ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
I would rather wait till the 4th and hopefully Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine is still there. Powerfull kid can get the tough yards, but not a burner?
I like Perine too in the 4th. There's got to be a run on these RBs eventually.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I agree that pass rush is still a major need, but I just don't think the value is there in round 2. I'm almost certain that a CB will be the top remaining player on their board at 2.14. Given that it's still a significant need, I would not have a problem with that.

This is a multi-year process. Even if they come out of this draft without a pass rusher, it can still be a major step forward if they shore up the secondary, add a quality RB, ILB, etc.
I like DeMarcus Walker and Jordan Willis. But I agree there are several ways to upgrade the defense and taking the best player at one of those positions makes the most sense.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
My 2 cents is that Ballard was probably picking between Hooker and Allen. That late report on Foster's shoulder is what sent him tumbling.

In the Colts defense, Allen would have played the weak-side, 3-tech DT position due to his lack of heights/length which is a bit more single gap shooting rather than the strong-side, 5-tech DE which often has to take on 2-gap responsibility and double teams from OT and TE. It is a role that I think Allen would have been perfect for.

The Colts currently have Anderson, Ridgeway and T.Y. McGill playing DT. Not a bad depth chart at the position so Allen would have displaced one of them.

Now, the kicker here is that Anderson IS tall enough/long enough to play the strong-side 5-tech DE spot on the D-Line putting him in rotation with Langford.

D-Line if we had taken Allen:

DT = Allen, Ridgeway, McGill
NT = Hankins, Woods, Parry
DE = Langford, Anderson, Hunt

However, at safety, if Ballard was not convinced that Green was the free safety he was looking for then taking Hooker is a brilliant move because he is still growing into his prime (his ceiling is high) and already has the instincts and range to be impact.

I like the 3 safety flexibility that Hooker, Geathers and Green could bring to the field on nickel and dime packages. I like the concept of Green as the nickel CB. I like having options. I hope Green shows this year that Hooker and Geathers are going to have to work hard to see the field!

Great pick, IMO. A sure top ten talent at 1-15 is exactly what I was hoping for.
THANK YOU for the WR, RB and QB run in the top 12. It helped us greatly!

Cheers,

The quick was so quick I think Ballard made his decision as soon as he knew Philly's pick
Old 04-28-2017, 11:06 AM

It's a bit of a gamble- there are injury issues and he is raw. But more than
one scout has likened him to Reed and on a number of Mocks he was a top
7 pick. If he checks out he could be the ball hawk the Colts have never
had at the position and dramatically change the defense. I'm on board
with it.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanked 1,238 Times in 694 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertjones View Post
It's a bit of a gamble- there are injury issues and he is raw. But more than
one scout has likened him to Reed and on a number of Mocks he was a top
7 pick. If he checks out he could be the ball hawk the Colts have never
had at the position and dramatically change the defense. I'm on board
with it.
I have some reservations about the pick but if he can stay healthy he certainly has top shelf potential. I would love to see him come in and set the tone for our secondary which desperately needs an identity. Draft a starting caliber corner and line him up with Davis and Butler in the slot and we could suddenly have a position of strength. Hell, if Hooker proves to be a ball hawk we could call our secondary "The Red Light District."
Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 AM

If he only gets to a Bethea-level of productivity, is he worth the pick?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I won't be that upset if we do take a CB, we could use one (or two). But the cupboard is still bare at OLB, we don't have much pass rush, and there are no veteran options just sitting out there like there are for CB.

Hooker upgrades the entire secondary, but adding pass rush pushes QBs into bad decisions quicker. Pass rush and a ball hawk safety benefit each other greatly.
Again -- you're not gonna fix the entire defense in one draft. Ballard has made big strides at FS, NT and positive strides at SAM (Simon>Walden) and EDGE (Sheard>Mathis) so far.

You're not wrong in this team needing EDGE dynamism still. But I really believe the CBs on Day 2 will be infinitely better players than the EDGE players on Day 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I agree that pass rush is still a major need, but I just don't think the value is there in round 2. I'm almost certain that a CB will be the top remaining player on their board at 2.14. Given that it's still a significant need, I would not have a problem with that.

This is a multi-year process. Even if they come out of this draft without a pass rusher, it can still be a major step forward if they shore up the secondary, add a quality RB, ILB, etc.
Well, if you really think this is a multi year ( rebuilding ) process, they might as well pick up the best remaining OL prospect.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
Well, if you really think this is a multi year ( rebuilding ) process, they might as well pick up the best remaining OL prospect.
depends on how they have that player rated vs a CB or rush.

It will be a multi year process and we have multiple holes to fill.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
depends on how they have that player rated vs a CB or rush.

It will be a multi year process and we have multiple holes to fill.
So get the best available OL to make sure that Luck is still upright when and if the process is completed.