ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-22-2020, 11:12 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,666 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I think there is less than a 5% chance we draft a QB at all. Already have Rivers, JB isn't going anywhere, and they have Kelly as the 3rd. Other than getting rid of Kelly to replace him with someone that probably doesn't have his talent.

Then you have to figure out what you are going to do with your 3rd string QB. Carry 3 or risk hiding him on the practice squad.

I think there is less than a 1% chance they get rid of JB. He is on the last yr of his contract, costs to much for anyone to want to trade for him and he can win a game or two if Rivers gets dinged up.
They will keep quiet if they like a guy. But I think they have patched the hole with Rivers till a rookie comes along they like. I don’t think he is in this draft either. They likely would have stayed at 13 if they did.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:42 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
I think there is less than a 5% chance we draft a QB at all. Already have Rivers, JB isn't going anywhere, and they have Kelly as the 3rd. Other than getting rid of Kelly to replace him with someone that probably doesn't have his talent.

Then you have to figure out what you are going to do with your 3rd string QB. Carry 3 or risk hiding him on the practice squad.

I think there is less than a 1% chance they get rid of JB. He is on the last yr of his contract, costs to much for anyone to want to trade for him and he can win a game or two if Rivers gets dinged up.
I think there are two options other than "not draft a QB" in relation to QB in the draft, both of which I think are more likely.

Option 1: They fell in love with Jordan Love or Jacob Eason and they'll either trade up for their guy or stay put and get him.

Option 2: They have a Day 3 guy that they like and has developmental traits that they think could add up to a starting QB under the right conditions.

For me in this draft, here's what I see at QB:

Tier 1
Joe Burrow
Tua Tagavailoa

Tier 2
Justin Herbert
Jordan Love
Jacob Eason
Anthony Gordon

Tier 3
Jalen Hurts
Jake Fromm

Tier 4
Everyone else

That is why I'd prefer Option 2, because IMO there's one guy in Tier 2 that's universally seen as a Day 3 guy. I'd draft Anthony Gordon in round 5 or 6, and be confident that I'm getting a developmental guy at a similar level as if I draft a guy in round 2. That level of investment would not prohibit future investment in a QB, either.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:

With the expansion of the roster to 55 players, my guess is that almost every team in the league will now carry 3 QBs on their active roster.

It is just too important of a position for success in the league. Being able to guarantee development time to a QB is just too valuable.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:29 PM
Accidental Administrator

Went for DL...

34 Neville Gallimore, IDL, Oklahoma
44 Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU
75 Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn
122 K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State
160 Gabriel Davis, WR, UCF
193 Lamar Jackson, CB, Nebraska
197 Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 04-22-2020, 01:50 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Since the draft is tomorrow thought I'd give this another run. I don't see there's anyway Love is there at 34 or Dobbins at 44, but it'd be great if they were!!

34 Jordan Love, QB Utah State

44 J.K. Dobbins, RB Ohio State

75 Chase Claypool, WR Notre Dame

122 Hunter Bryant, TE Washington

160 Collin Johnson, WR Texas

193 Raequan Williams, IDL Michigan State

197 Madre Harper, CB Southern Illinois

And here is my draft from the 2nd linked simulator. Similar, but not as good of results IMO

34: R2P2 QB JORDAN LOVE UTAH STATE

44: R2P12 RB J.K. DOBBINS OHIO STATE

75: R3P11 TE HUNTER BRYANT WASHINGTON

122: R4P16 OT JACK DRISCOLL AUBURN

160: R5P14 CB LAMAR JACKSON NEBRASKA

193: R6P14 WR LAWRENCE CAGER GEORGIA

197: R6P18 S DOUGLAS COLEMAN TEXAS TECH

Last edited by IndyNorm; 04-22-2020 at 02:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
With the expansion of the roster to 55 players, my guess is that almost every team in the league will now carry 3 QBs on their active roster.

It is just too important of a position for success in the league. Being able to guarantee development time to a QB is just too valuable.

One spot must be an Olineman. And I disagree about MOST teams. I think less than half will carry a 3rd QB.

We did with Kelly at the end of the yr.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I think there are two options other than "not draft a QB" in relation to QB in the draft, both of which I think are more likely.

Option 1: They fell in love with Jordan Love or Jacob Eason and they'll either trade up for their guy or stay put and get him.

Option 2: They have a Day 3 guy that they like and has developmental traits that they think could add up to a starting QB under the right conditions.

For me in this draft, here's what I see at QB:

Tier 1
Joe Burrow
Tua Tagavailoa

Tier 2
Justin Herbert
Jordan Love
Jacob Eason
Anthony Gordon

Tier 3
Jalen Hurts
Jake Fromm

Tier 4
Everyone else

That is why I'd prefer Option 2, because IMO there's one guy in Tier 2 that's universally seen as a Day 3 guy. I'd draft Anthony Gordon in round 5 or 6, and be confident that I'm getting a developmental guy at a similar level as if I draft a guy in round 2. That level of investment would not prohibit future investment in a QB, either.

Gordon and Eason are not tier 2 with the Colts

Kelly is better than Gordon and Eason is not anywhere close to tier 2. He is the mix between Jeff George and Ryan Leaf
Old 04-22-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
One spot must be an Olineman. And I disagree about MOST teams. I think less than half will carry a 3rd QB.

We did with Kelly at the end of the yr.
No, one of the two extra game day spots must be an O-lineman..

The two extra team roster spots can be any position.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
Puck (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
No, one of the two extra game day spots must be an O-lineman..

The two extra team roster spots can be any position.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Good info thanks.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:52 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Gordon and Eason are not tier 2 with the Colts

Kelly is better than Gordon and Eason is not anywhere close to tier 2. He is the mix between Jeff George and Ryan Leaf
Have you watched film on Gordon and Eason? I understand why those comparisons come up for Eason, but you'd really need the psychological profile to definitively say that. I personally like Gordon because I like his ball placement and his ability to extend plays, and those are two traits that have become exponentially more important as the years have passed at the QB position.