-waiting in Dallas. They weren't happy that they lost him to Indy, but Marinelli wasn't ready to retire.

I'm not going to judge Elberflus until we actually get some talent on this defensive unit.

Wilson was playing with a broken hand. Let's see how he looks when healthy.

Overall, everyone saw what they knew they were going to see. A defense lacking talent and too many young guys making mistakes like young players do.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
Elberflus was pretty highly regarded, and was the d-coordinator-in-waiting in Dallas. They weren't happy that they lost him to Indy, but Marinelli wasn't ready to retire.

I'm not going to judge Elberflus until we actually get some talent on this defensive unit.

Wilson was playing with a broken hand. Let's see how he looks when healthy.

Overall, everyone saw what they knew they were going to see. A defense lacking talent and too many young guys making mistakes like young players do.
A broken hand is not causing Wilson to :

Get beat badly by Green on the pass int call, even if it was a bad call

Get beat easily on the short TD pass

Run into his own player and loose the guy he was supposed to be covering as he ran across the line of scrimmage getting open. Wasn't a pick play, Wilson on how own just ran into someone else.

Also the horse collar tackle was a BS call. grabbed his jersey, not the pads. And that was a huge call. first and ten instead of second and 20.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Not calling for him to be fired. Wondering about not using cap money more than anything.

Maybe in the back of his mind he needed to make sure Luck was back and if not use money on a QB?

I understand he only wants to use FA to fill gaps but there are a lot of gaps in that defense
Puck, why the resistance to believing Ballard is doing a 3-4 yr rebuild? When you cut through the GM speak and listen to what he says and match it with what he’s done to me it’s the most logical answer. Frustrating as hell, but his actions start to make more sense. I keep going back to Irsay’s criticism of only getting one title in the Manning era and saying he’d rather lose more but win more titles. This right here is the losing more. If you give Luck any help you are competing for a playoff birth. Harder to build “greatness” that way. They will hold the team back through the forced youth movement for this season and next. Then they will start making moves to compete the following season. The hope is to get more than one title with Luck. I don’t agree with it, but I’m fairly confident that is the plan.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
A broken hand is not causing Wilson to :

Get beat badly by Green on the pass int call, even if it was a bad call

Get beat easily on the short TD pass

Run into his own player and loose the guy he was supposed to be covering as he ran across the line of scrimmage getting open. Wasn't a pick play, Wilson on how own just ran into someone else.

Also the horse collar tackle was a BS call. grabbed his jersey, not the pads. And that was a huge call. first and ten instead of second and 20.
Did he get beat badly? He was right there with him and got into his hands as the ball got there.

As far as running into someone, mistakes happen. That's not a technique issue or something that he does on a regular basis. Just a silly mistake. If he keeps running into his own players, then I'll worry. Otherwise I'm not going to hold something so silly against a player.

The worrying play was the TD. He played badly on that play.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Ballard shit the bed this off-season. This isn’t the old nfl. There is room in the salary cap to add talent via free agency. Why wouldn’t you? Adding just cheap dudes is fine at times but our roster needed and needs playmakers.
While that is true, it is also not the old NFL in the sense that you can push cap forward. I think he views this year as a push.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
Did he get beat badly? He was right there with him and got into his hands as the ball got there.

As far as running into someone, mistakes happen. That's not a technique issue or something that he does on a regular basis. Just a silly mistake. If he keeps running into his own players, then I'll worry. Otherwise I'm not going to hold something so silly against a player.

The worrying play was the TD. He played badly on that play.
He didn't get his hands on the ball that I recall. Green had at least a step and Green just dropped it.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I don't mind that much if this year is a development year. But next offseason he needs to bring serious talent in to round out the roster and contend for playoff wins. I see the same Andrew Luck out there, willing to take big hits to make something happen, he is not going to be around until his 40s. So this cannot be some 4 year rebuild. Not with Luck nearing 30.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-10-2018), Butter (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
He didn't get his hands on the ball that I recall. Green had at least a step and Green just dropped it.
I didn't say he got his hands on the ball. I said he got his hand into AJ Green's hands. He may have gotten a step on Wilson, but Green is a great receiver, and Wilson was at least there close enough to get into Green's hands. We'll see how he does when healthy. He may be bad, he may not. I'm just not going to judge him for trying to play with one hand.

Last edited by Maniac; 09-10-2018 at 05:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Puck (09-10-2018), Racehorse (09-10-2018)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
Dave DeGuglielmo is the coach that should be under the microscope. He was McDaniels hand picked guy & he wasn't that good in NE or Miami. I wouldn't be surprised if Reich brings in his own O-line coach next year.
And Boom
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (01-16-2019), FatDT (01-16-2019), GoBigBlue88 (01-16-2019), Pez (01-16-2019), Racehorse (01-16-2019), Spike (01-16-2019), Thorgrim (01-16-2019)