ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-27-2017, 07:19 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Assuming that the new coaching staff sticks with the 3-4, how does Chubb fit in as a 3-4 OLB?
Old 12-27-2017, 07:27 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I don't watch enough CFB to have my own opinions, but it does strike me that I haven't really ever seen Chubb discussed/written about like I saw Garrett or Clowney or Von Miller etc. Maybe I just haven't seen the right discussions, but I do wonder how much Chubb is really a top 3 player on talent vs a top 3 player because edge-rushers are valued.
Chubb isn’t on that level, but the only player in this draft that is on that level is a RB. Chubb will be a very good player nonetheless.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:43 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

I struggle with taking a G or RB with a top 3 pick.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:47 PM

Thanked 4,362 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Most do, but if the others do not grade out, you have to take what helps the franchise the most.Nelson could be that sort of player. Barkley is very talented, but a luxury that we cannot afford.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTails View Post
They've been committed to fixing the oline the last 5 years. The problem is the scouts, coaches, and GM don't have a clue what a good O linemen is. How many turds did they draft the last 5 years.

They should be drafting 0 skill positions this off season. We need trenches and LBs - that's what wins championships.

If they trade down they can go fk themselves. We needs studs not projects or reaches.

If pags and all the other coaches are still here in 10 days none of this will matter anyway.
As far as top picks they have used for OL in the last 5 years it as been Mewhort and Kelley, both of whom have been pretty good picks. Mewhort has been injured, but serviceable at least when healthy.

And it was the prior GM that drafted them.

They have not made a real commitment to fix the OL other than that. Second rate FAs and mid to lower round draft picks.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I certainly do not want a RB taken with a top 3 pick.

A guard I understand is questionable with a pick that high but if they are a projected to be a definite 10 years solid starter in this league, given the OL problems, and there is no chance to trade down a bit and still get him, I am fine with it.

If the pick works out no one in 5 years is going to be criticizing your for taking a guard that high. We saw this when Freeney was selected. The consensus of EVERYONE at the time was good player, but Colts took him too high. Who cares? He was the cornerstone of the D for the better part of a decade.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 12:14 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
the little i have watched of him didnt really stand out. he doesn't seem to have a great get off. i just don't see the athleticism. but i haven't watched much and i am no expert.

i mainly want the position right now. i just don't want to come away without an elite type pass rusher when we suffered through the nonsense of this season.
Or if there isn't an elite one available, don't draft him top 3. If the scouting staff doesn't determine there is a Pro Bowl potential edge rusher at 3, I'd rather they trade down and take that EDGE later, maybe even in round 2.

Not saying that's the case for Chubb. Just saying, if the scouting staff determines he's more Charles Harris than Myles Garrett.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:38 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I've only watched one game and some highlights of Chubb. Obviously not an expert or even that into CFB. The one game was against FSU and he was a real problem to deal with the entire game. He abused the QB. Two sacks and I don't know how many QB hits.

I've read he's a more athletic Derek Barnett, who I was very high on last year. I don't really see that so much. I agree he's the better athlete but to me Barnett was stronger, a lineman that could transition to OLB but was probably a better fit in an even front rushing with his hand down. Chubb seems like the better transition prospect.

I like that he is athletic enough to not worry about, that he tries hard, that he produced consistently, and that he wants to be great. He's not a Garrett or Clown eye, those guys don't come along often. But I like him well enough that I'll trust it's a good pick if Ballard likes him.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 02:09 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Or if there isn't an elite one available, don't draft him top 3. If the scouting staff doesn't determine there is a Pro Bowl potential edge rusher at 3, I'd rather they trade down and take that EDGE later, maybe even in round 2.

Not saying that's the case for Chubb. Just saying, if the scouting staff determines he's more Charles Harris than Myles Garrett.
What if he’s more James Harrison/Chandler Jones than Clowney/Bosa? Problem is also that this isn’t taking place in a vacuum. The top of this draft is relatively weak and they may be better off staying put and taking a good (but not franchise-changing) player.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 AM
testcase448

If ... IF.... we could trade number three for two first round picks, this year and one next year, AND a fairly early second round pick this year, I'd do it
We can't fix this train wreck in one year anyway. Normally I'd cringe at two additional rookie offensive line starting in front of a surgically repaired Luck, but the o-line is so bad it would be an improvement. IF Luck can ever comes back he won't last long with what we have.
A Tarik Glenn, Adam Meadows type draft would help keep Luck alive