ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-04-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I'll probably get skewered for this but with all our defensive needs acknowledged.....we need another wr. Moncreif and Dorsett aren't thrilling me.
Rodgers can compete with them for reps. See who deserves the #2 and 3 spots and go from there. Beyond that, maybe an undrafted camp standout.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:21 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

No chance Ballard takes an offensive player in the first. Zero.

I want an OLB but I'm not sure the value will be there in the first. Need to do more research but after the top two prospects it seems like a bunch of guys with limits or flaws better off in the second or later. If the talent is there at ILB or DL or DB I won't mind taking that player.

But this thread is about FA. I think the best approach to FA is to either get serious difference makers, or sign guys that fit the culture you want.

Last edited by FatDT; 02-04-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:27 PM

I think Ballard will make a splash in free agency signing a defensive lineman or linebacker. Possibly Kawann Short or Melvin Ingram or Nick Perry
Old 02-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
No chance Ballard takes an offensive player in the first. Zero.

I want an OLB but I'm not sure the value will be there in the first. Need to do more research but after the top two prospects it seems like a bunch of guys with limits or flaws better off in the second or later. If the talent is there at ILB or DL or DB I won't mind taking that player.

But this thread is about FA. I think the best approach to FA is to either get serious difference makers, or sign guys that fit the culture you want.
Yes FA thread. Which was my point. Because we are behind in having players to develop. We need to go into FA for a defensive playmaker Even if he is older. To give the last couple Draft classes a chance to catch up. There is not one position on defense I am happy enough with to say it doesn't need to be looked at. If we can get another top notch corner in FA then that puts less stress on the olbs to get pressure. Look at NE. Brady doesn't get pressured much due to the quick passing game. His Oline is only protecting for 2-3 seconds before the ball is gone. Without 2stud corners the pass rush won't mean much

If they can get a corner in the draft. They could bring in a vet at olb that doesn't need to get 12 sacks a yr. if they pick up a corner in FA that opens the door for RB and OLB in the draft. I agree with you. We will probably reach for any of the Olb available at 14. They can be had in rounds 2-3
Old 02-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
1) vontae davis is still a top ten cb in this league. colts fans judge cb's way too harshly

2) olber can not just but pushed aside for other positons. it is by far our biggest need and we don't need 1. we need 2 or 3

3) this team can't afford to take a rb in the first round. typical colts fan bullshit. all offense all the time. it has been the same for 15 years. constantly wanting to put the defense on hold for 1 more offensive piece.
I haven't followed the RB Cook too closely, but I hear he has some off field issues. Don't want to invest in a head case in the first round. I agree with you, I believe we really do need to address the defense heavily this year . I would not draft an OLB in the 1st unless he is graded as a first round pick. I would take a guy like cornerback Lattimore over OLB's that are projected to be 2nd and 3rd round picks because we can't keep fucking up first round picks.
Sign one or two quality free agent defensive players and pay them. We need to quit half assing it like Griggs did bringing in marginal players. Last but not least, Pagano needs to get the fuck out of here, otherwise nothing else really matters.

Last edited by Spike; 02-04-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
preferably someone similar in traits of Griff Whalen, Blair White, Austin Collie.....amirite?
the little white boners would be saluting every sunday
Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I think Ballard will make a splash in free agency signing a defensive lineman or linebacker. Possibly Kawann Short or Melvin Ingram or Nick Perry
Ballard's bread and butter are DBs. My guess is he'll think he can find good DBs in the draft, potentially leaving more room to sign DL/LB like you suggest.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Just wanted to throw this out. The two teams in the SB have 34 sacks each. Indianapolis has 33

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/s...ck-yards/2016/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...e/seasontype/2

So IMO and the stats would agree... pass rush while needed is over rated compared to a good secondary CB and Safety. NT and ILB

Buoye from Houston might be a great player to look at to play opposite of Vontae. I think we are good at safety. Whether we keep Adams or not. I think he will be gone. But we need to keep Butler to play there.

Hopefully Andersen makes a bigger come back a yr removed from injury, so with a NT in FA they can concentrate on ILB and OLB in the draft.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Buoye seems like a guy that tried hard in a contract year. He could've benefited from playing on a very good defense. I would not give him Janoris Jenkins money at all.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Just wanted to throw this out. The two teams in the SB have 34 sacks each. Indianapolis has 33

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/s...ck-yards/2016/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...e/seasontype/2

So IMO and the stats would agree... pass rush while needed is over rated compared to a good secondary CB and Safety. NT and ILB

Buoye from Houston might be a great player to look at to play opposite of Vontae. I think we are good at safety. Whether we keep Adams or not. I think he will be gone. But we need to keep Butler to play there.

Hopefully Andersen makes a bigger come back a yr removed from injury, so with a NT in FA they can concentrate on ILB and OLB in the draft.
More to a pass rush than just sacks.