ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

View Poll Results: With the third pick...
Barkley 7 14.29%
Chubb 17 34.69%
Nelson 3 6.12%
Trade back 21 42.86%
Other 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Matt Miller's latest mock draft today. Has the Colts going with Chubb at 1.03. Here's the write-up:

Quote:
The Pick: DE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State

Bradley Chubb is special. At 6'4 ½", 275 pounds, he plays with a ridiculous amount of energy, agility and burst. As far as pure pass-rushers go, he's not quite on the level of former No. 1 picks Jadeveon Clowney or Myles Garrett, but he's right behind them. The Indianapolis Colts should be all about that.

The Colts don't have a head coach yet so we can't speculate about how Chubb would fit into a scheme, but you can be comfortable in knowing he fits in every scheme. Whether it's as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 defensive end (think Joey Bosa), he's a fit.

Chubb's talent and potential are special enough that he should be the first defensive player off the board.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
DrSpaceman (01-16-2018), FatDT (01-15-2018), Racehorse (01-15-2018), rcubed (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Matt Miller's latest mock draft today. Has the Colts going with Chubb at 1.03. Here's the write-up:
Based on this write up, he has to be the pick.

Best chance to get a difference maker, a true impact player, for the D, which is badly needed

Though I think Hooker once he is back and healthy in the secondary will be that type of player as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-16-2018), VeveJones007 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 10:38 AM

With the third pick the colts select........Bradley Chubb. This is per Mel Kiper. He just released his first mock draft and is discussing it on ESPN right now. He clarifies that his mock is what he thinks teams WILL do not SHOULD do but with Chubb he could not be more enthusiastic both in regard to his skill at his position but also with his work ethic. He says he will NEVER take a play off.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
With the third pick the colts select........Bradley Chubb. This is per Mel Kiper. He just released his first mock draft and is discussing it on ESPN right now. He clarifies that his mock is what he thinks teams WILL do not SHOULD do but with Chubb he could not be more enthusiastic both in regard to his skill at his position but also with his work ethic. He says he will NEVER take a play off.
Everything I hear about Chubb makes it more of a no-brainer. He seems like exactly what the Colts need and the type of player that Ballard loves.

I hope that also involves a heavy investment in the OL in free agency, as well as a decent MLB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (01-18-2018), Oldcolt (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

yeah, chubb seems like the best pick here. good that a player and need actually line up
Old 01-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I remember Polian saying your never pass on a franchise qb or an elite pass rusher. The two most difficult things to find in football. If Chubb has a chance to be an elite pass rusher take him. Don't fool around with trading back unless you are absolutely sure you'll get who you want. No to Nelson, good guards appear to be available in free agency but guys that can put pressure on qbs never do (unless they have beaten the shit out of the women in their lives). I agree that there are tons of holes on this team. But you can only get elite pass rushers thru the draft and it is something we are desperate for.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I remember Polian saying your never pass on a franchise qb or an elite pass rusher. The two most difficult things to find in football. If Chubb has a chance to be an elite pass rusher take him. Don't fool around with trading back unless you are absolutely sure you'll get who you want. No to Nelson, good guards appear to be available in free agency but guys that can put pressure on qbs never do (unless they have beaten the shit out of the women in their lives). I agree that there are tons of holes on this team. But you can only get elite pass rushers thru the draft and it is something we are desperate for.
There was an article a few years back, or probably more than a few by now, that pointed out that the key to the NFL is passing the ball and defending the pass. If you look at passer rating differential, its a high predictor of success in this league

And this is not just in this era, it goes back many years, even to the rush heavy days of the 70s.

Its always been true to some extent and just has become more true in the last decade : passing the ball and stopping the pass. ANd you can't stop the pass without pass rushers.

I actually think the Colts secondary has a chance to be solid next year. Not great, but good. But without a pass rush, defenders can't cover guys forever in this league. They eventually get open.

Plus with the upgraded DL that I thought performed very well last year, adding a pass rusher will made it harder to defend against the D.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-18-2018), VeveJones007 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:31 PM
testcase448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Unless we get some guards, and a tackle they're going to beat Luck like he's their wife in this division.
I agree though, gotta be Chubb. Just hope he doesn't end up like "can't miss" that misses lol
Old 01-18-2018, 01:37 PM

This is not the article I was thinking of, but is strongly illustrates the same point :

https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/...-the-playoffs/

Edited to add :

This is actually the article I first recall reading about it. Its from 2011

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/...ngdifferential

Last edited by DrSpaceman; 01-18-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:44 PM

And this is from 2016, I believe, not last year, but illustrates the point of the lack of pressure and how it affects the Colts D.

I know some don't like Football outsiders rankings, but I point it out mainly to illustrate the Colts had the lowest pressure ranking in the league that year, only less than 20% of pass plays.

They secondary actually performed middle of the pack when compared to with and without pressure standings vs the rest of the league

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...-pressure-2016